AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL INDONESIA NATIONAL OFFICE
THE CONTEXT Amnesty International are adapting to a changing world by building on Amnesty International’s 50+ years of ground-breaking achievements for justice and freedom. We believe that by deepening our work in new locations we will be even more in line with our mission and core values. Our activists and staff around the world will have increased direct and indirect contact with defenders, partners and human rights violations in different parts of the world with our IS staff “closer to the ground”. As we build significant membership in the South, we will see international solidarity and democratic decision-making in full bloom.
We are now about to embark on the establishment of a new National chapter of Amnesty in Indonesia. As such we are seeking applications from leaders in the region to join our movement and lead the work in Indonesia.
ABOUT THE ROLE The role will align and be committed to the vision, values and the mission of the organisation. The Director is accountable for the effective leadership and management of AI Indonesia and will work with the new Regional Director of the South East Asia Regional Office to establish and develop Amnesty International in the region. S/he will play an active role in global networks, working with other stakeholders and partners to develop the profile and impact of Amnesty International.
The Director will work towards self-sustainability within the next 3 to 4 years. S/he will lead and manage the organisation to deliver on the strategic objectives and set out a plan for the next 5 years.
Amnesty International’s broad objectives in Indonesia within five years are to:
- Contribute to changing the lives of Indonesians through concrete improvements in Indonesia’s national human rights record
- Strengthen the power of right-holders and support the human rights movement through innovative options for engagement and activism
- Continue to build a growing constituency of support for Amnesty International in Indonesia through a strong communications, mobilisation and fundraising programme
- Ensure that an Amnesty International presence in Indonesia innovates and leads with new thinking and approaches
- Leverage Indonesia’s influence regionally and globally by calling on the government to be a global leader promoting human rights domestically, bilaterally and internationally
The role would lead and manage the AI Senior Management Team to monitor performance and impact in delivering on the strategic objectives through effective management of people and resources, while working effectively with the AI Indonesia Advisory Board. S/he will ensure a proactive approach in maintaining a public profile for AI Indonesia, including effective communication with the Government and other NGOs.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have:
- more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights
- more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere. We can only do this because of the generous donations from millions of people around the world.
FREEDOM, JUSTICE, EQUALITY – LET’S GET TO WORK