The Zoological Society of London is an international wildlife conservation organization with a focus on science-based and pragmatic solutions. ZSL has been active in Indonesia for about 10 years, with a particular focus on the overlap between industrial development and biodiversity conservation. ZSL’s Indonesia is based in Bogor, West Java, with existing field projects in Jambi and South Sumatera. We are now looking for:
Wildlife Crime Investigation Unit Member
Terms and Condition
Start Date : Agustus 2017
Duration of Contract : One year fixed-term contract, with potential extend
Work Area : Jambi and Posible travel around Sumatera
Hours of Work : Monday to Friday from 09.00 am up to 05.00 pm
Reporting to : Wildlife Crime Investigation Unit Coordinator
Key Purpose of the Job
This role will provide an investigation activity to crack down and prevent illegal action such as wildlife poaching and trading in Berbak-Sembilang landscape. Prevention activities include tracking the illegal wildlife trade lanes, and manages a network of informants around Berbak-Sembilang and/or Jambi-South Sumatera Province. Collaborate with law enforcement agencies in an ambush activities / arrest the suspect of wildlife crimes.
• Collect data about poaching activities and actors involved
• Implementing dan involved in wildlife crime investigators activities and the informant network
in the Berbak-Sembilang Landscape;
• Communicate with relevant stakeholders such as Police District, Ministry of Environment and
Forestry (MoEF) investigators, and traditional leaders;
• Conducting investigation activities by blending in the local community;
• Ensure the achievement of project activities and high performance in accordance with the
project work plan;
• Weekly reporting to the Wildlife Crime Investigation Unit Coordinator
• Establish and manage communication and coordination with other ZSL teams and ZSL partners,
including National Park (NP) authority and communities across landscape
• This post will require strong collaboration with NP officers
• Communication and coordination with stakeholders specially law enforcement agencies including
the Indonesian Police District and Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) investigators.
This post will be mentally demanding, often requiring the ability to make quick decisions in unanticipated situations, finding solutions, and deciding upon the best strategy.
This post will be based primarily in the field.
Flexibility is important; the post-holder needs to be able to respond to changing priorities as required and the fact that the post-holder will often be working undercover
Expectations of Job Holder
• To ensure that the ZSL policy for equal opportunities is adhered to and promoted in all
aspects of the post holder’s work;
• To ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and
responsibilities attached to this post;
• To demonstrate professionalism towards handling sensitive and confidential information;
• To comply with and promote ZSL’s Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake
recommended Health and Safety training as and when necessary;
• To be committed to professional self-development, through participation in in-service training
as necessary for carrying out the job successfully;
• To undertake such other duties as are commensurate with the objectives and grade of the post.
NB: This job description is designed to outline a range of main duties that may be encountered. It is not designed to be an exhaustive list of tasks and can be varied in consultation with the post holder in order to reflect changes in the job or the organisation.
A. Qualifications & Experience
1. A minimum of a senior high school level or new graduate of a first level
2. Experience working in the forest, specifically peat swamp forest
3. Extensive experience in wildlife conservation or a closely related area;
4. Prior experience in local community project.
1. An understanding of Indonesian legal procedures and processes on crime
2. Prior in-depth knowledge of the wildlife trade in Indonesia.
C. Skills & Abilities
1. Able to work under any circumstances, strong prioritization skills, able to
deal with both scheduled and unscheduled tasks
2. Able to work independently and in as a team member
3. Has good ability to communicate and mingle with the local community
D. Other Requirements
1. Willing to travel extensively across Sumatra and beyond;
2. Having a valid driving lisence for car and motorbike.
Application proceduresREGISTER/LOGIN to read more, it's FREE