Issue Date: 13/05/2019
Closing Date: 27/05/2019
Vacancy Notice No: WR/INO/19/009/APW
Title: Consultant – Development of Measles and Rubella Elimination Strategic Plan
Duty Station: Jakarta, with need-based travels to selected provinces (low performance and good performance), Vaccine manufacture
Organizational Location: WHO Country Office – Indonesia, Jakarta
Contract type: Consultant
Duration: 3 months
Remuneration: Rp 142,534,500 Travel cost will be based on government rate (SBM 2019) Terms of payment:
• Countersigned Contract (25%);
• Submission of progress report, both in English and Bahasa Indonesia, as per the terms of reference & deliverable (40%);
• Submission of final report, both in English and Bahasa Indonesia, as per the terms of reference & deliverable, poster of the activity and financial statement (35%)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
A mid-term review of the Strategic Plan for measles elimination and rubella/CRS control by 2020 in WHO South East Asia Region 2014-2020 concluded that the goal is off-track and recommended to extend the goal of measles elimination and also recommended to upgrade the goal of rubella control to rubella elimination. The mid-term review also recognized the high level of political commitment and the efforts made by national governments to achieve the goal in the Region.
The Ministry of Health in Indonesia has requested assistance from WHO Indonesia to develop a new strategic plan for measles and rubella elimination in line with the Global and the Regional strategic plan which would include identification of activities in the following key areas:
1) Achieving and sustaining high immunization coverage for two-dose MRCV through routine and supplemental immunization activities.
2) High quality, elimination standard surveillance
3) Laboratory support
4) Outbreak preparedness and response
5) Social mobilization and communication
While the above strategies should be considered at a national level, implementation and monitoring performance of specific activities should take into consideration sub-national disparities in EPI and surveillance program performance and variations in operationalization of existing activities in the above areas of work. The strategic plan should describe sub-national disparities and outline targeted activities to address program needs accordingly. A draft outline for a 2018-2022 Measles and Rubella Elimination Strategic Plan was developed by WHO SEARO.
From the perspective of measles and rubella programme, Indonesia will have to divided into Epidemiological Regions based on the epidemiology of disease transmission and programmatic performance almost similar to that done for other vaccine preventable diseases like maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination (MNTE). The MNTE programme divided Indonesia into four Region
• Region 1: Java and Bali islands which includes the following provinces Bali, Banten, Central Java, East Java, DKI Jakarta, West Java and Yogyakarta
• Region 2: Sumatera Island which includes the following provinces Ache, Sumatera north, Sumatera West, Riau, Jambi, Sumatera South, Bengkulu, Lampung, Bangka Belitung, Kepulauan Riau
• Region 3: Kalimantan, Sulawesi, NTT, NTB, Maluku and Papua islands which includes the following provinces East Kalimantan, West Kalimantan, North Kalimantan, South Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, North Sulawesi, South Sulawesi, Central Sulawesi, West Sulawesi, Sulawesi Tenggara, Gorontolo, Nusa Tenggara Barat and Nusa Tenggara Timur, Maluku, North Maluku, Papua and West Papua
The Ministry of Health and WHO Indonesia EPI teams have conducted measles programmatic risk assessments at the provincial level and that could be used to validate is a similar approach as used by MNTE program can be feasible for measles and rubella elimination efforts.
SUMMARY OF ASSIGNED DUTIES:
Terms of Reference
The consultant is expected to work closely with the MOH, related cross sectoral and in-country partners to:
1) Conduct desk review of available documents, such routine immunization program, Measles Rubella laboratories, Case Based measles surveillance, school immunization, communication strategy and analysis for implementation of SIAs (Time and target population)
2) Drafting of measles and rubella elimination strategic plan for the period 2020-2024 including the development of a tiered approach to implementation and performance monitoring by epidemiological block as well as post- elimination sustainability plan;
3) Solicit and coordinate technical expertise from partners and stakeholders on the key areas of activities outlined in the strategic plan;
4) Facilitate technical consultation on the draft strategic document with various stakeholders at district, province and national level in consultation with MOH
5) Provide input on translation of the strategic plan for measles and rubella elimination into cMYPA activities
6) Work closely with UNICEF, MR laboratories network, Biofarma, Professional (IDAI, IDI, IBI and PPNI), Red Cross/IFRC and others related NGOs.
7) Work closely with designated health economist and other stakeholder to support in the costing of the Strategic Plan.
8) Work closely with designated international consultant of MR strategic plan
a) Document of Indonesia Measles and Rubella Elimination Strategic Plan 2020-2024 and estimation cost in Bahasa Indonesia.
b) The Measles and rubella strategic plan in line with Regional MR strategic plan 2019 – 2024
c) Report of the key discussion and conclusion from various consultations and discussion with key stakeholders and summary of the key activities conducted for costing of the Strategic Plan
Tentative Agenda of the activity:
• By 10 June – 9 July 2019: Desk Review; Review risk assessments and other available documents, (Case Based Measles Surveillance, routine immunization, SIAs, school immunization, MR laboratory and communication strategy)
• Field visit to the provinces with good and low performance of measles and rubella (surveillance and immunization program), Puskesmases, hospitals and Biofarma as vaccine manufacture.
• By 10 July – 7 August 2019: Draft of strategic Plan of Measles and Rubella Elimination Strategy. Coordination with International consultant.
• By 8 August – 2 September 2019: Support costing exercise for strategic plan
• By 3 Sept – 9 Sept 2019: Document Indonesian MR strategic Plan in Bahasa
• Final technical and financial report
Methods / work process
Official Travel Involved
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, ETC.
2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural
4. Producing results
5. Moving forward in a changing environment
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge and skills in implementing the activities of measles elimination and rubella control strategy, especially surveillance of measles rubella and CRS, immunization program (measles campaign and routine immunization).
• Analytical skill to identify best strategy to achieve measles/rubella elimination goal.
• Good writing skill and more favorable the experience in writing the MR strategic plan.
• Know well government structure and policy and good communication skill.
Essential: University degree in medicine or Public health.
Desirable: Master graduate of public health
Essential: At least 7 years’ experience working in the MOH government of Indonesia and specially for immunization program and or VPD surveillance
Desirable: Have an experience in the MR campaign activities/ experience in developing and writing the strategic plan for any program.
Fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and English
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
Computer literacy: Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications and email
LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED