Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. We are currently looking to fill the following position for our office in Manokwari, West Papua:
West Papua Landscape Communication and Outreach Coordinator
West Papua Landscape Communication and Outreach Coordinator will support Conservation International’s landscape communications and outreach in West Papua, mainly related to International Climate Initiative (IKI) project for peatland and mangrove conservation and management, climate change mitigation/adaptation, and sustainable landscape/forest conservation projects. This position will be mainly responsible to implement IKI Project communications strategy and plan for West Papua to achieve project objectives and outcomes, as well as to support other communications needs for Conservation International’s landscape project in the Province, with strong narratives that distributed through various types of communications materials and activities across multiple-channels.
This position requires passionate personnel who have strong understanding of climate changes, environmental issues, specifically peat, mangrove, and sustainable landscapes approach; and local context in West Papua, and able to use and transform those knowledges in various communications materials, tailored to key target audience based on the specific communications objectives. He/she must have proven writing skills, analytic, creativity and must be able to perform under pressure. The position will be working directly under supervision of West Papua Sr. Landscape Program Manager, with technical communications supervision from Program Development and IKI Communications Manager, and collaboratively working with IKI project team and West Papua communications and program team members.
- Prepare communication and outreach contents:
- Support the development of field communication contents such as story from field, landscape, information, one pager, press release, media briefing, social media content, and design graphic
- Provide communications support to the implementation of project activities, such as taking minutes of meeting, prepare presentation/communications materials, photo and/or video documentation
- Support the program team to develop program and outreach materials with objective to promoting behaviour change, such as training materials, etc. in coordination with district field communications team (pilot project sites) for livelihood activities
- Provide materials to implement IKI communications plan for West Papua, including social media, blog, website, and news portal
- Support West Papua Landscape Manager in preparing monthly report, including to provide inputs for IKI monthly bullets to CI HQ team
- Keep all relevant Means of Verification (MOV) of IKI Project activities in West Papua and share them monthly to IKI M&E Coordinator, copied to West Papua Landscape Manager, IKI Sr. PME Manager, and IKI Project Communication and Reporting Manager
- Execute the landscape project communications activities in West Papua:
- Support the implementation of field outreach, communications, and advocacy strategies to support policy and program implementation for West Papua
- Support the development of West Papua landscape project’s communications materials to increase West Papua stakeholder’s awareness about the PMEs/climate change/sustainable landscape related issues, call to action, and advocacy, with large portion to IKI Project, such as executive report, project/event report, infographic, policy brief, press release, etc. according to the communications plan, in close coordination with West Papua Sr. Landscape Program Manager, and IKI Project Communication and Reporting Manager
- Strengthen Conservation International’s relationships with local media in West Papua (mainly Manokwari), through regular media gathering/updates and updating media database in coordination with respective communications team in each location (Province to district)
- Support the development of lessons learned and best practices document to support the communications strategy and knowledge management plan
- Knowledge Management and Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Maintain IKI Project Sharepoint by regularly updating all final documents including shortlisted photo/video documentation from West Papua Landscape Project
- Maintain Conservation International’s digital images library (TandemVault) in close coordination with IKI Project Communication and Reporting Manager
- Event Organizer:
- Support the program team to organize both in-person and virtual project activities, in Manokwari, as well as in the target district, in close collaboration with program team/communications team in each location. The activities may consist of but not limited to workshop, training, field visit, FGD, socialization, etc.
- Support with logistics and administration arrangement (in collaboration with relevant program/operations team) that include producing minutes of meeting, banner, and documentation.
- Assist to organize regular coordination meeting (as needed) both with internal and external stakeholders, and support the minutes of meeting and follow up, in close coordination with West Papua Landscape Manager and IKI project team
- Assist to establishing and maintaining good relationships with key stakeholders in West Papua (Province and District) including government agencies, private sector, NGOs, media, and other stakeholders.
- Assist to preparing presentations for team meetings and external workshops, including presentations to community groups, government agencies, or private sector partner audiences.
- Prepare technical reports as necessary.
- This position requires high passionate individual who have strong understanding of local context in West Papua, political sensitivities, government’s priorities and commitment, as well as traditional knowledge
- Strong understanding of related environmental issues, mainly peat, mangrove, climate change, and sustainable landscapes approach
- Proven writing skills and solid experiences in writing and creating various communications products to a wide range of audience
- Basic understanding in behaviour change communications and ability to develop communications materials with human centre approach
- Ability to translate technical reports into popular materials to various types of stakeholders, tailored to key target audience based on the specific communications objectives.
- At least 5-6 years of experience working in development sector, preferably in environmental NGO with solid experience of producing various communications materials, specifically for advocacy and outreach which includes policy brief, executive summary.
- Basic understanding of digital communications
- Excellent in written and oral communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Commitment to work in the field and CI field office, based in Manokwari and willing to travel to field project sites in remote areas
- Basic photography and video editing
- Facilitation skills
- Digital media savvy
Please send your current resume and cover letter (no more than 4 pages) to:
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mail with this format:
< WPCO-C > – < your name >
Closing date for the application is April 9, 2021
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified).
For more information about CI, please visit our web:
Indonesia.conservation.org // www.conservation.org