USAID SEGAR is seeking Value Chain Specialists (3 posts) and Enumerators (14 posts) for commodity chain analysis in project sites in Aceh, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, East Kalimantan. The details are:
- 1 Value Chain Specialist (code: AC-VC)
- 4 Enumerators (code: AC-EN)
West Kalimantan site:
- 1 Value Chain Specialist (code: WK-VC)
- 4 Enumerators (code: WK-EN)
East Kalimantan site:
- 1 Value Chain Specialist (code: EK-VC)
- 4 Enumerators (code: EK-EN)
Central Kalimantan site:
- 2 Enumerators (code: CK-EN)
USAID SEGAR is a five-year (2021 – 2026) Activity designed to advance Indonesia´s development objectives in balancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use with inclusive economic and livelihoods development. To accomplish this, targeted subnational jurisdictions with high conservation values (HCV) and high carbon stock (HCS) will be supported to improve management of natural resources (NR) that measurably conserves biodiversity, decreases greenhouse gas emissions from unsustainable land use, and promotes sustainable and inclusive economic growth. USAID SEGAR works in four regions with total twelve intervention districts; 1) Aceh (Aceh Tamiang, Aceh Utara, Aceh Timur); 2) Central Kalimantan (Seryan, Kotawaringin Barat); 3) West Kalimantan (Ketapang, Kubu Raya, Sanggau, Sintang); and 4) East Kalimantan (Berau, Kutai Timur, Mahakam Ulu).
The private sector, particularly companies involved in the production of district-level commodities, are key to improved NR management and conservation via the implementation of environmental and social governance (ESG) standards, as well as the application of good agricultural practices (GAP) by smallholders linked to these commodity value chains. Private sector engagement (PSE) within USAID SEGAR seeks to protect HCV and HCS areas and conserve biodiversity through expanding the sustainable production, processing and commercialization of key commodities.
Value chain specialists will analyse all data that has been collected by USAID SEGAR’s PSE Team and assigned enumerators, prepare materials to be presented in validation workshops, present study findings, and prepare reports for commodity supply chains at each site. Enumerators will collect and summarize primary data from interviews with key actors along the value chain of selected commodity in each district, including detailed lists of all identified stakeholders. Special attention will be placed on commodity production in and around HCV/HCS areas within USAID SEGAR-supported districts.
- Collect primary data from the key actors along the selected commodity value chains in USAID SEGAR-supported districts in Aceh, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan and East Kalimantan.
- Analyze and validate the findings of the value chain mapping of the selected commodities.
- Map selected commodity value chains in and around vulnerable ecosystems in these areas.
Output and Outcome
- Generation of novel primary data on commodity value chains.
- Commodity value chain analysis.
- Report on mapping of selected commodity supply chain in and around vulnerable ecosystems.
Commodity supply chains mapped, results prioritized in terms of level of threat, and incorporated into activity planning.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Value Chain Specialist (LOE: 50 days)
- 18 days – Analysis of data
- 1 day – Present preliminary findings in validation workshops
- 15 days – Write and submit draft report
- 1 day – Present findings to USAID SEGAR and key provincial and district stakeholders
- 15 days – Write and submit final report
Enumerators (LOE: 14 days)
- 1 day – Participate in briefing
- 10 days – Interviews with key actors and data collection
- 3 days – Summarize findings
Value Chain Specialists
- January 14, 2022 – Report on preliminary findings
- February 11, 2022 – Draft report & Presentation of draft mapping results
- February 18, 2022 – Final report (incorporating USAID SEGAR comments and all infographics)
- January 14, 2022 – Summary of interview and data tabulation; Detailed list of identified stakeholders (name, address, telephone number, ID number, commodity, land area (Ha), available certification (i.e., ISPO, RSPO, PROPER, SLVK, FSC, etc.), HCV/HCS status, details of buyer, etc.)
Value Chain Specialists
- Master’s degree from reputable university.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in value chain development/market likages for agriculture commodity trading/produce, market assessments, local economic development, stratetig planning.
- Experience in working with international donor organizations, or with government, authorities at provincial/district/national level.
- Overall understanding of the Agri Value Chains and development in Indonesia (specifically-but not limited to oil palm, rubber, cocoa, coconut, coffee, pepper in Aceh or Kalimantan).
- Experience in designing and implementing research, analysis, report writing.
- Strong oral and written English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, economics, management, social science or related fields.
- Experience in data collection, administering questionnaires, conducting interviews, and entering data.
- Demonstrated work experiences in similar assignments for crop production economics or gross margin analysis and agricultural value chains.
- Fluency in speaking and understanding Bahasa Indonesia and English.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV or Resume to SEGARrecruit@chemonics.com with the subject line “Code_Your Name”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.