Functional Title : Protection Associate
Total staff needed : 4 persons
Category & Level : UNOPS, Individual Contractor Agreement, LICA-6 Level.
Duty Station :Medan (North Sumatra Province), or Pekanbaru (Riau Province), or Makassar (South Sulawesi Province), or Jakarta (DKI Jakarta Province), or Tanjung Pinang (Riau Province)
Entry on Duty : 1st of July 2017
Duration : until 31 December 2017.
Salary : starting from IDR 18,418,916.67 per month
Closing Date : 02 June 2017
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Officer and the overall supervision of the Senior Protection Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties in his/her area of responsibility:
- Conducting Refugee Status Determination (RSD) interviews, drafting legal assessments and making recommendations (at first and appeal instances) on refugee status, in accordance with UNHCR guidelines and procedural standards;
- Conducting RSD and counselling missions to out-posted locations outside of assigned duty station;
- Providing RSD counselling services to refugees and asylum seekers when necessary, informing and acting upon reports received from refugees within the refugee community or from the local authorities; following up on protection issues with the authorities concerned;
- Conducting research on countries of origin and legal issues;
- Performing other duties, as required.
In line with the office’s realignment of RSD as a protection function in response to the July 2015 New Strategic Direction in RSD, the expected output is to conduct at least 18 interviews a month and to draft at least 18 RSD assessments a month in a timely manner and in line with UNHCR RSD procedural standards.
Education: Completion of secondary school, but preferably a university degree in International Law, Political Science, Social Welfare or related discipline. Additional certificates/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is an advantage.
Experience: Six (6) years of work experience in a similar area or in the wider human rights field. Working experience with procedures and principles related to RSD. Knowledge of International Refugee Law and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles. Experience in counselling asylum seekers or refugees. Experience in working with vulnerable or traumatized individuals.
Nationality: Citizen of Indonesia; non-citizen with Indonesian permanent residence.
Languages: Fluency in English and Indonesian. Knowledge of another relevant UN language is desirable.
Desirable Skills: Good written and oral communication skills; computer literacy; Knowledge of refugee and human rights law; Interpersonal and communication, including listening and interviewing, skills and cultural awareness; Analytical and legal drafting skills; Judgment and decision making skills; Teamwork skills; Client and results orientation, commitment to protect refugees and willingness to cooperate with counterparts; Experience of working with refugees, desirable; Ability to work in the difficult and harsh conditions is essential.
- Within UNHCR involving the exchange of a wide range of information;
- With external parties: local authorities, NGOs, and international organizations.