Humanitarian Programme Coordinator (HPC)/Program Lead
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
Through capacity building, programme and monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, Islamic Relief Indonesia keeps the quality of organisation focus on the socio-economic and humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
Based on the current 2018-2021 MoU with Indonesia Ministry of Home Affairs, the socio-economic focus are translated into various sectoral programmes: Livelihood, WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene), Health & Nutrition, Education, DRR/CCA, and Child Welfare and Protection implemented in 3 provinces in Indonesia: Aceh, Banten & West Nusa Tenggara (NTB). IR Indonesia also have an agenda to provide emergency response throughout Indonesia area whenever needed taking into account Indonesia government policy and regulation.
The Emergency Response and DRR activities fostered by the Humanitarian Division includes natural and man-made disaster. The division seek to build community resilience in order to enable the targeted vulnerable communities to thrive for their lives before, during and after disasters. The division increases the organisation’s ability to tackle poverty and suffering by developing continued learning and improvement for social accountability.
The project is implemented in the villages where recurring natural disaster is frequently happening, while social cohesion is repeatedly disturbed due to identity spatial conflict among the communities.
• The purpose of the role is to coordinate a two-year programme funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) on peacebuilding-based DRR in Sumbawa island;
• Based in a site around Sumbawa island, the coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the project implementation over the course of two years by the three local NGO implementing partners, ensuring that project deliverables and results are being achieved effectively and efficiently. The incumbent will be responsible for assuring that the project is implemented within the agreed scope of work and in compliance with SIDA’s regulations and within IRW’s policies and processes;
• As the project is part of the IRW global project jointly implemented with Philippine, Pakistan, and Kenya and supervised by the Programme Manager (PM) sitting in IR HQ Birmingham-UK, the Project Coordinator -upon the consent of line managers including CD, will have to liaise on a regular basis with the PM and provide him/her with regular updates of the progress on the project. The Coordinator will assist HPC as the focal point for the project and will manage the communication to and from IRW so far as it relates to this project. They will also be responsible for representing the programme to all key stakeholders both within the organization and to external stakeholders. This will entail providing regular updates communicating the progress and proposed work as well as ensuring that targets are being met and both schedule and budgets are maximised efficiently
• The position will report to the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator in IR Indonesia Country office and will have a direct responsibility for preparing, producing and disseminating all project related reports and updates to IRW HQ and/or SIDA and for internal reporting requirements, including for financial and audit purposes
• Experience of working on projects associated with donors such as DFID, SIDA, and with the L/INGOs will be critical to the role as will be demonstrated experience of working with local partners;
• Significantly and essentially to capitalise on the organisation’s approach to conflict prevention and peacebuilding based interventions, the PC is expected to prepare conflict sensitivity and peacebuilding dimension for the Community based DRR intervention, centred on the added value of Islamic Relief as a faith based organisation and the industry’s need to have faith centric development and humanitarian approaches
• The role will provide an essential input to our strategy bringing our distinctive faith-based perspectives to help resolve some of the most pressing humanitarian and development challenges, and providing the opportunity for Muslim communities to engage with us in supporting this work. In particular the role will enable us by 2020 to be recognised for a unique contribution to conceptual understanding and discourse on issues critical to the communities we serve and the wider development community, including gender justice, inclusion of communities of all ages and abilities, human rights and the role of faith communities in realising the targets of the global goals (SDGs).
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIP (KEY STAKEHOLDERS)
• Peacebuilding Program Manager at IR HQ
• Country Office Team: Humanitarian Program Coordinator/Program Lead, MEAL Coordinator, MEAL officer
• NTB Area Coordinator and his/her supporting staff (Logistic assistant and Finance Assistant)
• Local NGO Implementing partners
SCOPE AND AUTHORITIES
Scope of the Role
• The Coordinator has the responsibility to provide managerial support to oversee the deliverables on the project. . The PC will be responsible for coordinating the LNGO implementing partner in managing their team and ensuring that they are working efficiently and effectively to adhere to the requirements of the programme and ensuring that the programme outputs are of the highest standards.
• The IRW HQ Programme Manager will provide strategic support to the Project Coordinator through HPC
• The PC will be in direct contact with the above mentioned stakeholders to ensure tasks assigned by line manager are completed on time and that all required support in relation to the outputs is timely provided with maximum efficiency and accuracy;
• The PC will also have direct responsibility for updating the IR Country Office Management that oversees the project implementation.
• Bridge the communication between IR partners and IR Indonesia Country Office in entire aspects of project implementation as agreed with partner
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR RESOURCES
The PC is responsible for:
• Gaining familiarisation with and understanding all the compliance requirements necessary for adherence to the contract;
• Working with various stakeholders both internal and externally to coordinate the relevant outputs
• Understanding the necessary procedures, including documentation compliance requirements for the programme
• Where necessary providing on site support to the LNGO implementing partners for project implementation, monitoring and evaluating
• Works on all administration aspects of the role to a timely and accurate standard
• Provide backstopping support to the line manager as per requirement
• Provide advise to the LNGO implementing partners in budgeting, expediting, and charging
• Be responsible to monitor the budget for timely disbursement from IR country office and timely reporting with accuracy and compliance from the LNGO partners.
• Perform other duties as required by the line manager
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues, staff, and partners.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
• A graduate degree or Masters’ Degree or in-depth experience in relevant field required (e.g. International Relations, International Development, Peace and Conflict Studies or equivalent experience in development/humanitarian areas)
• An in-depth understanding of international development issues
• Qualified in PMD-Pro and or any other Project Management professional qualifications
• Demonstrate extensive experience of managing and implementing project through partnership mechanism
• Understanding of conflict prevention and peacebuilding demonstrated through management of projects
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft Word and being versed with PowerPoint and Excel
• Track record of working in a similar role with an International NGO
• Well versed and with proven capabilities of understanding the key aspects of conflict prevention and peacebuilding within the context of international development and humanitarian interventions.
• Demonstrated experience of working with various stakeholders
• Ability to work extensively with a team and or on their own both during field visits and or from the desk
• Knowledge of the key critical areas impacting the international development sector, including awareness of SDGs, faith-based initiatives, CHS, Humanitarian principles, DRR framework, etc.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to others’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
• Problem solving skills
• Culturally sensitive
• Field experience having worked and or being based in remote areas
• Enhanced ability to work in a multi-cultural team with challenging language barriers across multiple locations often with different and sometime conflicting agendas
• Advance English writing skills and ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to move extensively often at short durations and for lengthy periods of time
• Abide by IRW Code of Conduct and other related Codes of Conduct
• Knowledge of the various sectors within the international development arena
• Ability to work in often stressful and time bound situations requiring non-conventional working hours
Strong interest in development work with respect for confidentiality and commitment to Islamic Relief overall aims and objectives, including gender, equality and equal opportunities in all aspects of Islamic Relief’s work.
Islamic Relief is a faith based-non government organization that respects diversity and inclusiveness. Applicants from diverse religions, gender, race, and physical impairment are encouraged to apply.