Open to Internal and External Candidates
Reference No. : VN/ID10/2022/030
Position Title : National Project Officer (Disaster, Climate, and Resilience)
Duty Station : Jakarta
Organization Unit : Disaster, Climate, and Resilience
Classification : National Officer, Grade NO-B
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term Contract
Report to : Programme Coordinator
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 May 2022
Operational in Indonesia for more than 40 years, IOM Indonesia is one of the largest IOM missions in the world working on a wide range of activities in partnership with the Government of Indonesia, civil society, private sector actors, migrants and communities. IOM Indonesia is engaged in several thematic areas, including: Counter Trafficking and Labour Migration (CT/LM), Disasters, Climate and Resilience (DCR), Immigration and Border Management (IBM), Migrant Assistance, Migration Health, and Resettlement and Voluntary Returns.
IOM’s DCR programme include in preparedness and prevention as well as in emergency response. For that IOM works alongside and contributes to strengthening the capacity of government partners and local and international counterpart including support to the national and local cluster system particularly the National Cluster on Displacement and Protection (Klasnas PP) including in supporting the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) cluster where globally, IO is one of the lead agencies. Under the direct supervision of Programme Coordinator (DCR – Disaster, Climate, and Resilience) will have delegated responsibility for the overall coordination, implementation, and development of DCR programme activities in Indonesia. The DCR division works alongside and contributes to strengthen the capacity of government partners and counterparts at the national, sub-national level, civil society organizations, international/national organizations, as well as the national and local cluster system e.g. the National Cluster on Displacement and Protection (Klasnas PP), Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) cluster or Koordinasi and Manajemen Tempat Pengungsian (KMTP) where globally, IOM is one of the lead agencies.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Coordinate and ensure timely and successful implementation of DCR projects, including partnership building with governmental and non-governmental actors; developing and coordinating the implementation of effective workplans; conducting quality control and providing technical support and capacity building to the team and partners.
- Support the Programme Coordinator in building strategic partnerships among government, non-government and private sector, and UN partners in relation to DCR programming and other areas of priority for the Mission.
- Support the Programme Coordinator in producing evidence-based programme and policy recommendations; identifying potential project ideas in relation to DCR and participate in the development of project proposals in coordination with IOM Indonesia Resource Management Unit (RMU) and the Programme Support Unit (PSU).
- In coordination with IOM Indonesia’s Resource Management Unit (RMU), monitor and be responsible for all administrative (including staff recruitment and procurement), budgetary and financial aspects of projects in accordance with IOM rules and procedures and donor contractual terms, and anticipate any need for project amendments or extensions.
- As part of project management delegated responsibilities, ensure proper information management and prepare project narrative reports in line with internal and donor requirements.
- Undertake duty travel to monitor programme activities, support capacity building initiatives, and represent IOM at national and international conferences/meetings on DCR matters, as requested.
- In close coordination with the office of Chief of Mission, support the Programme Coordinator in liaising with various donors, international organisations, government and diplomatic authorities, and private sector actors on DCR-related issues and seek funding for future activities.
- Provide policy advice, training, and technical assistance to IOM’s counterparts, when required, on relevant aspects related to the DCR portfolio.
- Participate in relevant technical working groups of UN Country Team, including results groups of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2021-2025 (UNSDCF).
- Supervise and mentor staff; conduct performance appraisal of the staff using the IOM Staff Evaluation System (SES); and actively identify and promote training needs of the staff.
- Provide timely supervision, technical guidance and assistance to the staff and consultants to ensure highest level performance. Monitor the timeliness and quality of deliverables produced by consultants engaged during delivery of DCR programming.
- Oversee information outreach and communications related to DCR programming in co-ordination with the Programme Support Unit. Ensure visibility of the donor and IOM in information and communication materials developed for projects, paying attention to accuracy, clarity and effectiveness of the materials to the targeted audience.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political, Law, Social Science, International Relations, Social Work, Public or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum two years of relevant professional experience, or
- University degree in the above fields with minimum four years of relevant professional experience
- Has programme management experience, including resource management, staff coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting and budgeting;
- Has experience in government liaison of the following government institutions: Ministry of Social Affairs, National Agency for Disaster Management at both national and local level, Coordinating Ministry of Human Development and Culture, Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection, Provincial, District/City government, National and local cluster system and its related coordinating ministries including liaison with other UN agencies, Red Cross and Red Crescent movement and I/NGOs;
- Must demonstrate sound knowledge and understanding of Disaster, Climate and Resilience (DCR) and emergency humanitarian response context and practices in Indonesia as well as relevant policies, laws and regulations; knowledge of IOM standards and global best practices on DCR, humanitarian response and recovery a distinct advantage;
- Strong strategic and creative thinking and proven high level analytical skills; strong networking skills with international organizations, civil society organizations, donors, diplomatic authorities and any other relevant stakeholders necessary for the implementation of IOM’s activities and the development of future initiatives;
- Excellent drafting skills in both English and Bahasa Indonesia; excellent communication, negotiation, and mediation skills. Good computer skills; has ability to supervise staff; ability to work independently and within a team from varied culture and professional background.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia, both written and spoken.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core competency – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, verification of Education certificate and security clearances.
IOM applies local United Nations Salary Scale.
How to apply: