Background and objectives
Situated at the convergence of three active tectonic plates, Indonesia is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world (Indonesia Disaster Management Agency [BNPB] Handbook on Managing Disaster, 2007). Earthquake significantly causes human displacement and has been the greatest contributor of human and economic loss in Indonesia (BNPB, 2018; Database of Indonesian Disaster Data and Information, 2018). Along the path of Pacific Ring of Fire, Java island is comprised of 41 active volcanoes that threaten more than 150 million people (National Geographic, 2018). BPNB records that about 60 medium-to-large earthquakes affected millions of people hit the Java island alone, the most populated island in Indonesia, within the last 16 years (2018). It is, undoubtedly, that earthquake preparedness efforts are the key factors to lessen potential negative impact brought by the earthquake.
The Indonesian Red Cross (Palang Merah Indonesia/PMI), supported by the American Red Cross, have been consistently working in and advocating for disaster preparedness efforts with community and government since tsunami hit Aceh in 2004 The Red Cross team will continue these efforts with a new intervention named Indonesia Earthquake Readiness Project. Funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development’s. Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/OFDA), this project is commenced in July 2019 with a purpose to reduce preventable damage and loss from earthquake associated with deficient earthquake preparedness capacity at urban level. To achieve this goal, the project will focus on social and behavioral changes in awareness of the risk of earthquake, as well as understanding in building codes, safety behavior and preparedness actions (before, during, and after earthquake including promotion of house retrofitting) in the context of urban people living in the Java island, particularly in Sukabumi and Banyuwangi cities. The project will carry out BCC study and would like to call interested consultant teams to submit a proposal for the BCC study.
Project areas and coverage of BCC study
The project will operate in 2 cities in Java island, that are Sukabumi Municipality of West Java Province and Banyuwangi City of East Java Province. Java island is the most populated island as compared to all other islands in Indonesia. It is planned that the project will be narrowed at neighborhood level (later on called “Kelurahan” in Indonesian language) where most of city residents live. The selected consultant team is expected to lead the BCC study in 3 Kelurahan where targeted urban residents living in houses instead of apartment [please read Annex 1 and 2 for targeted Kelurahan and schools].
Behavioral Change and Communication Overview
Objectives of Behavioral change and communication study
The objectives of the BCC study are:
- To obtain existing perception, behavior, and local wisdom related to earthquake preparedness at community and school levels;
- To provide information of key stakeholders, decision makers, influencers, and prioritized audience segments with inclusion of vulnerable groups (children, pregnant women, senior residents, residents with disabilities);
- To examine context, barriers, and facilitators for changes in perception and behavior;
- To provide communication objectives that suggest key messages for promoting desired changes, best communication channels and promotion activities;
- To produce BCC strategy that provides strategic approaches for promoting earthquake preparedness related awareness and feasible practices [Content of the BCC strategy can be read in section “
Expected activities and deliverables
It is expected that the selected consultant to study, but not limited to, preparedness behaviors listed below:
At household (family) level in each targeted neighborhood (Kelurahan)
- Retrofitted design for earthquake resistant house and interior designs.
- Family’s preparedness plan specific for earthquake, what to do and how to protect themselves during earthquake, ownership of preparedness bag
- Early warning system at family level
At school level
- Children’s preparedness plan specific for earthquake, what to do and how to protect themselves during earthquake, ownership of preparedness bag
- The final plan for this study of behaviors will be discussed further between the selected consultant, American Red Cross, and PMI, and be finalized during Inception report phase.
It is expected that the BCC study applies qualitative methodology to meet the study objectives at community and school levels. As part of the qualitative methodology, the selected consultant team must provide analysis results of context, formative, audience, barrier, facilitator, and communication assessments [please use template of study matrix in Annex 3-6] Further improvement of the study matrix is possible upon discussion between the selected consultant and American Red Cross and PMI. The consultant must provide a clear pathway of qualitative study plan and data collection technique (e.g observation, literature review, interviews, focus group discussions etc) with details of sample, selection criteria, and justification of the proposed technique. Also, the consultant must include explanations of analysis plan, potential study limitations, and actions to limit study bias.
Scope of work and BCC study
Scope of work
The selected consultant team will be responsible to ensure Earthquake Readiness BCC study meet standard study. The scope of work must include:
- Provide a complete Inception Report (Final study plan and instruments). The inception report must contain (1) the BCC study objectives; (2) scope of work; (3) project background; (4) description of target population, key characteristics, sampling frame, selection criteria, and non-participation (if any); (5) methodology; (6) analysis plan explained in a table consisted of type of analysis and its utilization; the table should be explained in narrative for actions to reduce potential bias (6) work plan provided in a table comprised of activities, days, date, responsible consultant team member; (7) consultant deliverables; (9) additional comments (if applicable); (10) additional resources needed (if needed); and (11) Annex including BCC study matrix and all supporting documents attached on the report. This Inception Report is developed by the selected consultant. Template of Inception Report is provided.
- Develop BCC study instrument. The instrument must include study questions and other relevant qualitative instruments to meet the study objectives.
- Develop data quality control. The selected consultant must propose quality control methods to ensure the high quality of data collection and other documents used.
- Lead and coordinate data collection. Coordinate closely with Red Cross team, particularly PMI National Head Quarter, PMI West Java province, PMI East Java province, PMI Sukabumi district, and PMI Banyuwangi district in conducting the study. The consultant must coordinate with PMI for any data collection at field including develop invitation and discussion and/or meeting agenda with stakeholders, communities, and schools.
- Conduct data management and analysis. The selected consultant must report progress of data collection to American Red Cross in daily basis by email, explain data management and analysis performed (e.g coding, themes, software etc) to fill the BCC matrix.
- Perform Data Safeguarding Protocol. The selected consultant must provide a reliable system in place for backing-up their data and draft reports. The selected consultant must specify what measures they will use to the American Red Cross prior to beginning their assignment under this TOR.
- Write and present BCC strategy to PMI and American Red Cross delegation.
Expected deliverables and Duration of consultancy
Expected activities and deliverables*
- Inception Report (Final proposal and instruments) prior data collection including BCC study matrix
- Conduct initial briefing and document review
- Finalized BCC study matrix and instruments
- Lead data collection
- Implement data quality control
- Provide progress report of data collection at daily basis by email.
- Provide filled out BCC study matrixes prior to writing draft report.
- Discuss preliminary findings of BCC study with American Red Cross and PMI.
- Draft BCC Study report.
- Disseminate BCC strategy as a recommendation for project implementation
- BCC Study report.
*Inception report, Final BCC Study Report, BCC study matrix and other instruments must be provided in English and Indonesian language. [template of the Inception Report is provided].
Duration of consultancy
It is expected that the consultancy service is provided within 40 working days. Period of contract is started from 28 October 2019 until 29 February 2020.
Estimated consultant working day
- Initial briefing between consultant and American Red Cross and PMI team: 1 day
- Finalization of Inception report and instruments: 5 days
- BCC study at field: 10 days
- Data cleaning, synthesis, and analysis: 7 days
- Share preliminary findings of BCC study to American Red Cross and PMI: 1 day
- BCC study report writing: 10 days
- Incorporating comments from American Red Cross: 5 days
- Presenting Final BCC study report and submitting all required deliverables and supporting documents: 1 day
Total: 40 days
Required qualifications for consulting team members are:
- Five years of experiences in leading BCC studies and qualitative researches.
- Demonstrated the expertise on following subjects: Social and Behavior Change Communication; Architecture and/or EQ resistance construction ; Disaster or social anthropology
- Study experience in disaster preparedness and urban context (cities) in Indonesia is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality of reports as shown by sample of BCC study, BCC strategy, or Communication strategy reports.
Application materials and procedures
The consultant candidates are expected to submit the proposed BCC Study Proposal. Content of the proposal must include details as follow:
- Consultant profile
This section includes summary of the Consultant team, explaining in short paragraphs all members’ education background and relevant working and BCC study experiences [2 pages at max]. Details of each members’ relevant background and expertise must be summarized in CV (max. 2 pages) that is part of Annex. We only read relevant information.
- BCC study Method
Proposed method to meet objectives of BCC study as written on the TOR.
- Scope of work
Stating the scope of work that is cited from the TOR. If there is more than one consultant on the proposed team, please provide the number of persons needed for both for quantitative and qualitative methodologies [please use template of Scope of work in Annex 7].
- Data management and analysis
The consultant team is expected to explain data management and analysis plan, coding, software used (if any), and working duration for the BCC Study. The consultant team must explain strategy to avoid potential bias from the proposed BCC study design.
- Progress updates
This section should clearly indicate the mechanism that would be used to communicate with PMI and American Red Cross team within the reporting relationships on regular update about the field activities.
- BCC study timeframe
Complete this section with proposed work plan. Provide a table comprised of description of the BCC study activities, estimate days of implementation, and the consultant team member responsible for each planned activity. [please use template of BCC study timeframe in Annex 8].
- BCC study budget plan
Provide a table that shows planned activities, estimate days of implementation, responsible consultant team members, and unit cost in US Dollar. [please use template of BCC study budget plan in Annex 9].
- Professional Reference
- Provide at least 3 references with details as follow:
- Name of reference
- Position and organization
- Mobile phone number and email address
- Previous consultancy service
The Annex should be consisted of:
- CV of each consultant team members (CV must include only relevant background and desired expertise)
- Sample of previous BCC Study report or BCC strategy report in English comprised of: Executive Summary (1 page), Analysis results and key findings (4 pages), Filled matrix of formative assessment (1 page), Filled matrix of audience segment (1 page), Filled matrix of communication strategy (1 page), Recommendation (1 page), and Conclusion (1 page).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get the complete TOR (13 pages) including templates and submit your proposal application in English not later than 27 September 2019 to email@example.com with Indonesia EQ Readiness Project – BCC study in the subject line and label your CV, proposal, and writing sample with your name and document type in the file names. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and contacted for an interview. Applications received after the deadline or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Selection criteria and Payment term
- Qualifications section [please read section “5. Required qualifications” point a-d]
- Quality of proposal [please read section “6.1 Application materials”]
- Quality of sample of BCC Study/BCC strategy/Communication strategy report [please read section “5. Required qualifications” point d and “6. Application materials” point 9]
- Number of days and timeline availability [please read section “6. Application materials” point 6]
- Rational budget plan [please read section “6. Application materials” point 7]
- Rational division of task among the consultant team members [please read section “6. Application materials” point 3 and 9]
The payment will be made based on satisfactory deliverables and after approval from Deputy Director & DMEL Lead of AMEE Region. The selected consultant team must submit invoice for the payment:
- 20% after Inception report (Final Proposal and Tools).
- 40% after approval of completed BCC study matrix and first draft of report (the first draft of report must be written based on the approved BCC study matrix)
- 40% after approval of Final BCC Study report and all other deliverables.
- Address Wisma PMI 5th Floor, Jl. Wijaya I No. 63 Kebayoran Baru
- Salary Offer NA