United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the biggest regional section of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) in which its Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta. UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognised voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people – more than half of the world population – and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralisation, local finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment as well as good governance.
Following the expansion of its Secretariat and to support the increased cooperation of cities and local governments, UCLG ASPAC is inviting professional and dynamic people to fill in the opened positions. UCLG ASPAC is recruiting the Operations Manager for one year (1) period with possibility of extension, based on satisfactory performance. The Post is assigned to lead an Administrative function of UCLG ASPAC Programme/Projects under the Bureau of Secretary General and to foster collaboration among the divisions to ensure the achievement of vision and mission of UCLG ASPAC.
The Operations Manager is a strong person, able to build a solid team and work cohesively with other departments for the operations department. The Operations Manager contributes to strategic decision-making and problem solving including but not limited to the operations department. The Operations Manager will build a culture of excellence through elaborating context informed operational, security and IT strategies in line with UCLG ASPAC donors’ standards and protocols; developing regional management plans and standard operating procedures to ensure effective systems that support healthy, robust and integrated functions of programmes/projects and support activities are in place in all offices; putting in place reporting and accountability mechanisms to guarantee the efficient/appropriate use of UCLG ASPAC resources.
Scope of Works/Key Duties
Strategy & Vision
- Participate actively in the elaboration and update of the regional strategy, budgets proposals and programme/project operations.
- Provide program support, coordination, supervision and monitoring designed to meet programme objectives, to ensure operational effectiveness.
- Conduct security assessments and develop the necessary management plans and strategies to ensure the security and safety of UCLG ASPAC teams (to the extent possible).
- Develop the capacity of the operation teams, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on one and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Work with all UCLG ASPAC staff to prepare a proper Operation Orientation material to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of UCLG ASPAC activities.
- Ensure procurement of programmes and projects carried out timely and properly.
Operations management – logistics
- Ensure timely, accurate processing and documentation of procurements and chair tender openings as required.
- Lead the process of developing the Warehouse Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; oversee commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Liaise with finance to ensure compliance and payment schedules; prepare and maintain service contracts.
- Maintain inventory records of materials and materials flow; oversee tracking of all assets.
- Establish Asset Inventories and its management policies and procedures for logistical effectiveness and efficiency in supporting programmes and implementation.
- Ensure the safety of assets and proper disposals when needed according to UCLG ASPAC and its donors’ policies and procedures.
- Analyse field operations reports, comments and send feedback to all field offices before consolidation of the monthly mission report.
- Conduct regular visits to UCLG ASPAC field offices, sub-offices and project sites as necessary to support staff and ensure proper logistics and security procedures and conditions.
Operations management – administration
- Update and establish the Administration Manual for UCLG ASPAC’s programmes and projects.
- Plan and coordinate administrative procedures and systems and devise ways to streamline processes.
- Be responsible in maintaining and delivering a standardised of administrative support for the Programme/Project Division to ensure the smooth and adequate flow of information within the project to facilitate its operations.
- Oversee the progress and compliance of the Programme/Project administration in preparing the logistics and travel arrangements (ticket, hotel, visa, catering, meeting venue, etc) for programme/project/UCLG ASPAC team’s visits and activities.
- Oversee the progress and compliance of the Programme/Project administration in providing a proactive, accurate, timely and high-quality administrative work to the programmes/projects of UCLG ASPAC, to ensure its compliance to the UCLG ASPAC/donors policy and regulation and to ensure proper filing in hard and soft copies.
- Provide assistance to Project Managers of UCLG ASPAC, in maintaining the communication with the donor agencies and be responsible for the overall integrity and coherence of the administrative requirement of the project in coordination with the Programme and other Divisions within UCLG ASPAC.
- Liaise with Finance Accounting Division to ensure that all bills related programmes/projects expenses are paid on a timely basis, includes monitor budget spending and get involved in budget preparation within all UCLG ASPAC’s programmes and projects and liaise with Finance and Accounting Manager of UCLG ASPAC
- Closely work with the Grant Officer to ensure Programme and Project activities operations adhere to UCLG ASPAC/donor SOP and regulations.
- Design, establish and maintain a central Programme/Project filing system for administration procurement, and logistics resources documents and ensure quick retrieval of files when needed.
- Oversee facility management; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Ensure that UCLG ASPAC contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with its country-specific law and UCLG ASPAC/donor policies.
- Perform other administrative tasks consistent with the overall scope for this post as directed by the Secretary General.
Influence & Representation
- Interface with stakeholders responsible for coordinating all supply shipments via the appropriate approval processes.
- Work closely with UCLG ASPAC Grant Officer and communicate with local partners, as well as sub-grantees, to verify their systems and that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures and archiving.
- Maintain productive relationships with all stakeholders, vendors, suppliers, etc.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Education: Bachelor degree in Business Administration and/or related fields.
- Experience: Minimum 8 (eights) years of professional experience in programme/project administration, and working in a similar position in an International NGO and/or an International Organisation/ National Corporation;
- Minimum of 4 years field experience setting up and managing administration and procurement, logistics;
- Demonstrated experience working with local governments, multi-donor agency and/or development partners;
- Working experience in international cooperation development projects and/or city to city cooperation is a plus;
- Experienced in the usage of computers and office software packages is required.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in MS Office.
Other skills and competency:
- Proven understanding of related security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in Indonesia and other countries in the Asia Pacific region is preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organisational, prioritisation and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia is highly sought.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team.
- Demonstrated ability in programme/project finance and/or administrative management;
- Demonstrated detail orientation, proactive attention to outcomes and expectations, and ability to understand and effectively use information and data;
- Be willing to travel during the project’s implementation when required;
- Has ability to work in a team and individual.
S/he shall will be supervised by Secretary General, supported by Project Admin Assistants.
How to apply
Please Submit your application letter, state salary expectation and current CV along with cover letter to email@example.com. Fill the email “Subject” Column of the email in the format: <position applied> – <your name>
Closing date: 28 February 2021 (COB 5.00 PM)
Only the qualified candidate(s) will be contacted.
- Salary Offer Negotiable