J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economic and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEBUI) seeks a qualified applicant for a Training Manager position to support our effort in developing the capacity of local researchers, policymakers, and program managers in the development sector to conduct rigorous impact evaluation and utilize evidence in decision-making.
Training Manager will work to support J-PAL SEA’s work in partnering with government agencies, private sectors, and NGOs as well as funders to build their capacity in program monitoring and impact evaluation. We are looking for a highly driven and well-qualified individual who can leverage his/her knowledge, experience and passion for capacity development, learning, and education for J-PAL SEA’s stakeholders. The Training Manager will work closely with institutions and academics network to provide M&E technical assistance as well as design capacity building programs. The Training Manager will play an important role by contributing to the partnership and will closely work with J-PAL’s Senior Managers, high-level officials in government agencies, and funders. S/he will also work with other critical government departments to understand their requirements and help them in their capacity building needs and ability to conduct high quality monitoring and evaluation.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
External capacity building:
- Manage the development of customized courses for building the capacity of key stakeholders (government agencies, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral aid agencies), including relationship building, strategic planning, content, and logistics;
- Manage the flagship Evaluating Social Programs course, including strategic planning of paid course offerings;
- Conduct periodic M&E training Needs Assessment for partners organization, as well as for line ministries/ departments and developing training calendars to address their needs;
- Ensure that J-PAL SEA courses and workshops comply to J-PAL standards by coordinating with the Global training team;
- Train J-PAL SEA staff to participate in delivering courses.
Internal capacity building:
- Initiate and manage internal training sessions for the professional development of J-PAL SEA staff, including training on topics such as writing and presenting for external audiences and soft-skills development;
- Support the development of staff performance review process including ensuring that each vertical maintains standardized assessment criteria and has a menu for professional development.
Communications and collaboration:
- Build effective relationship and supporting partners’ M&E efforts through capacity building or ad hoc support with partners (e.g. government partners, donors, implementing partners, and survey firms);
- Oversee and lead the stakeholders’ engagement, exploratory work, and possible ad hoc support for partners’ M&E efforts;
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with partners.
- Provide support in recruiting and onboarding of policy, training and communications staff;
- Provide supervision and mentoring for Training staff;
- Support the workplace review process, including conducting surveys and focused group discussions on improving staff satisfaction;
- Help build and strengthen the knowledge management systems and practices of J-PAL SEA’s training effort.
- Work with the J-PAL SEA Finance and Operation Manager to keep detailed accounts of all project activities, including monitoring expenses and summarizing current expenditures and forecasting expected expenditures;
- Oversee the team’s financial management, including creation and monitoring of budgets, and ensuring smooth integration of the team.
Reporting and Communication:
- Ensure that project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted to donors and partners on time;
- Manage relationships with investigators in multiple research institutions, funders, and implementing partners to ensure successful projects;
- Represent PIs or J-PAL SEA to attend meetings with government officials, donors, and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, public policy, statistics or related technical fields with strong background in impact evaluation and M&E framework;
- A minimum of 3 years working experience with M&E function or consultation;
- Prior work experience with the government and experience working with primary data is highly desirable;
- Prior involvement in quantitative research in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Familiarity with M&E tools;
- Experience including managing multi-stakeholder initiatives in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Prior experience in event management involving a wide audience and multiple stakeholders in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Leadership and “people skills”: ability to listen, communicate and create a collaborative atmosphere in the team;
- Experience in leadership roles, managing teams or projects;
- Excellent organizational skills to oversee deadlines, meet multiple concurrent demands and ensure that documentations and tasks are kept organized across all projects;
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English;
- Proven management and organizational skills;
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise).
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Familiarity with randomized evaluations;
- Prior experience in developing learning resources in a collegiate or professional setting is strongly preferred;
- Prior experience in basic statistical tools and software like Stata or R (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software;
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills (clear, precise, creative) for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand;
- Demonstrated experience in writing project proposals and/or grants, evidence summary, research reports, preferably for international field research.
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before July 30, 2021 to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Training Manager”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application;
- Attach PDF copies of your resume, academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA as a Training Manager and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling your future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Interested candidates are advised to apply at the earliest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.