J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economic and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI) seeks a qualified applicant for a Training & Policy Associate position to support our effort in developing the capacity of local researchers, policymakers, and program managers in the development sector to conduct rigorous impact evaluation and utilize evidence in decision-making.
The position offers an exciting opportunity to interact with key stakeholders in the development sector and turn cutting-edge development research into applicable knowledge. The Training & Policy Associate will assist in developing and delivering high quality courses relevant to the needs of researchers and policymakers, including but not limited to practical workshops in conducting rigorous data collection and analysis for impact evaluation, designing a randomized evaluation from start to finish, and how to utilize evidence for decision-making. The TA will collaborate with the research and policy team in creating course materials and identifying stakeholders.
The Training & Policy Associate will be supervised by a Training & Policy Manager and collaborate with the J-PAL global office and other regional offices when necessary.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
External capacity building:
- Lead the organizing of J-PAL SEA’s flagship Evaluating Social Programs course on conducting a randomized evaluation, including outreach effort, participant engagement, updating of course content, coordination with teaching team and Principal Investigators (PIs), and logistical preparation;
- In collaboration with postdoctoral fellows, create customized training content for key stakeholders (government agencies, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral aid agencies), including but not limited to the topic of impact evaluation of social programs, program monitoring and measuring success, and data management;
- Work with the policy and research team in developing content for conferences, evidence sharing workshops, and seminars around the region, to disseminate evaluation findings and how it relates to current development issues;
- Assist the research team in organizing and editing content for data collection training for enumerators to ensure rigor in all evaluations;
- Maintain and grow relationships with partner organizations
Internal capacity building:
- Assist in conducting internal trainings for the development of J-PAL SEA staff, including gauging staff needs and interest through internal surveys, identifying suitable external coaches (when needed), and editing training content;
- Assist in identifying possible professional development opportunities for each vertical (research, policy and training).
- Work with the J-PAL SEA Finance team to keep detailed accounts of all project activities, including monitoring expenses and summarizing current expenditures and forecasting expected expenditures;
- Provide updates and after-action reviews of training activities to Managers;
- Participate in the planning and design of any outreach activities;
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities and writing grant proposals for training activities.
- A Master’s degree in economics, public policy, statistics or related technical fields;
- Prior involvement in quantitative research in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Prior experience in event management involving a wide audience and multiple stakeholders in a collegiate or professional setting;
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English;
- Proven management and organizational skills;
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise).
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Prior experience in developing learning resources in a collegiate or professional setting is strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with RCTs is strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software;
- Advanced writing and presentation skills (clear, precise, creative) for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand.
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before 30 September 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Training & Policy Associate”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your resume, academic transcripts, diploma, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA as a Training Associate and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling your future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.