SEED 4 Women: Women Small Businesses Economic Empowerment through Digital Financial Inclusion Initiative
About Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia (YMCI) is a local Indonesian non-profit organization, which implements humanitarian and development assistance programs throughout the country. YMCI’s mission is to empower people in Indonesia to become healthy, productive, and resilient communities. Resilience means an ability to recover form or adjust easily to misfortune or change.
The overall goal of the program is to encourage women-led small businesses’ economic empowerment through financial inclusion. To achieve this goal, Mercy Corps Indonesia will support 750 women-led small businesses over three years to improve their business practices, create 10% more jobs and increase profits by 15% through improved access to digital financial services and digital mentoring between 2021-2024. The theory of change hypothesizes that: IF women-led small businesses improve their business practices; and IF women-led small businesses improve their access to market and financial services; and IF women-led small businesses improve their access to digital mentoring, THEN women-led small businesses can develop profitable business, contributing to job creation and bettering their families’ well-being.
Training and Mentoring Officer (TMO) – Malang City
General Position Summary
Training and Mentoring Officer (TMO) will support the Program Manager design the innovative training approach and ensure that the behavioral insights approach and digital knowledge information are embedded to the training module. In addition, S/he will ensure 150 women-led adult and youth small businesses will access training and mentoring and obtain employability skills. S/he will work with the program team to ensure 84 women-led adult small businesses and 21 women-led youth small businesses demonstrate financial knowledge and skills, and 48 women-led adult small businesses will begin to use financial products to help improve their financial stability.
The position is based in Malang City and requires up to 40 % travel to program locations (depend on COVID-19 development).
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Support the Program Manager to ensure the program will have 150 women-led small businesses (20% are youth) completed training and mentoring.
- Support the Program Manager to identify institutional partners and agents’ network and sign the partnership agreement.
- Work with the MERL Officer to design needs of assessment of 150 women-led adult and youth small businesses.
- Work with the MERL Officer to identify 150 program participants (20% are youth).
- Based on women-led adult and youth small businesses and agent’s network needs, develop training and mentoring module and workplan, so the program participants will demonstrate financial knowledge and skills and will begin to use financial products to help improve their financial stability.
- Develop monthly workplan and target and provide monthly progress against the target and workplan.
- Support Program Manager to develop partnership agreements with government and private agencies based on needs assessment results to provide women-led adult and youth small businesses and agent’s network access to training and mentoring;
- Ensure the data needed for program monitoring, evaluation, learning and report are available;
- Attend coordination meetings and maintain regular contact with relevant stakeholder.
- Conduct travel to project locations to monitor quality of implementation, and adjust plans and approaches to meet the project objective;
- Support Program Manager to prepare an interim and final report.
- University degree in Economic, Business, Social Studies, or related fields.
- 3+ years’ experience working as a training and mentoring officer in development programs. Experience in design and implementing the training and mentoring on financial and business/entrepreneurship for women-led adult and youth small businesses would be an advantage.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with NGOs and Local Government Agencies in Emergency, Recovery and Livelihood Programs.
- Experience in deliver capacity building for women-led adult and youth small businesses.
- Experience using digital data tools.
- Have knowledge on digital financial services would be an advantage.
- Have knowledge on behavioral insights and agents’ network would be an advantage.
- Understanding of working together with local partners.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good knowledge of MS Office software such as Excel, Word, and Access.
- Able to write and understandable spoken English are preferred.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesua is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
How to Apply
The vacancy will be closed on 23 January 2022 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.
Human Resources Department
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia