Indonesia’s impressive socio-economic development over the past two decades has brought with it a substantial negative impact on the environment. The continuing lack of urban infrastructure leads to widespread congestion, excessive pressure on electricity and water supplies and causes significant environmental impacts and further increased emissions due to pollution in urban areas. The profound need for further policy reforms and increased investment in urban infrastructure to improve the provision of public services, reduce pollution and reduce CO2 emissions will be medium-term development plan for the years 2020-2024.
Against this background, the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the Indonesian Ministry for National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) during the bilateral Government Negotiations in 2019 it was agreed to launch the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative (GII) as a Financial Cooperation (FC) facility of up to 2.5 billion EUR (via subsidized development loans) to support environment- and climate-relevant infrastructure projects in the areas of green urban development.
The bilateral Technical Cooperation (TC) Module “Green Infrastructure Development in Indonesia” (GID) constitutes an integral part of the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative. The TC Module was designed in the framework of an appraisal mission between April and July 2020 led by the Coordinating Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Investments (CMMAI) and conducted by GIZ-experts and consultants, in close cooperation with the German Development Bank KfW.
CMMAI is the main counterpart for GIZ, while Bappenas, the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Public Works and Housing as well as the Committee for the Acceleration of Priority Infrastructure (KPPIP) and six Provincial Governments are the main operational partners.
The German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development has commissioned GIZ with the implementation of the project on 11 November 2020. The TC Module aims to achieve the following Outputs:
Output 1: Strengthening the capacities of CMMAI and KPPIP (national level) with regard to the selection and prioritisation of environment- and/or climate-relevant infrastructure projects
Output 2: Identification and preliminary assessment of ca. 18 potentially bankable environment- and/or climate-relevant infrastructure projects, based on a long list of ca. 50 project ideas/concepts, in coordination with relevant stakeholders on national, provincial, regency and/ or city levels.
The first stage of implementation will take place at the following provinces that have been selected by the Steering Committee namely West Java, Central Java, East Java, Bali, Special Region of Yogyakarta and East Nusa Tenggara.
To support the Provincial Advisor for the implementation of the Green Infrastructure Development (GID), we are seeking up to 22 trainees for the following Provinces:
- 3 (three) trainees for Bali Province
- 5 (five) trainees for Central Java Province
- 3 (three) trainees for Yogyakarta Special Region
- 3 – 6 (three to six) trainees to cover Waingapu, Kupang (city and regency), and Labuan Bajo, East Nusa Tenggara Province
- 3 (three) trainees for West Java Province
- 2 (two) trainees for East Java Province
*) local hire (candidates from local domicile are preferred-relocation not provided):
Trainees for Bali/Central Java/Yogyakarta/Waingapu/West Java/East Java Provinces
GID plans to establish trainee agreements with twenty two (22) students to participate in the trainee program in 2022-2023 at the Provincial Offices in West Java, Central Java, Special Region of Yogyakarta, East Java, Bali and East Nusa Tenggara (Waingapu, East Sumba Regency). Students will be involved in GID activities and will be given specific assignments so they can gain work experience related to green infrastructure development. Activities for this trainee program include:
- Support preparation of various GID activities carried out online and offline, including joint activities with GID Counterparts
- Collecting and processing data (legal, numeric, and graphic) related to urban infrastructure development in the respective Province
- Supporting Project list and Process of Project dossiers
- Supporting Sector Workshops Program conducted by GID and Counterparts
- Supporting Presentation materials and materials of press release of social media publications
- Study on green infrastructure development with 3 sectors including water and wastewater management, waste management, and urban public transport.
- Assist the Provincial Advisor in compiling data needed
- Assist the Provincial Advisor in collecting baseline survey data and radical listening at priority locations
- Assist the Provincial Advisor in compiling pre-survey and survey reports including preparation for the presentation materials
- Assist the Provincial Advisor in providing the content for the social media publications for GII website or Provincial website respectively
- Support to carry out activities or work in the field according to the direction of the Provincial Advisor
- Support Logistic preparation for the workshop/meeting
- Assist the Provincial Advisor to provide update report to the Provincial Advisor
- Assist the Provincial Advisor to provide activity report (and financial report if needed) for administrative purpose in GID.
In this trainee program, participants will receive information on the latest policies and development issues from GID staff. This trainee program is intended to develop skills and knowledge and provide opportunities for networking among participants with networks in the green infrastructure development sectors. GID will support this development through a mentoring concept where Provincial Advisors will mentor trainees during their tenure at GID through regular online or offline meetings.
- Fresh graduate or last semester master student in Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering (Transportation studies), Development Studies, Urban/Regional Development, Economics/Business, Social Science, Communications or other related academic fields
- Have a laptop and familiar using the platform for online meetings
- Good communication, organization, writing skills, and information management skills, Intercultural understanding is additional advantages
- Self-motivated with time management skills and ability to work with minimum supervision, and strong willingness to learn
- Good command of Ms. Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Teams) and graphic software
- Good command of English skills (both written and spoken)
- Experience in literature research and expert interviews
- Have an interest in engaging in local, national and international cooperation
- Preferably active in student/public organizations or activities in Social or Urban/ Regional Development or Environment (climate change).
Please note that you can only apply for this traineeship if you are currently enrolled as a student, or your graduation was no longer than one year ago.
Duty Station: To be assigned within the location of the proposed projects in the respective provinces
Working Hours: 5 working days per week, 8 working hours per day
Expected Joining Date: asap
Period of Traineeship: 6 months
Direct Supervisor: Respective Provincial Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates shall submit comprehensive resume and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org before November 28th, 2022.
Please put: GID Trainee Bali or GID Trainee CJ or GID Trainee DIY or GID Trainee ENT or GID Trainee WJ or GID Trainee EJ as your email subject and name the files using following format: [Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV]
Only short-listed candidates will be notified