The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975. The programme “Clean, Affordable and Secure Energy for Southeast Asia” (CASE) aims to drive change in the power sector in Southeast Asia (SEA) towards increased ambitions about climate change. It focuses on the four main SEA countries Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam and includes both national and regional activities. It is funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI), under the German Federal Ministry for the Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK), with an implementation period until 2027. Composed of a wide range of organisations and driven by strong regional cohesion and network, CASE will propose evidence-based solutions to the challenges met by decision makers and build societal support around those solutions. CASE will directly contribute to the transition of the power sector towards an innovative, economically successful and environmentally friendly model for SEA. Overall, the CASE programme consists of five components:
- Output 1: Sustainable Energy related research
- Output 2: Transparency and stakeholder mapping
- Output 3: Stakeholder dialogue and action
- Output 4: Technical assistance to strengthen energy stakeholder capacities.
- Output 5: Sustainable energy communication across public
In Indonesia, the CASE programme is implemented through GIZ Indonesia, together with the Institute of Essential Service Reform (IESR) and supported by the international consortium partners. The political partner for Indonesia is the Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappenas). To support implementation of the programme in Indonesia, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position.
- The traineeship is to support the implementation of CASE programme activities. The traineeship program will provide benefits to deepen knowledge on Sustainable Energy and practical experience on the working environment in international cooperation. It can also broaden his/her understanding on energy transition in Indonesia and the ASEAN region.Under direct supervision of CASE Sr. Communications Advisor, the trainee shall support in the preparation and implementation of CASE programme activities in coordination with the Senior and Technical Advisors and CASE consortiums member (IESR, Bappenas, and regional team), namely:
- Activities to support the implementation of the programme outputs, namely:
- Output I: Research and Evidence: The evidence base for an energy transition in SEA is improved.
- Output II: Transparency and Mapping: Transparency and coordination of activities related to energy transition is strengthened to maximize synergies.
- Output III: Dialogue (non-energy sector): The dialogue on energy transition within government (and public) bodies is improved.
- Output IV: Technical Assistance (energy sector): Capacities of key energy sector stakeholders on energy transition are strengthened.
- Output V: Promoting public discourse: A public discourse on energy transition is established.
- Activities’ reporting and evaluation, including gender analysis and post-events’ evaluation.
The Trainee will perform the following tasks:
- Support in preparation and implementation of activities (e.g., dialogues, capacity development, seminars, and conferences) on decarbonization, long-term energy scenarios (LTES), sustainable energy finance, RE and Energy Efficiency Upscaling, and other relevant topics, by participating in the planning and organization process, and conducting the post event’s evaluation, analysis and compilation (e.g. feedback results, gender composition, attendance list, or other related documents).
- Support in the development of CASE publication or knowledge products and dissemination of research studies, policy papers, and reports on such topics, as well as developing the derivative products from the current existing products.
- Support the team in preparing relevant materials (e.g., power-point, factsheet or brochures) for presentation, workshops, training, and other events.
- Support the team in the monitoring and evaluation processes based on the performance of project outputs, indicators, and activity milestones
- Support the team in preparing working documents for all CASE Indonesia events and/or communications activities,
- Assist communications and PR related activities including but not limited to updating CASE website, social media content management, media clippings/monitoring, and media/press relations,
- Assist the team in performing administrative duties and other tasks as advised or agreed,
- Conduct regular discussion with the CASE team, if needed.
The traineeship program will provide benefits to deepen the trainee’s knowledge on energy transition in Indonesia and practical experience on the working environment in international cooperation.
Bachelor’s Degree or final year master’s student in communications science, management, international relations, social science, or other relevant fields
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Basic knowledge and familiarity on sustainable energy, energy transition or power sector and environmental issues, particularly in Indonesia
- Knowledge on Indonesia’s media landscape and/or public narrative will be an advantage
- Experience in conducting desk research, working on event/project management, and working on data analysis will be an advantage
- Basic understanding on CMS, and Social media tools
- Good communication, organisational and project management skills
- Good command of Ms. Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Experience with picture editing software/application is an advantage
- Proficiency in English and excellent writing skills
- Ability to work in a team and to adapt to an international working environment.
Please note that you can only apply for this traineeship if you are currently enrolled as a student, or your graduation was no longer than one year ago.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Working Hours: 5 working days per week, 8 working hours per day
Expected Joining Date: April 2023.
Period of Traineeship: 6 months
Direct Supervisor: CASE Senior Communications Advisor
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and references list) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 23rd, 2023, with subject line CASE – Trainee Communications & Events.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa Reference)
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.