The Indonesian-German Forests and Climate Change Programme (FORCLIME) supports the Indonesian Government and relevant public and private actors in developing and implementing the institutional and regulatory framework, methods and services for sustainable forest management, nature conservation and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation.
GIZ has been working with the Ministry of environment and Forestry through Forest and Climate Change Programme (FORCLIME) to Support the government of Indonesia, public actors and relevant private sectors in developing and implementing institutional and regulatory frameworks, methods and services for sustainable forest management, nature conservation and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation since 2009.
There are amendments to the Implementation Agreement and the result of G-to-G negotiation on October 2019 in Berlin; FORCLIME has a new mandate to start activities in Tanah Papua and transfer lessons learned from FORCLIME’s long-term involvement in Kalimantan to tanah Papua. In this new scope, FORCLIME wants to partner with the University of Papua (UNIPA) in Manokwari, Cenderawasih University (UNCEN) and Ottow Geissler University in Jayapura to create a trainee program that can support capacity building of students and/or recent graduates to benefit the future of forestry and biodiversity conservation in Papua and West Papua.
Following up on the plan, the program director of GIZ FORCLIME has held a coordination meeting with UNIPA on June 21st, 2021 and jointly committed to running a trainee program involving the Faculty of Forestry. This faculty has become GIZ FORCLIME’s choice to be involved in the visibility study which will be conducted from October 2021 to January 2022. The involvement of Forestry students is expected to contribute to collecting social data, environmental conditions and mapping the baseline survey area from visibility study that will be carried out. This trainee program is an opportunity for student to gain work experience as well as develop skills, knowledge and networks.
FORCLIME is seeking 6 trainee(s) – Indonesian students from the local university in West Papua Province (UNIPA, Manokwari) with the following positions:
- 2 (two) Trainee for Socio-culture
- 2 (two) Trainee for Spatial Mapping on Forestry
- 2 (two) Trainee for Forest and Conservation
During the trainee, participants will be mentored by FORCLIME staff and will be given spesific assignments such:
- Support various FORCLIME activities carried out online and offline, including joint activities with FORCLIME partners.
- Suppoting ASRI foundation activities in conducting desk-research, radical listening, baseline surveys and mapping activities related to assessment activities in Tanah Papua.
- Collecting information related to social dynamics, customary structures, local knowledge and the management of forest product utilization by communities around the buffer zone of the North Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve and South Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve.
- Supporting the mapping program conducted by FORCLIME and or making a map of FORCLIME’s working area acoording to the socio cultural data from the baseline survey
- Study on infrastructure and health services, including the accessibility of residents around the buffer are of the North Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve and South Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve and the use of medicinal plants by local indigenous people.
- Study on climate change mitigation program development initiatives in Tambrauw districts.
- In the pre-survey, conduct desktop research for survey location in North Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve and South Tambrauw mountains Nature Reserve.
- Assist the team in compiling the baseline survey questionnaire
- Assist the team in collecting baseline survey data and radical listening at priority locations.
- Assist the team in compiling pre-survey and survey reports
- Carry out activities or work in the field according to the direction of the project leader
- Assist in conducting social mapping analysis as requested by the team.
- Assist in conducting mapping of village areas and GIS analysis and as requested by team.
- Provide update report to provincial coordinator
- Provide activity report (and financial report if needed) for administrative purpose in FORCLIME.
- All participants must be registered as active students at UNIPA
- Have a Papuan or West Papuan ID card and live in Papua.
- Have a strong motivation to be involved in the sustainable development of the land of papua in the future.
- Have a laptop and familiar using the platform for online meetings.
- Willing to work independently
- Willing to communicate regulary with FORCLIME team for coordination and gidance
- Have basic English skills
- Have an interest in engaging in local, national and international cooperation.
Duty Station: West Papua
Working Hours: 5 working days per week, 8 working hours per day
Expected Joining Date: ASAP
How to Apply
Interested candidates shall submit comprehensive resume and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org before September 15th, 2021.
Please put: FORCLIME Trainee West Papua as your email subject and name the files using following format: [Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV]
Only short-listed candidates will be notified