Location: Remote, based in either Thailand & Indonesia
Department: Earth Journalism Network Asia-Pacific
LoE: 100% (full-time)
Duration: Contract, 12-months
Established in 2004, the Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is Internews’ flagship environmental program, working to improve the quality and quantity of environmental reporting. EJN has trained thousands of journalists worldwide in a wide variety of environmental issues, including climate change, biodiversity, wildlife trafficking, energy transition, management of oceans and coastal resources. It currently has more than 14,000 members worldwide.
With funding from the Sweden International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), the EJN Asia Pacific project is EJN’s largest project. It aims to boost environmental coverage in the region, which in turn contributes to greater accountability and sustainable development in relation to the environment and climate in Asia and the Pacific. Building on EJN’s past work and Internews’ extensive network in Asia, the project strengthens the capacity of reporters, media outlets, journalism networks and civil society organizations to cover environment and natural resource management issues; disseminate news and information to the most vulnerable communities; and amplify the voices of women and marginalized groups who are most at risk. The project implements a suite of activities that include training programs, fellowships for journalists to participate in global environmental conferences such as the UNFCCC Climate Change COP, organizational and story grants, development of local and regional GeoJournalism websites, and support for regional content coordinators who work with local journalists to generate high quality socio-environmental coverage. EJN Asia-Pacific started embarking on its second phase starting January 31, 2022 and will be implemented through until December 2024.
About this Position:
The Digital Data and Website Officer will support EJN by coordinating website development, maintenance and administration between staff and external vendors, assisting with the collection and analysis of data associated with EJN’s online platforms, and providing technical support for the organization of online workshops and webinars. This position will work closely with Internews’ Web Manager and EJN’s editorial teams for the management and maintenance of EJN’s website and the regional GeoJournalism website its supports.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the development, operations and administration of digital and online media work within the EJN portfolio, including the continued development and system administration of earthjournalism.net (Drupal) and our GeoJournalism websites (WordPress).
- Coordinate with and supervise vendors in the execution of website development, maintenance and troubleshooting, including site testing activities and go live, following up on tasks, budget estimation and security management
- Assist the Web Manager to gather and transform website improvement requests from the EJN team into technical requests for vendors to execute them
- Coordinate with website host, currently Internews’ Global Tech Hub
- CMS platform administration and website set up to support the team’s needs and delivery of basic training to CMS users in the team
- Provide technical support for webinars and online workshops, including hosting, trouble shooting, production of simple graphics for promotion and the collection of analytics.
- Rapid response to any attacks on or failure of website, in collaboration with the Web Manager and web vendors, with the aim of returning website to operation as quickly as possible
- Management of website application forms and registrations, including curating EJN members and providing lists as needed
- Development of simple online toolkits, including visual designs, banners, infographics, mini sites, etc.
- Facilitate the use of collaborative tools and platforms used by the teams, such as JIRA and Confluence project management, Slack, Trello, Zoom, Learn Amp, 1password, Canvas, Mailchimp, Gitlab, Teams, etc.
- Support the collection of website and social media analytics including the reporting of survey and project indicator data, in coordination with Internews’ Monitoring and Evaluation staff.
- Oversees technical staff, consultants and outside service providers charged with updating, operating and maintaining EJN’s digital media sites.
- Work with other Internews/EJN staff and local partners to oversee the design, management and flow of content, particularly online.
- Provide support for prototyping, mockup creation, demos and workflow designs which will be used for digital projects.
- Work with Internews staff to devise and follow through on development strategies that will help generate government and private donor support for Internews’ environmental programs, including drafting, preparing, and editing reports and proposals.
- Complete program expense reporting in a timely and detailed manner.
- Provide administrative, logistical and management support for EJN projects, as needed.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Information technology or Information management-related fields
- At least 3 years of experience in content management systems (Drupal, WordPress, or others) at an administrator level or advanced-user level
- Experience in providing support for website and digital activities for programs or business
- Experience in prototyping, mockup design, visual and graphic design
- Experience in webinar organization and support (a plus)
- Knowledge of web and social media analytics
- Knowledge of visual design such as Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Experience in media projects (a plus)
Closing date: 31 May 2022
Candidates must submit their expected hourly rate with their application for review.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position can be based in various countries and therefore a successful applicant must be able to demonstrate their right to work in the chosen country and be based there for the full length of employment.
Please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page Career Center (taleo.net)