Position : Program Manager
Project Name : Environmental Governance – SETAPAK 4
Location : Jakarta
Job Type & duration of Contract : Full-time staff, initial contract for a year with potential extension
Closing Date : October 9, 2023
The Asia Foundation (TAF) is implementing programs that seek to improve transparency in spatial planning and land-use and forestry permitting, strengthen the participation of civil society in environmental policymaking, and advocate for revised spatial plans to strengthen recognition of adat (indigenous) communities’ tenurial rights and increase areas designated for protection. An innovative approach has involved capitalizing on the Foundation’s governance expertise to promote the use of ecological fiscal instruments to reward local governments for strong environmental governance. This work will continue, with greater attention to reforming green budgeting and financing. This program will introduce a new component to restore or rehabilitate selected natural assets in its program areas which facilitate the efforts of forest-dependent people, including women and other vulnerable groups, to restore or rehabilitate degraded land, peatland, and mangrove areas that have been adversely affected or damaged by land-based industrial activities, natural disasters, or illegal logging.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Manager for the Environmental Governance Program provides direct management and implementation of what is described above. S/he is responsible for the day-to-day management of the program staff (Program Officer/PO, MERL/Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning Officer/MERLO, Program Assistant/PA, and consultants) and the CSO partners. S/he is responsible for program development and conceptualization, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and learning. S/he will be working with the ENVGOV Program, and in managing the flow of reports, proposals, and work plans, funding source administration, and cross-unit collaboration. S/he will also work closely with the grants and finance units. S/he must have the ability to work with the donors and government at all levels. The Program Manager will always be the designated officer in charge of the programs.
- Daily contact and communication with all SETAPAK team
- Regular contact and communication with other members of the Environmental Governance team, including the program’s finance, grant, communications, and MER
- Develop and maintain communication and coordination with other units in TAF Indonesia
- Contact with other programs and theme staff in TAF’s offices in the US and
- Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative, Program Director, Project Officers, Project Assistants, and MERL Officer
- Develop and maintain contacts with other local and international NGOs working on national and sub-national levels, ensure coordination, and raise the profile of TAF
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing donors and funding
- Develop working relationships with government agencies at the national and local Assist in developing and maintaining good public relations with the government. Public speaking and contributing to publications on the work.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT & ADMINISTRATION
- Day-to-day management of the SETAPAK Program –including liaising and providing input to CSO partners, monitoring program implementation, reviewing all training and publication materials, providing technical assistance by serving as facilitator, speaker, editor; and such, for partner programs and products, and the Environmental Governance Director and the Country Representative, in representing the programs to donors.
- Manage and supervise POs, PAs, MERL officers, and consultants;
- Design and implement the SETAPAK program work plans and contribute to developing and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning measures.
- Undertake continuous contextual analyses and updates on local developments and ensure these inform program implementation, including collaborating with specialist staff and good governance advisors in the development of relevant strategies;
- Implement effective risk management activities (as identified in conjunction with the Environmental Governance and the Country Representative) with partners to reduce the likelihood of risk, and monitor and address any breaches in a timely and appropriate manner;
- Collaborate with grants and contracts management staff to ensure an integrated approach with partners;
- Develop program activities; identify CSOs, NGOs, and Indonesian government partners; ensure that deliverables are clear; monitor and facilitate programs so they are met on time and within the budget; obtain timely and compliant reports; and critically evaluate outcomes.
- Approve annual work plans of the partners, in conjunction with those with grants management function;
- Monitor and oversee the annual work plan of the partners, ensuring outputs and outcomes are met and budgets are expended efficiently and appropriately.
- Provide organizational capacity to partners, particularly in areas such as program planning and budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, and knowledge management; and
- Monitor significant social, political, and economic developments in-
- Prepare, along with other team members, donor
- Develop and maintain contacts with other local and international NGOs working on environmental governance issues in Indonesia.
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing donors and funding
- Develop working relationships with national, provincial, and local government agencies.
- Represent TAF at conferences, events, and donor coordination meetings as required. Public speaking and contributing to publications on our work may be required.
- Assist in developing and maintaining good public In particular, assist the Environmental Governance Director and the Country Representative to develop and update literature that disseminates the nature and impact of our work.
- As a key member of the program staff, participate in team meetings to contribute to ongoing program planning, problem-solving, and knowledge sharing.
- Contribute to the dissemination of program activities and research
- Monitor important social, political, and economic developments in-
- Understand and comply with requirements placed on TAF by our
- Respond to periodic requests from the TAF’s San Francisco or Washington offices for program updates or examples of program impact.
- Other relevant tasks as required.
- Substantial experience with strategic design and development of environmental governance program
- Strategic thinker and planner with experience in demand-driven environmental governance planning and implementation approach
- Excellent conceptual understanding of complex environmental governance processes and their application from the international, national, and local contexts
- Experience in writing report
- Strong ability to work in a participatory way, strong facilitation skills, and proven ability to effectively delegate responsibilities
- Proven experience in advocacy with experience in participatory methods and existing relevant networks are a vital asset
- A team player who encourages openness, collaboration, and transparency
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and diplomatic skills
- Strong knowledge and skill in project management cycle, project design, grant making, reporting, communication, and MERL.
- Minimum of ten years of work experience designing and implementing development programs, with a strong background or specialization in local governance, environmental governance, and/or civil society development;
- Extensive experience working with Indonesian government agencies;
- Extensive experience in working with donors;
- Understanding of international or government funding agencies;
- Additional background in civil society development and/or civic education is highly desirable
Advanced degree in the environmental sciences, forestry, public policy, or any relevant subjects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Strong written and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Professional organizational abilities
- Good public speaker
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 09, 2023, at 5:00 PM Jakarta time. Please write “ENGOV – Program Manager” in the subject of the e-mail. The application should include (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV or Statement of Qualifications which summarizes the applicant’s suitability for the position based on the above qualification criteria.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunities employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.