The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German public-benefit federal enterprise. GIZ works worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas.
Schools are key public institutions where students, staff and community members come together, interact closely and share common spaces. Schools provide a setting where the risk of spreading diseases is high. At the same time, schools are institutions where life-long hygiene behaviours are acquired; and which serve as models for parents and communities.
In response to COVID-19, governments across the world have closed schools to reduce the risk of disease transmission. Interruption of attending school has huge impact on the life of children, families and communities and ultimately consequences for economies and the entire society. In Indonesia, like in most countries data on COVID-19 prevalence is incomplete and Ministries of Education need to make decisions in an environment of uncertainty, contradicting scientific studies and limited knowledge on the role of schools in disease transmission.
The Fit for School Programme of GIZ has supported the Ministry of Education and Culture (MOEC) to improve the status of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) in Schools in Indonesia since 2011. GIZ is supporting the efforts of Indonesian government for safe re-opening of schools, specifically to support the conditions for personal and environmental hygiene in schools to help MOEC to comply with SDG basic service standards for WASH in Schools and global recommendations to prevent COVID-19 transmission.
To join global movement for safe re-opening of schools GIZ is opening a new position for its Indonesia team. The DeveloPP programme of GIZ has been commissioned by the Hygiene and Behavior Change Coalition (HBCC) (Unilever and DFID) to support the government of Indonesia in implementing Pandemic Preparedness and Response (PPR) measures in schools, specifically personal hygiene (handwashing with soap) and environment hygiene (cleaning and surface disinfection).
Responsibilities, but is not limited to:
The programme will establish a replicable model for pandemic preparedness and response suitable for rapid and massive government-led scale-up, and the Technical Project will be expected to:
- Provide a range of technical assistance and capacity development activities for model schools and their respective local government in implementing PRR measures related to personal and environmental hygiene; and
- Systematically gather feedback and information from the field to substantiate advice, advocacy, and guideline development at the national level.
- Oversee the implementation of project measures and activities in the field.
In carrying out this role, the Technical Project performs the following major functions:
- Project management, coordination, and liaison
Plan, organize, and coordinate activities with model schools and their respective local governments and key stakeholders, specifically in:
- Establishing working relationships with local government partners
- Overseeing the implementation and delivery of contracts and grants to awarded to local organizations
- Supporting the model schools to implement implementing Pandemic Preparedness and Response (PPR) measures in schools, specifically personal hygiene (handwashing with soap) and environment hygiene (cleaning and surface disinfection).
- Distribution of PPR supplies for the model schools; and
- Installation of handwashing facilities in model schools to allow for hand hygiene of all students, teaching and non-teaching staff
- Field Insight
- Gathering and consolidating the feedback and recommendations on school PRR measures and adjust PPR packages according to experiences from the field through regular visits to model schools
- Field testing of indicators for measuring school PRR measures and support data collection in the model schools
- Capacity Development
- Conduct orientations and trainings with model schools on the PRR Measures
- Support the development and contextualization of orientation videos and other capacity development tools and materials for model schools on the PRR measures
- Knowledge Management
Contribute to the project team in documentation and writing reports, and support programme knowledge management and results-based monitoring processes and activities.
- Consultancy Support
Support to the deliverables and the and management of short-term consultants contracted by the programme.
- General Corporate Tasks
Performs other tasks relevant to the job or organizational unit as needed, and participates in external coordination and other corporate, entrepreneurial, or strategy-linked undertakings.
- University degree in health science and/or education or a subject related to public health and development management
- Skills / Experience in health promotion, school health, health communication, project management, and communicating activities to different stakeholders within the education sector (minimum 5 years of experience).
- Working experience on district level and/or community level
- Experience working with the Ministry of Education or Health and other development partner agencies and NGOs
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences
- Good understanding on Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Schools programming.
- Basic understanding of the local context in urban and rural school environment
- Proven capacity to interact and constructively cooperate with partners in the local governments, NGO partners, and colleagues
- Ability to clearly and amiably present ideas and transmit knowledge in the terms of the recipient / user / partner
- Demonstrated organization, entrepreneurial and management competencies
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed and as agreed with the supervisor
- Working knowledge of modern telecommunication systems, IT-know-how (MS Office, MS Teams, internet-based teaching and learning technologies, etc.)
- Fluent written and verbal knowledge of English & Bahasa Indonesia
Duty Station: Batubara, North Sumatra
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Regional Project Manager for DeveloPPP Harnessing the power of hygiene and behavior change in schools to fight COVID-19
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including trainings and list of references) to email@example.com by March 01st, 2021 with subject line PPR – Technical Project
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified