The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The SUPA (Sustainable Use of Peatland and Haze Mitigation in ASEAN) Component 1 is a regional programme implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH with the objective to strengthen the ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC) and ASEAN Member States to implement the APMS and National Action Plan on Peatlands (NAPPs). SUPA Component 1 is co-financed by the Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and European Union (EU).
One key intervention of SUPA Component 1 is work area 3: “Generating pilot experiences from Indonesia and Malaysia”. Two pilot measures will be implemented one in Indonesia and one in Malaysia. The pilot projects aspire to demonstrate how a peatland, within the landscape or peatland hydrological unit, can be restored and/or rehabilitated through sustainable peatland management options. The selection of the pilot areas is a key step of Work Area 3 and has to take into account the participation an extended list of relevant stakeholders. The success of the pilot measure depends to a great extent on the involvement and sense of ownership of the project by the relevant stakeholders. A common understanding and willingness to address issues like water management and fire prevention will be crucial. Similarly, the potential of adjacent areas for protection and sustainable management, based on their contribution to adaptation and mitigation of climate change, biodiversity protection and land tenure resolution, must be considered. The pilot measures should also take replicability and cost effectiveness of the measures, beyond the pilot project area and duration, into account. SUPA Component 1 will provide technical assistance on best practices based on proof of concept to support their multiplication and dissemination and promote the sustainable peatland management across the ASEAN region. In Indonesia the pilot site will be implemented in Aceh Province, covering 3 PHUs in Aceh Barat and Nagan Raya districts.
- Support the project in the design and implementation of field activities/technical assistance in Aceh according to the GIZ standards and in close partnership with the villagers/environment and forestry Institution/farmer institution/village institution;
- Support the project in achieving the project goals and field activities agreed with the partners
- To carry out field activities in a timely high-quality manner;
- To support Technical Advisor and National Technical Advisor Indonesia to achieve objectives of work area 3-pilot site in Indonesia by providing professional advice to villagers and partners and maintaining its communication.
1. Professional Advisory Service
- Implement project activities at the district and field level in accordance to approved work plan and budget.
- Conduct the pilot project in the priority villages identified related to sustainable peatland management.
- Facilitate and organize outreach, trainings, workshops and seminars at Village and district level in sustainable peatland management options.
- Facilitate establishing community/village institution/social forestry institution in sustainable peatland management.
- Conduct case studies/action research, as required and document the process and key findings
2. Coordination, communicating and Networking
- Coordinate with district line agencies and other key stakeholders in planning and implementing field level activities in a coordinated way to ensure adequate programme synergies and to leverage resources.
- Coordinate with district government line agencies, local NGOs, and private sector, and other relevant networks for greater learning and new ideas, lessons learned and good practices.
- Participate in relevant events organized by other stakeholders at the district level and cross learning both within and outside the project
Bachelor’s in forestry/environmental science/biology/natural resource management or other relevant study.
- At least 5 years of work experience, previous experience in project implementation and/or working with communities will be considered an advantage.
- Having work experience in Aceh will be considered an advantage.
- Good conceptual, inter-personal, communication, negotiation, co-ordination, facilitation and representation skills.
- Knowledge and experience of using participatory tools and methods
- Strong interest to work on issues related to peatland management, paludi culture, livelihood enhancement and food security.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
Essential skills, additional competences and other knowledge
- Self-motivated with time and stress management skills and ability to work independently
- Ability to take responsibility, meet deadlines and make progress with minimum supervision
- Willing to be based in Aceh Barat/Nagan Raya and travel extensively to the project sites to conduct trainings, monitoring and evaluation, and other field research and able to adjust and work in tough field situations.
- Capacity and willingness to learn new skills, research methods, and work routines under the mentorship of Advisors.
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesian, written and spoken
Duty Station: West Aceh / Nagan Raya, Aceh Province
Joining Date: 1 October 2020
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of SUPA REPEAT project
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30th, 2020 with subject line SUPA – TPP.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified