The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German federal enterprise which provides services worldwide for sustainable development. In addition to public-benefit international cooperation projects, the company also supports clients of the private sector in achieving the Sustainble Development Goals (SDGs) through GIZ International Service (InS).
GIZ is currently implementing a project in Indonesia called “Sustainable Smallholder Oil Palms (SULAM)”. The project aims at preparing independent oil palm smallholders for the Roundtable of Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certification while also supporting them in meeting the Indonesian Sustainable Palm Oil (ISPO) standard. In addition, the project will help the smallholders to connect with a more sustainable supply chain network. Over the course of the next 30 months, the project will work with independent smallholder cooperatives in East Kalimantan (Borneo), Indonesia.
The project entails three major work packages:
- Farmer and cooperative training based on the ISPO and RSPO standards;
- Land-use planning and environmental management, including the identification and management of high conservation value areas;
- Market linkage of cooperatives with a sustainable supply chain network.
The Technical Advisor will fulfil a key role in the project team and will be integral for the success of the project. We are therefore looking for an enthusiastic candidate who brings passion, positive energy, and a can-do mentality. This person actively brings ideas forward to the project and is equipped with a great ability to lead people, as well as manage and optimize operations. He/she should have a talent for liaising with a variety of partners, and be able to inspire them to collaborate on the sustainable production of oil palm in the focused landscape.
- Lead two junior farm advisors on technical matters to achieve the technical milestones of the project;
- Advise in the establishment and implementation of a capacity development and monitoring system to measure the impact of project measures;
- Advise and support the partner cooperatives in (a) registration of farms, (b) land-use change analysis and formulation of remediation and compensation plan, (c) land-dispute resolution, (c) premium distribution plan;
- Advise the partner villages in land-use and conservation planning processes;
- Coordinate the support to the partner cooperatives in preparing or implementing the internal and external RSPO and ISPO audits;
- Coordinate the team in lessons learned documentation;
- Liaise between the project and the district government as well as other stakeholders in the pilot area;
- Support the project leader in monitoring project progress, review reports and documents concerning the progress of collaborative programs, determine bottlenecks and lead measures to overcome them;
- Assist the project leader in project management tasks as assigned.
- Management and Coordination:
- Coordinate, supervise and contribute to the preparation and implementation of project activities in line with project objectives and deliverables
- Coordinate joint activities and other technical cooperation with the SCPOPP (Sustainable and Climate-friendly Palm Oil Production and Procurement) project team and other organizations who work in the same landscape;
- Lead the farm advisors in preparing the budget and activity plan and in monitoring the implementation of events and consultants or grantees;
- Contribute to the coordination of the project works so that the objective and indicators can be achieved;
- Supervise consultants, grantees, and interns for the project while also support the advisors to do so;
- Contribute to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the responsible project manager;
- Represent the project particularly for the stakeholders at the landscape level;
- Evaluate the results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation.
- Professional Advisory Services:
- Advise partner institution(s) on order clarification, identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provide technical input;
- Participate in determining requirements for external support and advice and promote a strategic approach;
- Contribute to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/ program activities;
- Formulate terms of references and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project activities, including performance evaluation;
- Deal with the design, preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the work package;
- Develop and organizes quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives;
- Assure the alignment of the project’s service provision with the partner’s needs.
3. Networking and Cooperation:
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners, relevant organizations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals with other related projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- Supports project leader in smooth partner relations;
- Represents the project at the project level and acts as its speaker;
- Travels in accordance with GIZ requirements;
- Communicates and channel local interests and aspirations and exchange ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
4. Knowledge Management:
- Compile information and ensures knowledge transfers;
- Develop ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals, and procedures;
- Draw up reports and presentation documents;
- Formulate appropriate input for project reports.
- Minimum Master degree in agriculture, forestry or other related academic fields.
- At least 4 (four) years’ professional experience on works related to land-use mapping and conservation planning, conflict resolution, or smallholder training;
- A minimum of 3 (three) years professional experiences in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Very familiar with sustainability standards (ISPO and RSPO) and the challenges for the smallholders to improve their productivity;
- Strong skill in mapping, geographic information system, land-use and conservation planning;
- Excellent capability to plan, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of various capacity development measures;
- Have good knowledge of data organization (collection, validation, standardized processing, storage, and protection);
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English;
- Have basic knowledge of conflict mediation;
- Excellent working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and basic computer applications (e.g., MS Office);
- Focused, proactive and positive working attitude;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs and partners;
- Ready to work in remote rural areas, link and cooperate with stakeholders from rural communities, companies, and relevant local government units;
- Aware of social and intercultural sensitivities, flexible and possess a sense of diplomacy;
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high-quality work products;
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Duty Station: East Kutai district, East Kalimantan
Joining Date: January 15, 2021
Contract Duration: 26.5 months (until March 31, 2023)
Direct Supervisor: Project leader.
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 27th, 2020, with subject line ”SULAM – Technical Advisor”
Please name your file as the following format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate]
(i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified