Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area – GIZ International Services – is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients. Our Private Sector Clients team works at the dynamic interface between the private sector and international cooperation.
As part of a new project in Indonesia, we are developing innovative concepts to strengthen regional waste management systems and expand existing plastic waste value chains. The aim of the project “Bersih Indonesia” is to sustainably reduce the plastic waste leakage into the environment by improving the waste management systems of Malang. The pilot phase in Malang will be followed by two scale-up projects in the regencies of Magelang and Sukabumi. In cooperation with regional authorities, the project seeks to improve the collection and treatment of municipal waste through systemic concepts and infrastructural measures, thereby reducing the harmful impact of waste on the environment. The development of regional waste strategies will be supported by a comprehensive monitoring approach of regional (plastic) waste streams and innovative business and financing models involving all relevant stakeholders. The long-term success of the measures is to be additionally ensured by the establishment of regional public waste management authorities.
The advisor provides technical assistance, guidance, and direction for the project activities.
- Technical and conceptual advice on the design of the project;
- Technical steering and monitoring of the implementation of project activities;
- Technical quality assurance of all project activities;
- Technical supervision of sub-contractors;
- Facilitation of dialogues among relevant stakeholders to improve segregated waste collection, transportation and processing in line with the waste hierarchy;
- Advise local partner(s) (institution(s)) on identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provide technical input;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships along the waste management chain, with the government and sub national entities, high-level government officials, the private sector, on community-level and the informal waste workers;
- Preparation of reports, presentation documents, contributions, brief reports etc.
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to this project, such as e.g. environmental sciences or management, social sciences, urban and regional planning, economics or engineering;
- More than 7 years of professional experience in related thematic areas (municipal solid waste management, plastic waste management, etc.);
- Professional experience in the development and technical implementation of waste management systems and infrastructure projects (Municipal infrastructure, integrated waste management systems);
- Professional experience in financial management of waste management system and funding allocation for new initiatives at the municipal level;
- Experience in project planning, management, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in field investigations, surveys, impact studies or other research related activities and in the compilation and analysis of data as well as assurance of project outputs in the field of waste management;
- Experience in designing, organizing and facilitating events; Proven experience in network management (Conferences, workshops and working groups with government entities);
- Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders (high-level political representatives, local state, non-state representatives and private sector (formal and informal)) and build cooperation’s and/or capacities;
- Excellent report writing skills, good communication skills, adaptability, creativity, social awareness and high cultural sensitivity;
- Proven ability to work within complex institutional and organisational settings;
- Complete fluency in English (spoken and written) and excellent command of the local language.
Duty Station: Malang
Joining Date: As soon as possible
Direct Supervisor: Team Leader
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to email@example.com by May 5th, 2021 with subject line BI – TA
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.