The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Indonesia faces major challenges in mobilising domestic resources for its continued sustainable development. Despite steady economic growth averaging 5.6%, the average rate of taxation over the last five years has been extremely low compared to other countries, at just 11%. Overall, the conditions in place for financing the national implementation of the 2030 Agenda in the areas of fiscal policy and tax administration are insufficient. Based on this scenario, the Indonesian and German Governments have agreed to collaborate in the framework of the project ‘Domestic Resource Mobilization for Sustainable Development’ (DRM) in order to address some of the described challenges in the spirit of the global development partnership between the two countries.
The objective of this Indonesian-German project DRM is as follows: The conditions for financing the national implementation of the 2030 Agenda in the areas of fiscal policy and tax administration have improved.
The project operates at the national level and focuses on four fields of activity:
- the capacities of the Indonesian Fiscal Policy Agency, FPA (or Badan Kebijakan Fiskal, BKF) to draft tax legislation and to assess the impacts thereof are strengthened in line with the 2030 Agenda;
- the capacities of FPA/BKF to develop and evaluate subsidy and fiscal incentive programmes are strengthened in line with the 2030 Agenda.
- the necessary conditions to improve the validity of the tax register are created by Directorate General of Tax (or Direktorat Jenderal Pajak, DJP), and
- the capacities of the tax authorities (DJP) to improve tax compliance are strengthened.
The German contribution to DRM is up to 9.500.000 EUR and the timespan to achieve the jointly defined objective and outputs is four years. The project was supposed was launched in May 2019.
To support implementation of DRM in 2022 to 2023, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for: Tax Policy and Compliance Advisor
- Provide technical support for implementation of DRM project activities and capacity development on subjects related to DRM project objective and indicators especially on the tax policy and compliance
- Provide detailed technical analysis and recommendation to DRM project activities in cooperation with implementing partners, in this case DJP, on tax policy formulation and tax compliance improvement
- Monitor project progress, assess and review technical reports and documents concerning project progress, determine bottlenecks and recommend alternative courses of management action to the principal advisor and other advisors
- Management and Coordination
- Develop technical Terms of References (ToR) for contracted third parties (e.g. external consultants and/or service providers)
- Supervise and manage contracted third parties according to agreed deliverables as stated in ToR
- Conceptualize, prepare and implement pilot projects or capacity building events on subjects that are related to DRM project’s key performance indicators
- Support in planning, implementing, and monitoring & evaluation of the project
- Assist the principal advisor in management tasks as assigned
- Project Implementation
- Support the implementation of activities referring to improvement enabling conditions of tax register in cooperation with DJP (DRM output 3)
- Support the strengthening DJP capacities on tax compliance following Compliance Risk Management (CRM) applied in the DJP (DRM output 4)
- Support the development of technical guidelines in cooperation with the relevant partners within Ministry of Finance e.g. BKF on relevant tax policies implementation
- Provide input for the technical content for the capacity development activities in close exchange with the other DRM advisors and the Capacity Development lead of the project
- Networking and Cooperation
- Identify relevant stakeholders and their interest / needs in Indonesia relevant for the project / program’s goal
- Initiate and nurture relationships with key players in tax policy and compliance issues, including other donors, government counterparts, private sector actors and others who share the project’s goals.
- Develop and maintain information exchange between DRM and other relevant GIZ projects
- Knowledge Management
- Independently prepare and provide input for reports/publications used in the project, including activity reports, minute of meetings, factsheet, power point presentation, etc.
- Collect data from relevant stakeholders. Data collected could be related to database of partner’s contact, data and information on standards.
- Contribute in developing concepts including guidelines, manuals, procedures, and lessons learned regarding tax policy and compliance.
- Contribute to the development of publication materials such as power-point presentations, brochures, factsheets, and digital promotion materials.
- Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Subject to discussions with the Principal Advisor, the Advisor may be allocated for additional tasks and other duties for shorter periods.
- Master’s degree in either economics, business administration, political science, social science or comparable specialization with good understanding of tax policy and compliance also tax administration issues
- Proven experiences in project management and leading projects
- The ideal candidate would have the following skillset:
- Experience in formulating tax policies
- Experience working on tax administration issues
- General understanding on database and Compliance Risk Management (CRM)
- Very good working practical knowledge of IT, communication technologies related to technical installations as well as office work
- Very good communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia, including speaking and writing
- 5-years prior working experience in tax-related consulting company or other relevant institutions as a practitioner or project manager
- Experience in working with tax administration issues
- Experience in working with internet of things (IoT) applications will be a benefit
- Interest and sufficient knowledge in major issues of tax policy and compliance in Indonesia and international context
- Experience in events preparation, coordination, and organization
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Focused, proactive, and positive working attitude
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and mobile office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners
- Aware of social and intercultural sensitivities
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: As soon as possible
Direct Supervisor: DRM Principal Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on February 14th, 2023
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: DRM – TPCA
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.