The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Program Indonesia/ASEAN. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), and the International Climate Initiative, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
CASE (Clean, Affordable, and Secure Energy for Southeast Asia) and SETI (Sustainable Energy Transition in Indonesia) are funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK). The program CASE aims to change the narrative of the direction of the energy sector in SEA has substantially shifted towards an evidence-based energy transition (ET), aiming to increase political ambition to comply with the Paris Agreement. Meanwhile, SETI aims to support Indonesia’s energy transition by increasing the share of renewable energy and improving the energy efficiency of key industries as well as in the built environment (sub-national level). SETI aims to support the decarbonization of the energy sector by working with the private sector and on the city level to develop concrete technology solutions while complementing this work through advisory work on sustainable energy policymaking and the strenghtening of (new) financial instruments. Both projects are implemented with a consortium, coordinated and led by GIZ.
To support the implementation of these projects in Indonesia, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position.
- Support the Program Manager and/or Senior Advisor (Team Leader) in implementing the CASE and SETI programs, focusing on sustainable energy transition finance.
- Support the Program Manager and/or Senior Advisor (Team Leader) for activities related clean energy financing in Indonesia within the programme’s mandate.
- Support the development of an advisory concept and practical design of the Indonesian sustainable energy finance framework (e.g. implementation framework of de-risking facilities) to improve the enabling environment for increased investment for clean energy projects
- Together with Advisors and consortium partners, develop and implement the advisory work plan, the concept for research, and a strategy to strengthen the capacities of concerned stakeholders.
- Support the development and good implementation of the projects in Indonesia. This is including achieve synergies with consortium partners, the main counterparts (Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Ministry of National Development Planning, Ministry of Finance), other projects under the GIZ energy programme, as well as key related stakeholders.
- Contribute to reporting and documentation of project results as well as reviewing other documents concerning the progress of project implementation, outcomes and results.
- Support to develop and evaluate activities needed that aligned with the achievement of the outcome of the projects.
- Provision of Sustainable Energy Finance Expertise to foster Indonesia’s Energy Transition
- Provide sustainable energy and climate finance advice to support SETI and CASE in supporting the acceleration of the energy transition in Indonesia.
- Support technical studies on topics related to sustainable energy finance (e.g. coal phase-out financing, renewable energy & energy efficiency finance, energy infrastructure finance, blended finance, public and private finance, etc.).
- Support and advise government partners (Germany, Indonesia) by preparing related studies, background papers, updates, policy briefs, recommendations report, factsheets, etc., in close coordination with other projects under the GIZ Energy Program.
- Support and advise SETI and CASE consortium partners on topics related to sustainable energy finance for the energy transition in Indonesia.
- Lead the implementation of sustainable energy transition finance activities from detailed planning, deadline, and milestone setting, consultant management, stakeholder involvement, and budget planning.
- Support the implementation of the strengthening public and private finance instruments for RE & EE project implementation, development of guidelines of sustainable energy transition finance, as well as supporting the collaboration (MoUs) on RE and/or EE projects investments between project developers and financiers.
- Support the implementation of relevant de-risking facilities to accelerate the energy transition financing in Indonesia.
- Support the systematic identification of future sustainable finance topics to be addressed within the scope of the German-Indonesian cooperation.
- Technical assistance: Implement capacity development measures and activities related to sustainable energy finance.
- Lead the design and support of capacity development for relevant energy finance stakeholders such as line ministries (MEMR, MoF, OJK), utilities, state-owned enterprises (PT SMI, PT PII, etc), private sector stakeholders, and financial institutions on topics related to RE and EE financing.
- Provide inputs to annual operational planning, budget planning, project reporting, and monitoring.
- Prepare TOR and tenders for external suppliers/facilitators/consultants/trainers to conduct relevant technical studies, capacity development measures, training, events, etc
- Act as a focal point for external suppliers/facilitators/consultants/trainers and oversee the implementation of their work, together with the project administrative officer.
- Prepare, organize, and facilitate training, seminars, matchmaking events, and other events on sustainable energy finance-related subjects including administrative and content-related tasks.
- Support consortium members in their efforts to strengthen the capacity on sustainable energy finance topics.
- Stakeholder engagement
- Facilitate contacts, manage relationships and information flow both internally as well as externally (key partners such as key line ministries (MEMR, Bappenas, MoF, OJK), PT SMI, PT PLN, PT PII, Financial Institutions, private stakeholders, businesses, and start-ups, etc.
- Actively conduct outreach to relevant stakeholders. Proactively conduct networking and represent the projects in relevant meetings and forums.
- Identify knowledge gaps among stakeholders, develop guidelines, and design and implement strategic approaches to engage with key counterparts.
- Identify and develop event concepts and plans including the organization of conferences, delegation trips to Germany/abroad, expert exchange meetings, dialogues on sustainable energy finance topics.
- Coordinate closely with the Senior Advisor (Team Leader) and other projects of the Energy Program, as well as other international donors to address key stakeholders’ needs and expectations in the implementation particularly but not limited to topics related to sustainable energy finance.
- Knowledge management
- Design ideas and prepare relevant knowledge products showcasing the purpose, approach, and successes of the projects, including sector background briefings, presentation, success stories, factsheets, brochures, and reports.
- Maintaining the relevant information in clear structure of sharing folder and MS teams filing system.
- Maintain the project knowledge management system (SharePoint) and ensure that all relevant documents are available and uploaded to DMS (Data-Management System of GIZ).
- Participate in events, summarize meeting discussion, and provide synthesis papers relevant for the GIZ energy program, German donor ministries, and or the political partners.
- Participate in internal knowledge management including the GIZ Energy Program, to provide internal analysis and synthesis of energy themes in Indonesia.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Contribute actively to a good working climate and team working within the project and across the GIZ Energy Program.
- Subject to discussions with the Program Manager and or Senior Advisor (Team Leader) the Advisor may be allocated for additional tasks and other duties.
- Share information about the projects with other relevant GIZ projects, seeks synergies, and follow a cooperative approach across GIZ.
- Assist other experts and advisors -including consultants- and performs additional duties at the request of the Project Manager/Coordinator, the Energy Programme Director, or other Senior Advisors
- Bachelor/Masters (B/MSc; B/MA) in sustainable and green finance, business and finance administration, energy economics, energy and environment, or any relevant areas that is related to the project objectives, preferably with a sustainable finance background.
- At least 5 (five) years professional experience in/with the clean energy sector, including on topics related sustainable energy finance, financing clean energy infrastructures, renewable energy, and energy efficiency.
- At least 2 (two) years providing technical assistance to governmental and/or regional/ international implementing organizations in the field of sustainable energy finance / climate finance / green finance.
- Previous experience preparing and managing technical energy related studies including supervision and steering of consultants is a strong asset.
- A proven track-record of successfully bringing projects from idea/concept to implementation.
- Previous experience in preparing and implementing events and capacity development measures (conference, delegation trips, trainings, dialogues, etc.) is an asset.
- Previous experience working with/for key line ministries (MEMR, Bappenas, MoF, OJK), PT SMI, PT PLN, Financial Institutions, private energy company is an asset.
- Good understanding of policy-making processes within the Government of Indonesia is an asset.
- Previous professional experience abroad, including Germany, US, Japan, Europe, UK, and/or UN Agency is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments.
- Highly self-motivated and adaptable to learning and understanding new things, as well as ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet critical deadlines.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge about sustainable energy including the global discourse about the energy transition, overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes.
- Very good knowledge of ICT technologies (internet, e-mail) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office/Teams).
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Very strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills in multicultural context.
- International experience, ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Willingness to travel (abroad, Germany) when required.
- Proactive approach, good communicator, ready to join a versatile team.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Sustainable Energy Finance Lead, Energy Programme
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30th, 2023, with subject line CASE SETI – SETF Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.