The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is globally headquartered within the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL Southeast Asia (J-PAL SEA) is one of seven independent regional offices based around the world hosted at local universities. J-PAL is a pioneer of using randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economics and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI) seeks qualified applicants for Short Term Consultant positions to assist and support the field activities of Reach Up and Learn project.
The successful candidate will be working to support the acquirement of research permits for the project, engaging the local government, and conducting qualitative work as part of the Reach Up and Learn pilot field preparation. Reach up and Learn is an early childhood intervention program that has been successfully adapted in dozens of developing countries, and it will be adapted in Indonesia with the support from local and international researchers from J-PAL Southeast Asia and TNP2K (National Team for the Acceleration of Poverty Reduction). The objective of the Reach up and Learn program is to improve parenting quality particularly from low-income households, raise awareness on the importance of early childhood stimulation and facilitate them in child-rearing activities. The candidate is expected to contribute to the successful implementation of the intervention as well as the implementation of the pilot study.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research and promoting the use of evidence in policy making. In collaboration with the respective team, the Short-term Consultant will support the field preparation and activities with the Research Associate in East Java. A Jakarta-based Manager and the Associate will guide and supervise the Short-term Consultant in his/her various tasks.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Field activities preparations:
- Lead the research permit acquirement for the study, including preparing the documents and engaging with relevant stakeholders in collaboration with Associate;
- Support the Associate in the field activities preparation, including but not limited to logistics and qualitative data collection preparation;
- In close coordination with the Associate, consultant will also engage with local stakeholders, including but not limited to local government counterpart, facilitators, and potential beneficiaries
Reporting and Communication:
- Support the Associate in budget management and administration reporting;
- Communicate and report to the Associate and Research Manager;
- Provide report for the field activities conducted.
- A Bachelor’s degree in psychology, economy, social sciences (International Relations, Politics, Communications, etc), public policy, or related technical fields.
- Experience in managing field research permits and data collection is required.
- Local to East Java rural areas, preferably Bojonegoro, Tuban, Lamongan, Mojokerto, or Kediri.
- Excellent communication skills in Bahasa. English skill is not mandatory but preferable.
- Proven management and organizational skills.
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience in conducting qualitative research.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with RCTs.
- Having an interest related to Early childhood Development Programs in Indonesia
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before May 18, 2022 to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Short-Term Consultant”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, diploma, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words (in Bahasa/English). The cover letter should highlighting how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working in this project and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plan.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.