UNHCR REPRESENTATION IN INDONESIA
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
No. 18/INSJA/010 – UNOPS
Functional Title : Senior Protection Assistant (Community Based)
Category & Level : UNOPS, Local Individual Contract Agreement/ LICA- 5 level.
Duty Station : Tanjung Pinang, Kepulauan Riau
Entry on Duty : 01 November 2018
Duration : Initially until 31 December 2018 with possibility of extension.
Annual Salary : Starting from IDR 170.604.000
Closing Date : 27 September 2018
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Protection Assistant (Community – Based) is a member of the Protection Unit with under direct supervision of the Protection Officer (Community –Based), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Assist functional units, the Multi-Functional Team (MFT) and senior management to integrate participatory and Community-based approaches in the overall protection delivery strategy.
2. Through relationships with persons of concern and network of partners stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment and provide advice to the protection team. Understand the perspectives, capacities, needs and resources of the persons of concern and advice the protection team accordingly, highlighting the specific protection needs of women and men, children, youth and older persons, persons with disabilities, marginalized groups.
3. Assist in initiatives with host communities to involve national civil society groups in the protection of persons of concern.
4. Support implementing and operational partners as well as displaced and local communities to develop community owned activities to address, where applicable, the social, educational, psycho-social, cultural, health, organisational and livelihood concerns as well as child protection and prevention and response to SGBV.
5. Assist in the analysis that identifies the capacities of communities of concern and risks they face.
6. Support participatory assessments by multifunctional teams and ongoing consultation with persons of concern
7. Support efforts to build the office capacity for community-based protection.
8. Support communities in establishing representation and coordination structures
9. Ensure community understanding of UNHCR’s commitment to deliver on accountability and quality assurance in its response.
10. Collect data for monitoring of programmes and budgets from an AGD perspective.
11. Draft and type routine correspondence, documents and reports using word processing equipment and maintain up-to-date filing systems.
12. Act as interpreter in exchange of routine information, contribute to related liaison activities and respond directly to routine queries.
13. Perform other relevant duties as required
Cross-Functional Competencies: Analytical Thinking, Planning and Organizing Political Awareness.
Education: Minimum completion of secondary education but preferably a University Degree in International Development, Cultural Studies, Human Rights, International Social Work, Social Science, Political Science, Anthropology, International Law or other clearly related disciplines
Experience: Four (4) years work experience in a similar area or in the wider human rights field required. Working in a multi-cultural environment or international context is an added asset.
Nationality: Citizen of Indonesia; non-citizen with Indonesian permanent residence.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia (written and oral) highly essential; knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
Desirable Skills: Knowledge of Administrative/financial rules, processes in the context of UNHCR office and Indonesia operations; Good written and oral communication skills; computer literacy; good knowledge of UNHCR’s protection mandate; Good knowledge of UNHCR ProGres database;
(i) Within UNHCR involving the exchange of a wide range of information.
(ii) With external parties
Supervision Exercised and Guidance Given
On-the-job training will be provided to the successful candidate.