As part of the Global Sourcing team, you will be responsible for screening, planning, coordinating, and growing our Nature-Based Solutions emission reduction project Portfolio in Asia. You will be reporting directly to the Global Practice Lead for NBS Sourcing. In addition, you will closely collaborate with the regional heads of the project development and implementation team to ensure an efficient and effective implementation of South Pole’s sourcing strategies. Nature-based solutions will focus on project-level REDD+, nature-based removal projects (Afforestation/Reforestation and Improved Forest Management), and potentially jurisdictional REDD+ while also supporting agriculture related projects.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Source new projects that are eligible for carbon finance, specifically projects in forest conservation/restoration, improved forest management, afforestation/reforestation, blue carbon and agriculture
- Attain or surpass the global NBS project sourcing goals for the region, as defined by the global Director of NBS Project sourcing and the Associate Director global sourcing of removal projects
- Support implementation of South Pole’s projects once they have been acquired, in close collaboration with the Project Development and Implementation team
- Proactively network with relevant organisations; including potential project owners, resource-based communities, concession holders, public-private entities, government agencies, NGOs/foundations, associations, banks etc.
- Attend relevant gatherings and conferences and expand the existing network of NBS stakeholders
- Map and plan resources efficiently and adequately to optimise sourcing activities
- Hire, manage and support a team to support Sourcing and Project Implementation in the region
- On a case-by-case basis, form part of deal teams for carbon projects that require investment in the form of carbon credit prepayments, equity or debt finance, and require effective communications with the investment and structuring teams of South Pole
- On a case-by-case basis, liaise with South Pole’s Agricultural Value Chain team on coordinating new potential in-setting projects and projects aimed at reducing supply chain emissions from commodities delivered to South Pole’s corporate clients with the Agricultural Value Chains team
- University degree in Economics, Environmental Sustainability, Business Development, Law and Environmental/Carbon Markets or similar
- Professional work experience in the fields of carbon markets, environmental project assessment and/or, climate change mitigation actions
- Demonstrated people skills through experience in engaging with external stakeholders and networking activities
- Good understanding of commercial terms, contracts, sales and ideally experience with commercial negotiations
- Existing networks in NBS fields such as forestry, conservation, or biodiversity
- Professional proficiency in English
- Comfortable working with an international and multicultural team
- Broad understanding of global sustainability issues
- Proficiency with Google Suite, MS office
- Adaptability and versatility
- A Masters degree is an advantage
- Knowledge of, and experience with, emission reduction project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Knowledge and experience working with Agriculture, Forestry and other Land Use (AFOLU) projects
- Good working knowledge of any relevant Asian language
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Click the link below to apply: