The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government.
The „Sustainable Agricultural Supply Chains in Indonesia (SASCI)“ project, in collaboration with its main government partner, Ministry of Agriculture (specifically the Directorate General of Estate Crops) supports the Government of Indonesia in its efforts to reduce GHG emissions from deforestation and forest degradation by promoting sustainable supply chains for selected agricultural commodities (primarily palm oil) by smallholder farmers in Kapuas Hulu district, West Kalimantan. With the project aiming for a jurisdictional approach, the project objective „Establishment of deforestation-free agricultural supply chains for renewable commodities with global markets“ shall ensure that legally protected forest ecosystems in Kapuas Hulu district in West Kalimantan province (the „jurisdiction“) are not negatively affected in quality (degradation) or quantity (deforestation) by the production of selected agricultural commodities (primarily but not exclusively palm oil).
For a sustainable, deforestation-free production of agricultural commodities such as palm oil, the cooperation between smallholder farmers, local governments, and private companies is crucial. Europe, including Germany, is an important market for Indonesian agricultural commodities and in 2015 Germany imported 0.52 million tonnes of palm oil directly from Indonesia. The private sector in general, and particularly the large global corporations, has identified „deforestation“ as a corporate risk, not least due to civil society pressure and consumer preferences, and is aware of the potential repercussions stemming from this risk, as demonstrated by the numerous corporate initiatives to achieve deforestation-free supply chains with traceable commodities in recent years.
The project comprises four main outputs: (1) Strengthening the capacity of smallholder farmers for sustainable production of palm oil and other agricultural commodities; (2) Increasing the capacity of government organisations, civil society actors and the private sector for sustainable agricultural commodity supply chain implementation, including conflict-resolution mechanisms; (3) Strengthening national initiatives for implementation of sustainable agricultural commodity supply chains; (4) Smallholder farmers in Kapuas Hulu district, West Kalimantan have access to global markets.
In close cooperation with the Project Leader, the incumbent is responsible for the
- Coordination of Project activities with the Project’s executing agency and its implementing agencies according to the objective of the Project
- Coordination of Project activities with other relevant government agencies at national, provincial (West Kalimantan) and district (Kapuas Hulu) level, local and international organisations, GIZ office Jakarta and other GIZ-supported projects (FORCLIME, SCPOPP, Peat Land Management and Rehabilitation, others)
- Maintenance of good communication and flow of information among all involved institutions and organisations
- Promoting and mainstreaming the results and experiences of the Project within the Project executing agency and among all involved institutions and organisations.
1. Professional advisory services
• Provide professional support and advice, in particular to the elaboration of policy recommendations and the development and implementation of project-relevant sector strategies
• Support the Project Executing Agency and Implementing Agency within the Ministry of Agriculture with regard to monitoring and evaluation of national strategies and plans for sustainable production of plantation crops
• Participate in the preparation and implementation of consultation processes at all levels within the context of the National Action Plan for Sustainable Palm Oil Production
• Facilitate coordination processes between the Project Partners at national, provincial, and district levels
• Coordinate the planning and implementation of joint activities in West Kalimantan province and Kapuas Hulu district with the Project Executing Agency and Implementation Agency
• Prepare terms of reference and participate in the selection and supervision of contracted third parties in carrying out Project activities, including performance evaluation
• Collaborate in the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars, and other events on subjects that are related to the Project’s field of activities
• Provide professional inputs to workshops, seminars and other events that are related to the Project’s field of activities.
2. Networking and cooperation
• Co-operate with and maintain regular contacts with the Project executing agency and its departments, other relevant government agencies at all levels, local communities, relevant local and international organisations (such as UNDP/Sustainable Palm Oil Initiative, RSPO, FONAP, LTKL), non-governmental bodies and persons within the Project’s environment as well as with other projects (e.g. FORCLIME, FOKSBI, Peat Land Management and Rehabilitation), in order to enhance and maintain good working relationships and smooth implementation of Project activities
• Communicate and channel local interests and aspirations and exchange ideas and information for the benefit of the Project
• Conduct field visits to West Kalimantan province, Kapuas Hulu district, and other relevant provinces (e.g. East and North Kalimantan) and districts in accordance with the requirements of the Programme, in close consultation with the Project Leader
3. Knowledge management
• Compile information about policies and sector strategies of the Project executing agency and ensure knowledge transfer
• Collaborate in the development of strategies and technical concepts including guidelines, manuals, and procedures, which are ready to be applied
• Participate in the sharing and wider dissemination in relevant forums of new knowledge and lessons learned at provincial and district levels
• Prepare reports and presentation materials
• Prepare appropriate inputs to the various Project reports and publications; contribute to other reports required by the GIZ Project Leader, the GIZ headquarters and the Programme executing agency
• Suggest and follow up research and study activities on policy topics that will benefit collaborative initiatives.
4. Management and coordination tasks
• Collaborate in the development, implementation and monitoring of Project plans and activities in close consultation with counterpart agencies within the Ministry of Agriculture and at local government level
• Provide inputs to general Project planning and design, including preparation, organization and, whenever relevant, moderation of planning exercises in close coordination with the Project executing agency and the Project Leader
• Conduct quality assurance and control of activities and results and propose necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives
• Contribute to the design and implementation of M&E of Project activities
• Compile relevant information for collaborative activities and missions
• Participate in the planning and implementation of study tours, visiting delegations, exchange visits, missions from GIZ and German government institutions, and other official events as required
• Compile relevant information for joint activities and assignments
• In the absence of the Project Leader, take the necessary and appropriate actions to facilitate continued and smooth operation of the Project.
5. Other duties/additional tasks
• Coordinate counterpart contributions according to the requirements of Project implementation
• In close cooperation with the Project Leader, contribute to the planning, coordination and organisation of tasks within the project team
• Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the management.
• At least a Bachelor’s degree (BSc) and preferably a Master’s degree (MSc) in a field that is related and relevant to the Project objective and outputs, ideally with a focus on plantation commodities, good agricultural practices, or another relevant field.
• A minimum of 10 years’ post-graduate experience, with at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Proven track record in positions with managerial responsibility
• Fluency in written and spoken English indispensable; working knowledge of German desirable
• Willingness to upgrade skills as required by the tasks to be performed.
• Basic working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: SASCI’s Principal Advisor (Project Leader)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on October 11th, 2019.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: SASCI – Senior National Advisor
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Address GIZ Indonesia Country Office, Menara BCA 46th Floor