The GIZ-implemented Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN supports the Indonesian Government in a partner-based approach in achieving its targets for a sustainable energy transition. These include realizing 23% renewable energy in the power mix by 2025 and 34% by 2030, achieving Net Zero Emissions by 2060 and mainstreaming low-carbon technologies as part of an overall economic transformation.
As one of the measures under the Energy Programme, the “Solar Cold Chains for a Green Economy in Indonesia” (SOCOOL) Project shall create suitable technological and market framework conditions to enable a long-term reduction of CO2 emissions in Indonesia’s cooling sector. An industry-based, national approach in partnership with the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime Affairs and Investment (Kemenko Marves) shall ensure contributions to Indonesia’s Vision 2045 and wider green economic transformation. Clear contributions towards Indonesia’s Nationally Determined Contributions and renewable energy targets shall be made while achieving socio-economic improvements in related sectors of the economy with high demands for cold chain expansion and preservation of goods.
The Project is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) with an overall duration of four years (01/2023-12/2026) and has the general objective: ”Solar cold chains are rolled out in key sectors of the economy as a contribution to climate-friendly green transformation”. Its main outputs are:
- Government advice and national planning: Instruments for quantitative and qualitative monitoring support the use of solar technologies in cold chains for national planning processes.
- Alliances and market development: Technology partnerships have developed adapted technical solutions for solar cold chains.
- Demonstration: Pilot applications with state actors and the private sector have shown technologically and economically viable examples for the dissemination of solar cold chains.
The Project closely interacts with other initiatives under the Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN.
To support implementation of SOCOOL, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for: (Senior) Government Advisor on Cold Chain Expansion
- Act as (senior) liaison officer, develop partner relationships towards all relevant ministerial partners (Kemenko Marves, ESDM, KKP, etc) and facilitate inter-ministerial coordination on cold chain expansion strategies and topics
- In tandem with the Principal Advisor, set-up the Project by developing and agreeing a steering structure and creating buy-in from all relevant governmental partners
- Advise Kemenko Marves and other partners (e.g. KKP, ESDM) on national planning processes for cold chain expansion and integration / mainstreaming of solar cooling in a standardized way
- Provide or facilitate institutional and technical advice on cold chain expansion and sustainability of government infrastructure measures (e.g. post-installation management and business models)
- Stay abreast of best practices and standards for cold chain infrastructure expansion and management
- Implement quantitative and qualitative monitoring instruments to support the adoption of solar technologies in cold chains and to inform national planning processes.
- Devise and implement capacity development activities, trainings and delegation visits
- Manage relations and flow of information on a day-to-day level during project implementation especially with ministerial partners and ensure timely and professional communication between all involved institutions and GIZ
- Secure regular steering and operational planning throughout the project period
- Support other GIZ energy projects in partner liaison, strategy development, etc
1. Management and Coordination
- Plans, sets up and manages activities agreed with the partners under the Project in close collaboration with the Principal Advisor and other advisors
- Facilitates inter-ministerial coordination on cold chain expansion strategies and topics and coordinates meetings, workshops, seminars and other project activities
- Advises on the institutionalisation of inter-ministerial exchange and application of best practices, e.g. through regular technical working groups
- Coordinates, processes and feeds outputs of other activities towards government advice and closely cooperates and consultants with all advisors
- Steers together with long- and short-term experts assigned to projects/programmes to ensure the completion of their tasks
- Follows-up with project partners on agreements
- Partner Liaison, Networking and Relationships
- Establishes and develops partner relations on behalf of the Project, in particular with Kemenko Marves, ESDM, KKP and relevant associations
- Ensures close communication, coordination and an active network with the ministerial partners of the project and acts as main communication focal point on behalf of the project
- Establishes a project steering structure in coordination with Kemenko Marves and the Principal Advisor and secures regular steering and operational planning throughout the project period
- Ensures timely reporting towards Kemenko Marves and other ministry partners across all outputs with a high-quality standard
- Promotes dialogue in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, involving different political levels as well as national and provincial government actors
- Identifies and analyses existing and future strategic partners (public, private, academia, NGOs, CSOs, etc) for cooperation opportunities
- Ensures alignment with other project partners such as associations or research institutions (e.g. ARPI and others)
- Coordinates externally with key project stakeholders and internally with other measures under the Energy Programmes Indonesia/ASEAN to ensure a systemic and strategic approach
- Technical Advice, Knowledge Management and Events
- Mobilises technical advice and provides concerted input on national planning processes for cold chain expansion and integration / mainstreaming of solar cooling in a standardized way (output 1)
- Provides best practices for cold chain expansion, post-installation management and business models (e.g. of government-funded cold storages) for further replication and upscaling
- Implements quantitative and qualitative monitoring instruments to support the adoption of solar technologies in cold chains and to inform national planning processes (output 1).
- Devises and implements a capacity development strategy, related activities and trainings
- Facilitates knowledge management and ensures knowledge transfer and interaction between government institutions, NGOs and society
- Oversees organisation of major events and delegation trips to Germany or other countries
- General obligations
- is familiar with GIZ planning, implementation and reporting procedures and their changes
- is familiar with other programme components and GIZ-assisted measures, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff
- represents the interest of the GIZ-assisted measures and always acts on its behalf
- carries out important tasks for the project/programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description
- Master’s degree in relevant field with possible specialization on industrial engineering, environmental engineering/management, energy, logistics, etc.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in government advise, cold chain management or field relevant for the tasks of the position
- At least 2 years of specific experience in the field of energy in the private or public sector
- Proven capability of relating above mentioned topics to policy aspects and support on institutional level (government advise)
- Experience in successfully implementing cooperation projects in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, involving actors from different public and private institutions
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments
- The following qualifications are regarded as assets:
- Well-connected and established network within the energy or cooling sector in Indonesia
- Experience in renewable energies (solar PV)
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic team
- Good interpersonal skills and a willingness to cooperate effectively with colleagues and partners across projects
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related to software and digital technologies for the work environment), Excel and other computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams);
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: ASAP
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor Solar Cold Chains for a Green Economy Project
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to email@example.com by 27 January 2023 with subject line SOCOOL – SGA CCE
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.