Join CIFOR-ICRAF and make a difference!
Senior Field Coordinator for North Sumatra
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a:
Senior Field Coordinator for North Sumatra
ICRAF Indonesia is currently implementing a three-year project entitled Sustainable Oil Palm Agroforestry Concept for North Sumatera (SOPANS). The project is funded by The Livelihoods Fund for Family Farming (L3F) under the Palm project to contribute to sustainable pathway of oil palm industry through promoting regenerative agriculture practices among independent smallholders. In particular, the project will foster the replanting of oil palm from monocultural system into agroforestry systems. The SOPANS project will be jointly implemented by SNV and Musim Mas, for a result-oriented partnership.
The Senior Field Coordinator will be based in North Sumatera. The position will be responsible for coordinating, consolidating, and ensuring smooth implementation of program and operations’ activities in the field in partnership with SNV and Musim Mas.
Duties and responsibilities
Specific project goals
1. Facilitate the engagement process with project partners and relevant stakeholders in community
2. Provide support to achieve the first objective of the project, enhance understanding of oil palm agroforestry options and practices for independent oil palm smallholders in the context of North Sumatra and promote sustainable models, both agronomically and economically
3. Provide support to achieve the second objective of the project, technical capacity strengthening of farmers in designing and adopting oil palm agroforestry system through SNV staff, farmer champions
4. Facilitate overall project implementation in the field and ensure good collaboration of the project partners
Professional advisory services
1. Manage the field task and activities of the project under the coordination and supervision of the SOPANS Project Coordinator based in Bogor, project research team in Bogor, and maintain day-to-day relations with project partners in the field
2. Develop the workplan with the SOPANS Project Coordinator, monitor the field activities and outputs, record and report the problems and unexpected changes, and propose solutions and revisions in the work plan, if necessary
3. Provide technical supervisory and support to, as well as quality control and assurance of the Junior Field Facilitator
Management and coordination
1. Manage the allocated budget for field activities in a responsible and accountable manners and develop and submit the high-quality financial report timely
2. Facilitate, and organize meetings and events including training programs with project partners regarding project activities in the field
3. Monitor project activities and prepare timely field progress
4. Identify keep accurate recording and archiving of all activities, including data, pictures, attendance sheets, activity reports, correspondence, etc
5. In collaboration with project partners, prepare all logistical matters related to trainings and meetings
Communication and networking
1. Establish and maintain positive working relations with project partners and relevant stakeholders in community to ensure cooperation and success of project implementation
2. Represent the World Agroforestry (ICRAF) as requested by and under consultation with the SOPANS Project Coordinator
1. Contribute to and develop community communication products, such as poster, guideline, etc., as targeted by the project and requested by the SOPANS Project Coordinator
2. Document the activities and progress in the field as a monthly report and provide information and inputs for the project progress/final reports to donor, as being tasked by the SOPANS Project Coordinator
Education, knowledge and experience
1. Educational background (master’s degree) in forestry, agriculture (major field Agronomy with research interest on Oil Palm cultivation), and / or other related fields.
2. Minimum 8 (eight) years of a successful work experience record in the subject area (s) related to project management & implementation, experience working with the oil palm plantation sector will be a plus
3. Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment, while functioning as an individual contributor
4. Have good analytical skills to support research works and able to provide succinct field report
5. Have a good community engagement and facilitation skills
6. Proficiency with commonly used word processing and calculation software. Experience working with Microsoft Office Package
7. Proficiency in English communication (verbal and written 😉 good working knowledge of English in the areas of his/her professional expertise; good interpersonal skills
8. Ability to plan and prioritize workload and strong monitoring and reporting skills
9. Ability to work under pressure
10. Demonstrated self-motivational and result-oriented nature; good planning and problem analyzing/ solving skills
11. Good knowledge of the area/region and its local customs
12. Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills
13. Computer literate (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, or any office application)
14. Basic administrative and documentation skills
Personal attributes and competencies:
1. Strong character, multitasking person who is able to work under pressure
2. Well organized; able to meet deadlines, good understanding of time management
3. Proactive and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team
4. Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-cultural teams
5. Willing to learn new skills/knowledge related to the scope/content of the specific projects
6. Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
7. Willing to receive feedback from others
8. Has a vision to develop the organization and an intention of continuous improvement
Terms and conditions
• This is a Locally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for 6 (six) months, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be in North Sumatera, Indonesia.
• CIFOR-ICRAF reserves the right to modify the number of positions, locations, or cancel the hiring at all.
• Based on the performance/ competencies and needs, hired staff may be relocated to other project locations with mutual consent.
• The application deadline is 13 December 2021.
• Interested candidates are requested to send your application with cover letter, with at least three references. Application without cover and references will not be considered.
• Candidates should mention the positions they are applying in the cover letter.
• CIFOR-ICRAF has discretion to delay or cancel the recruitment process at any stage.
• All applications will be acknowledged but only contact short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
https://www.cifor.org/careers and www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at:
https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.