Established in 2017, Lestari Capital is a start-up environmental enterprise, built to protect the world’s natural assets through a commercially viable business model. We accomplish this by mobilizing new finance for initiatives that protect and rehabilitate important natural landscapes around the world. The Indonesian word “Lestari” means sustainable, or everlasting, signifying our commitment to developing long-term sources of finance for high quality conservation and restoration initiatives.
As the global commodity, transportation and energy sectors begin to respond to evolving market requirements, Lestari Capital works in parallel with the same forces driving supply-chain transformation to generate financing for conservation. Lestari Capital supports multi-stakeholder sustainability standards by providing credible, transparent and efficient ways for the private sector to meet and surpass sustainability commitments, certifications and import requirements. We are using this approach in Southeast Asia, demonstrating how the cost of environmental impact can be built into the cost of commodity production.
Lestari Capital’s impact model addresses a critical need for long-term operating capital for Projects run by local communities, conservation non-profits and environmental services companies. Lestari Capital aims to strengthen Southeast Asia’s emerging ecosystem services marketplace, by connecting demand for on-the-ground conservation efforts among commodity producers/buyers with Projects that are protecting or restoring forests where these companies operate, to protect at-risk areas.
At the center of Lestari’s approach is the Sustainable Commodities Conservation Mechanism (SCCM), which finances Projects for a minimum of 25 years. The SCCM provides independent fiduciary oversight that ties payments to results on the ground, ensuring benefits to local communities, global climate and biodiversity. Funds are managed through a financial vehicle domiciled in Singapore that delivers payments through a custodian bank.
Lestari Capital’s diverse Project portfolio includes internationally certified initiatives on the forefront of tropical conservation, ecosystem restoration and community forestry. Our company specializes in selecting, vetting and financing certified conservation, restoration and community-forest Projects that protect forests, peatlands and biodiversity. This includes working with members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and those with “Zero Deforestation” pledges. Efforts are also underway to expand to additional commodity sectors, as our company supports emerging sustainability trends through a credible and transparent conservation finance platform.
Lestari Capital is supported by a diverse group of public-private partnerships and brings actors from the commodities and finance sectors together with conservation initiatives and funders. Our portfolio prioritizes support for Project models that can eventually support jurisdictional and national climate targets.
This position of Senior Business Development Manager (SBDM) is a client-facing business development role with the main focuses of identifying, engaging, acquiring, and retaining new company partners and clients for Lestari Capital’s workstreams on RSPO SCCM I vehicle and the development and implementation of a No Deforestation, No Peat, and No Exploitation (NDPE) SCCM II vehicle.
The SBDM will be expected to have excellent, in-depth, and personal knowledge of the oil palm market and its changing trends; the needs and challenges of supply chain actors operating in the market; as well as the sustainability requirements and increasing demands placed on the sector.
The SBDM will have and will continue to build a solid and trusted network within the sector in Indonesia and Malaysia and will bring to the position personal relationships with individuals at the highest levels of decision-making within oil palm companies. He/She will be expected to fully understand the challenges and opportunities for individual companies to support the design of Lestari Capital’s solutions and turn these into increased uptake.
As a key leadership role in Lestari Capital, the position will require that the holder actively develops, manages and “owns” the strategic planning and supporting processes and procedures for the business development effort in collaboration with junior business development staff, which they will mentor and manage. It is the position’s responsibility to develop a pipeline of new business for Lestari Capital and the setting and tracking of progress towards client company uptake.
Given the trusted relationships and the in-depth knowledge that the position holder maintains with the oil palm sector, the position is also one of innovation and product design. The SBDM will work closely with the CSO to constantly improve existing Lestari Capital’s products, develop new and innovative solutions to sustainability commitments and challenges, and generate momentum, excitement, and ultimately uptake by the sector.
New Business Development
- Lead the identification, engagement, and ultimately acquisition of new corporate partners and clients for existing and upcoming SCCM products.
- As part of the above, research and build positive and trusting relationships with new clients; plan individualised approaches, create relevant materials and proposals that speak to potential client companies’ needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Work closely with the CSO, CCO, COO, and CEO to develop propositions, terms sheets, and contracts for new clients.
- Ensure close coordination with the project delivery team, and the CCO specifically, to ensure alignment on delivery of commitments.
- Lead the implementation of the entire on-boarding process from initial engagement, to needs identification, presentation of pitch, and personalisation of product, taking the client company through term sheet, contracting, and Know-Your-Client (KYC) processes, whilst continually problem-solve and ensure a positive experience.
- Develop and then implement a strategic plan and pipeline for corporate uptake of SCCM vehicles and build the supporting processes and structures within Lestari Capital.
- Build and maintain a solid network within the oil palm sector in Indonesia and Malaysia with corporate leaders and decision-makers, as well as financiers, company owners, and others. Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
Corporate Partnership Retention
- Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
- Work with project staff and other internal colleagues to meet client company needs.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends to the Lestari Capital team.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in company uptake.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM or other business development management system. Submit bi-weekly progress reports.
- Work closely with the COO on monitoring Strategic Plan implementation.
- Identify and creatively utilise communication opportunities to promote Lestari Capital’s work. Work with communication team to ensure that the correct message is delivered to related corporate stakeholders.
- Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
Innovation and Product Design
- Contribute to and where necessary, lead the design of, new business opportunities in line with the business plan and strategy of the company,
- Innovatively work with key staff and junior financial analyst to describe and model future products/services/vehicles to generate standard financial metrics which can be used to assess the business case (cost, time to market, human resource requirements, timeline and profitability) of new business opportunities as they emerge.
- Engage and consult with potential clients to sound board and obtain feedback on new environmental finance mechanisms under development.
- Obtain anchor client buy-in and where necessary anchor investments for development.
- Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, or related field. A Master of Business Administration qualifications considered a significant plus.
- Demonstrated, in-depth understanding of the palm oil market, its actors, and personal networks within the industry at executive and other decision-maker levels.
- Applied experience of corporate sustainability policy, international sustainability standard and certification setting bodies.
- Demonstrated track record in a similar business development position.
- 5+ years of experience in a related leadership and programme management position.
- 3+ years of marketing and communications experience.
- Understanding of financial mechanisms development and workings considered a significant plus.
- Good communication both oral and written, in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Experience in both startup and large corporate settings considered a premium.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Highly proactively motivated leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and professional and personal integrity. Capable of finding multiple ways around problems and multiple entry points into securing new client relationships.
- Able and willing to delegate tasks to junior staff and maintain a realistic workload which prioritizes closing client deals and achieving targets over personal and professional interests,
- Be able to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
- An experienced professional in mid to late-career who is passionate about and driven by the application of his/her skills to the purpose, mission and impact that his/her work is having on the world.
- A pro-active personality who brings a spirit of enthusiasm, self-motivation and inspirational positivity to the workplace and is not discouraged by temporary lack of clarity, systems and procedures. A person who thrives from the challenge of building and creating a well-oiled machine will thrive in our family.
- Able and willing to embrace the challenge of trying to solve problems based on new and not fully understood inter-disciplinary business models.
- Embraces the role of being both learner and teacher of your colleagues.
- Willing to own, be responsible for and proactively lead tasks that are both above and below his/her skill level until additional staff are appointed to support. The company is new and even the executive leadership is required to undertake basic operating tasks.
- Capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player, with initiative and creativity.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
The candidate will be based in our Lestari Capital office in Jakarta. The candidate must have the flexibility to travel both nationally and internationally as and when necessary.
Applicants should apply by sending a cover letter and CV to: Michal Zrust, Chief Sustainability Officer, email@example.com
The job description can also be found here: http://lestaricapital.com/jobs/
Important: Please include your name and “SBDM” in the subject line of the email and in the titles of all attachments (please use the format: Name_SBDM_CV.pdf, Name_ SBDM_CoverLetter.pdf). In cover letter please include this summary table:
|Degree type (BA, MS)|
|Years of work experience|
- Address Gran Rubina Business Park, Jalan HR. Rasuna Said, RT.1/RW.5, Karet Kuningan, Setia Budi, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota