The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
Indonesia is one of the 17 mega-diverse country, with 2 of the world’s 25 hotspots, among other ranks of the word’s center of flora and fauna diversity. Prior to CBD ratification, in 1993, Bappenas and KLHK introduce Biodiversity Action Plan for Indonesia, followed by several revised documents known as Indonesia Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (IBSAP) and now in the process in updating the post 2020 IBSAP. Over the past decades, integrated management on terrestrial and coastal-marine areas has been gaining attention of the Government of Indonesia, particularly in regard to Blue Economy and biodiversity management. However, on-the ground implementation is a complex and formidable task that still becomes an issue to be solved. The increasing development by the time decreasing the environmental quality. Sectoral and silo approach according to each jurisdiction may no longer be applicable. Instead, collaborative, integrated, and transformative approaches are keys to achieve sustainable development at various scales. The current national agenda, for instance, highlighted the green economy transformation and observed the nexus between climate, biodiversity, and development. The integrated management of land-and seascape in Indonesia is therefore, one of the keys to support the sustainable development.
The project “Land-and Seascape Solutions for Indonesia (LASSO)” aims at developing and deploying an ecosystem approach for land and seascapes in at least three regions in Indonesia. As such, its focus lies on biodiversity conservation and ecological restoration, including efforts to strengthen the sustained provision of eco-system services, strengthen blue and green economies as pathways to sustainable development, including agroforestry, aquaculture, and the promotion of ecotourism. LASSO promotes enhanced climate-resilient livelihoods through public-private-people partnership (PPPCP), policies and investments and facilitates learning among partner provinces and scaling-up to others using an inter-provincial knowledge sharing platform. This project is a partnership between the Government of Germany (BMUV) and the Government of Indonesia (BAPPENAS) and will be implemented by a consortium consist of GIZ, ICRAF, SNV and Yayasan KEHATI Indonesia.
To support implementation of the project, we seek one (1) Indonesian candidate for this position. Job title in SAP: Senior Marine Protection and Management of Costal Zones Advisor.
The incumbent is responsible but not limited for:
- Lead project component: policy and capacity building on integrated land-and-seascape management with focus on biodiversity and climate resilience (under output 1 and 4).
- Ensure the activities under output 1 and 4 are well implemented at a national and sub-national level in coordination with the consortium partners and GIZ team.
- Provide advisory service to the project and its partners on: the integration of biodiversity and climate resilience policies into spatial and development planning, government monitoring systems, biodiversity financing associated with international conventions such as CBD.
- Liaise with the Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappenas), Ministry of Marine & Fisheries (KKP), Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK), other relevant ministries and sub-national governments in three pilot areas regarding project implementation.
- Ensure the synergy and coordination process among related actors at national and subnational level related to biodiversity and blue economy policy, climate resilience initiatives and integrated terrestrial-coastal/marine management.
- Organize and facilitate trainings, seminars and other events including event organization, program development, input preparation and participant selection and outreach, among
- Support to the knowledge management and preparation of learning products on learning and innovations, together with partners and important stakeholders, and coordination with GIZ communication/knowledge management officer at Country Office Indonesia and IKI Hub for dissemination
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
- Professional advisory services
- advises partner institution(s) on identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input
- participate in drafting policy papers, campaign and communication materials
- prepare, organize, and facilitate trainings, seminars and other events including event organization, program development, input preparation and participant selection and outreach, among others
- participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach
- deal with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the activities within the working areas under his/her responsibilities.
- Project management: implementation, monitoring, reporting and administration
- provide technical guidance to the project team in Jakarta, consortium partners as well as pilot offices to ensure the project outputs are achieved in a timely manner.
- manage the team members and project resources under his/her area of responsibility.
- supports project implementation and management, including providing inputs to the annual workplan in close consultation with the consortium partners and project political partners.
- proactively provides recommendations for new activities on identified needs, concept development and strategy formulation.
- formulates terms of reference and supervises services provided by consultants.
- supports the organization of training sessions, seminars and other events including event organization, program development, input preparation and selection of participants.
- participates in monitoring of project progress, especially monitoring of the status of activities in his/her area of responsibility and keeps an organized documentation of the evidence sources and means of verification in relation to the activity progress.
- monitors project progress and the activities of his/her area of responsibilities, reviews reports and documents on the progress of joint programs, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the manager
- supports in project reporting, including but not limited to semi-annual and annual reports (to BMUV) and quarterly and annual report to Bappenas as well as compile relevant data and materials.
- supports the preparation of new projects and project concepts related to his/her field of expertise.
- Networking and cooperation
- works closely with the Directorate of Environment Affairs of Bappenas/relevant ministries as well as local stakeholders for implementing project activities.
- ensures coordination and regular communication with the project team in Jakarta and pilot areas as well as the consortium partners.
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, relevant organisations, non- governmental agencies and individuals in the project and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
- facilitates communication between national and local government interests and efforts,
- encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
- communicates regularly with other GIZ projects on specified topics related to biodiversity, blue carbon, gender, communication, and digitalization
- Knowledge management
- compiles information related to biodiversity/ marine biodiversity
- develops ready-to-use technical concepts and knowledge products, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- supports the formulation of reports and presentations related to the working areas under his/her responsibilities
- formulates relevant information, communication tools, as requested
- Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the superior
- shares proactively information about the project with other relevant projects and seeks synergies across activities
- Contribute to GIZ Indonesia’s internal coordination, communication and knowledge management structures, relevant working groups, team meetings, country planning, etc.,
- Contribute to the Resilient Nature Cluster by providing inputs to the thematic areas and supporting other projects in the cluster as requested by the superior
- Minimum master’s degree in marine sciences, Biodiversity/Conservation Management, Natural Resource Management, Biology, Environmental Sciences, Development Studies or other discipline related to the assignment.
- Studies or further studies on marine biodiversity would be preferred
- Practical knowledge in GIS is of advantage.
- minimum 10 years professional experience providing advisory service to government institutions (particular sectoral ministries/Bappenas) in topics related to environment, biodiversity, integrated land-and-sea-scape management, ecosystem approach or nature-based solution related to biodiversity and climate resilient
- proven experience on international, national, and local policies related to biodiversity conservation, climate resilient and sustainable development.
- a good understanding of government development planning and monitoring concepts and procedures (RPJMN/RPJMD)
- demonstrated knowledge and experience on the topic spatial planning (RTRW, RZWP3K, others)
- familiar with monitoring tools and systems related to biodiversity/climate resilience monitoring
- excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with government organizations
- proven experience in developing and facilitating capacity development programs, tools and training modules, ideally linked to biodiversity topics
- good access to networks in both public and private sectors in Indonesia regarding biodiversity and climate resilience issues is an advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences
- very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (e.g. MS Office)
- excellent written and oral communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- experience in international cooperation and/or cooperation with German organizations
- willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed –corresponding measures are agreed with management
- strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills
- ability to work in an intercultural environment
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of Land and Seascape Solution for Indonesia (LASSO)
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to email@example.com by December 3rd, 2023, with subject line LASSO – Senior Marine Biodiversity Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.