J−PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM − FEBUI) seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Manager (RM) to develop and implement a systematic approach to providing such support and ensuring evaluations are feasible, well−implemented, and high−quality. Initially, this support will focus on projects we’ve funded.
The Research Manager will lead a needs assessment to determine what type and how much support is needed, design a process for determining projects to support, identify staffing needs, and provide support or manage the provision of support to selected projects. The Research Managers will report directly to the Associate Director of Research or Senior Research Manager, and will collaborate with Principal Investigators of several studies that are currently being developed and/or implemented in Indonesia. The Research Manager will be based in Jakarta, but can expect to travel to rural and urban project sites across Indonesia (subject to Covid−19 restrictions).
In addition to providing an opportunity to gain experience developing expertise in randomized evaluation design and implementation, this position offers the opportunity to influence the shape and scope of research support provided by J−PAL Southeast Asia.
Research and Relationship management
- Directly oversee and provide mentoring to in−country Research Associates and their respective projects;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with researchers working on randomized evaluations in the Southeast Asia region;
- Collaborate with potential partners, J−PAL SEA management and PIs on the development, conceptual design and implementation of randomized evaluations;
- Contribute to building systems that facilitate good research practices by our affiliates, including data security and confidentiality, registering trials, making data sets public;
- Collaborate and supervise partnerships with the in−country survey company on conducting the implementation and data collection of randomized evaluations.
- Work with the J−PAL SEA management team and PIs to develop budgets and coordinate all aspects of grant submission to donors;
- Monitor anticipated and actual costs charged to project budgets, regularly communicate these to PIs, and identify and prevent potential overruns;
- Monitor and ensure the on−time fulfillment of deliverables by the survey company and payment process by J−PAL to the survey company in partnership.
Reporting and Communication
- Establish and maintain processes and systems for effective communication, including reporting, with Research Associates, PIs and J−PAL SEA management;
- Provide routine verbal and written updates on project activities to stakeholders, including PIs and J−PAL SEA management;
- Coordinate the preparation of summary reports and dissemination materials;
- Proactively identify and conduct, in coordination with J−PAL SEA management, outreach activities
- Support tasks that advance the mission of J−PAL SEA, including recruiting and onboarding, and mentoring junior staff, building external relationships and helping with conferences to spur new research collaborations and disseminate research results.
Education: Master’s degree (or higher) in Economics, Finance, Business, Development or related field. Well−qualified Bachelor’s candidates with significant related work experience will also be considered. Strong interest in international development policy as demonstrated by coursework and/or professional experience.
- Experience: 3 or more years of relevant experience in research and management.
- Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Time Management: Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision. A willingness to work hard, be self−motivated, and learn will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Willingness to travel: Position may require travel throughout the region (subject to Covid−19 restrictions) to meet with senior policymakers in government agencies, NGOs, foundations and international development organizations as well as follow−up work to promote research projects and other policy and capacity building initiatives.
- Strong leadership and relationship−building skills. Previous experience managing staff is required.
- Knowledge of Stata is strongly preferred. Knowledge of other data processing software is a plus.
- Academic research experience;
- Familiarity with experimental research design and varied data collection methods;
- Project management and financial management.
How to Apply
This position is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship.
Please send an email before March 31, 2023 to email@example.com with these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J−PAL SEA, Research Manager”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e−mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J−PAL SEA.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply at the earliest. Only short−listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.