The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the International Climate Initiative, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
As part of the Energy Programme, the German-Indonesian Energy Cooperation Hub (“Energy Hub”) is being implemented since April 2023. The Energy Hub aims to bundle all energy projects funded by Germany and implemented in Indonesia, with the objective to support portfolio development and strategy building, joint representation and communication. It shall further support coordination and identification of the German contribution to the Indonesian Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP).
The Hub connects to all GIZ energy projects, and further reaches out to energy projects implemented by other implementers, such as KfW, BGR and PTB, who receive funding from Germany. The Hub further works and serves the Indonesian political partners that are strategic partners for technical and financial cooperation projects. Anchored with the Direktorat Jenderal Energi Baru Terbarukan dan Konservasi Energi (DJ EBTKE) under the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR), the Hub further works with all energy related pollical partners of German cooperation, including Bappenas, the Ministry of Finance and PLN to name a few.
With its mandate to support German-Indonesian energy cooperation and the implementation of the JETP, the Energy Hub seeks one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for: Energy Transition Advisor (to be seconded to the political partner EBTKE).
The role is based at the EBTKE premises in Jakarta as part of Direktorat Aneka EBT team, and will work directly with EBTKE in support of their mandate to upscale renewable energy, decarbonize the energy sector, and implement the JETP.
The role will further be connected to the GIZ Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN (EP), and act as liaison between EBTKE and the Energy Hub Team.
Provision of Energy Expertise to foster Indonesia’s Energy Transition
As part of the EBTKE team:
- Support to collect other countries’ best practices related to the energy transitions (technical, financial, regulatory aspect)
- Provide energy sector expertise for Indonesia’s energy transition to support EBTKE
- Provide brief study, analysis, technical studies on topics related to the energy transition (coal phase out, captive power plants, renewable energy, efficiency, Hydrogen, decarbonization of demand sector, carbon trading, etc.)
Support EBTKE in the implementation of the JETP
- Assist in identifying, analyzing, and evaluating renewable energy projects or potential alternatives to replace coal-fired power plants (PLTU).
- Analyze and assess the planning, policies, and implementation constraints of the Energy Transition Roadmap (JETP).
- Develop strategic plans, including concrete steps, for the effective implementation of JETP.
- Facilitate collaboration and partnerships among relevant stakeholders.
- Design and implement renewable energy projects aligned with the JETP.
- Advocate for the formulation of energy transition policies.
- Identify and provide input on managing risks associated with the energy transition.
- Assist in sourcing funding and investments to support projects under the JETP.
- Monitor project progress, analyze achievements, and evaluate the impacts of energy transition initiatives.
Support EBTKE and GIZ Energy Hub / Programme
- Support liaison between EBTKE and the Energy Hub Team / Energy Programme
- Coordinate with the Energy Hub to plan and steer technical studies and workshops to be supported by GIZ Energy Hub and other projects under the joint GIZ-EBTKE cooperation portfolio
- Coordinate with the Energy Hub team and other projects jointly implemented between GIZ and EBTKE for GIZ support to EBTKE activities in the context of the JETP as well as planning future cooperation
- Support EBTKEs cooperation with GIZ for major events such as the RE Day, Indonesia Sustainable Energy Week), delegation trips to Germany/abroad, expert exchange meetings and policy dialogues between Germany and Indonesia
- Liaise between EBTKE and the Energy Hub on EBTKE requests and suggestions on relevant knowledge products showcasing the impact and successes of German-Indonesian Energy cooperation under the auspices of EBTKE
- Provide review of such knowledge products prepared by other energy projects under the Hub
Other duties/additional tasks
- Contributes actively to a good working climate and team working within the project and across the GIZ energy programme
- Shares proactively information about the project with other relevant GIZ projects, seeks synergies, and follows a cooperative approach across the larger GIZ energy programme
- Assist other experts – including consultants – and performs additional duties at the request of the Project Manager, the Senior Liaison Officer, or other Senior Advisors
- Bachelor/Masters (B/MSc; B/MA) in energy, climate, sustainable development, environment, or any area that is related to the project objectives
- at least 6 (six) years professional experience in the sustainable energy sector, preferably related to policy making
- at least 5 (five) years professional experience in/with and/or providing technical assistance to governmental and/or regional/ international implementing organizations in the field of sustainable energy
- previous experience in preparing and implementing events and capacity development measures (conference, delegation trips, trainings, dialogues, etc.) is an asset;
- previous experience working with/for MEMR and or other Energy Hub relevant government institutions is an asset,
- good understanding of policy-making processes within the Government of Indonesia is an asset
- previous professional experience abroad, including Germany, US, Japan, Europe, US and/or UN Agency is an asset;
- excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge about sustainable energy including the global discourse about the energy transition, overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes
- Very good knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed
- Strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills in multicultural context
- International experience, ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Willingness to travel (abroad, Germany) when required
- Proactive approach, good communicator, ready to join a versatile team
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Team Lead Energy Hub, REEP2 – Secondment to EBTKE
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 10th, 2023 with subject line Energy Hub – ETA(EBTKE) Repost
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.