The Zoological Society of London is an international wildlife conservation organization with a focus on science-based and pragmatic solutions. ZSL has been active in Indonesia for about 10 years, with a particular focus on the overlap between industrial development and biodiversity conservation. ZSL’s Indonesia is based in Bogor, West Java, with existing field projects in Jambi and South Sumatera.We are now looking for:
Remote Sensing Expert Consultant
I. Position Information
Title : Remote Sensing Expert Consultant
Department/Unit : Tiger Conservation
Reports to : Tiger Conservation Project Manager
Duty Station : Home base Work
Duration of Assignment : August – September 2017
II. Scope of work
1. Procure annual Landsat satellite imagery for 3 tiles spanning from path/row 124-61, 124-62, and 125-61 for the years 2015 -2016 (before and after the forest fires)
2. Geo-correct and radio-metrically correct procured satellite imagery
3. Produce an accurate baseline forest cover map for the 2015-2016 period (before and after the forest fires), for which the classification algorithm used is verified using a ground truth surveying (either previously collected field data or high resolution satellite imagery). Adjust the algorithm as required, which has previously been carried out the determination of ground-truth point based on Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool (SMART)
4. Process all satellite images using the classification algorithm; Based on the SNI of the Ministry of Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia
5. Analysis of deforestation rates between 2015-2016 (before and after the forest fires)
III. Deliverables/Final Products Expected
Data to be provided to ZSL
a. All satellite imagery obtained for the assignment.
b. Gridded datasets of forest cover for the years 2015 -2016 (before and after the forest fires)
c. Capacity building of a staff from Jambi Team to derive the assessing the spatial and temporal patterns of forest cover change
d. All shapefiles and or raster datasets for overall activity.
e. Draft summary report describing the initial findings, based on a complete analysis of all BSNP sites
f. Final report (covering in detail the remote sensing and GIS methods used, spatio-temporal results and their meaning)
IV. Recruitment Qualifications
The Consultant should have the following qualifications
a. Minimal education level: Postgraduate Degree (Masters) in geography, remote sensing, environmental sciences or related subject.
b. Previous experience (minimum 5 years) in using remote sensing and GIS software, with an emphasis on satellite image processing, and spatio-temporal data analysis and modeling techniques.
c. Proficiency in RS-GIS software, such as ENVI, eCognition, ArcGIS.
d. Proven track record in developing high quality environmental science/remote sensing.