The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The regional programme ‘Sustainable Use of Peatland and Haze Mitigation in ASEAN’ (SUPA) is co-financed by the EU and the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The initiative promotes sustainable use of peatlands and haze mitigation across ASEAN and consists of two components, both contributing to the achievement of the specific objective of the project from two different approaches: governmental as well as non-state actors led activities.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of SUPA Component 1. The specific goal of Component 1 is to strengthen ASEAN and the AMS to implement the ‘ASEAN Peatland Management Strategy’ (APMS) and National Action Plans on Peatlands (NAPPs). With a focus on ‘peatland governance’ and state actors in the AMS the implementation of this component is structured into three work areas:
• Work Area 1: Strengthening regional cooperation by strengthening the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
• Work Area 2: Specific Support to ASEAN Member States (AMS) for the implementation of ASEAN Peatland Management Strategy (APMS) and National Action Plans on Peatlands (NAPPs)
• Work Area 3: Generating Pilot Experiences from Indonesia and Malaysia
GIZ seeks a regional candidate (Citizen of ASEAN Member State) for this following position.
The Regional Advisor is a qualified individual with experience working with Southeast Asian Countries and their Association (ASEAN) on issues related to natural resource management, capacity- and policy development. Experience in management of peatlands and/or wetlands would be an advantage.
Main responsibilities are:
• Ensure close collaboration with ASEAN Secretariat and ASEAN Member States, facilitate dialogues and external communication and support the ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC) on process and policy development.
• Support the development of the ASEAN Peatland Management Strategy (APMS) 2020-2030.
• Support the implementation of the APMS by providing assistance:
to AMS related to national Peatland Governance,
in the design, preparation and management of national measures supported by SUPA to AMS agencies,
to AMS/grant recipients for the effective implementation of national measures supported by SUPA grants.
• Support the development of a capacity development strategy and its implementation in focusing on strengthening individual and institutional capacities.
• Coordinate project related knowledge management and M&E activities, while ensuring that lessons learnt are incorporated in project development and implementation, and shared with stakeholders;
• Support dissemination of replicable methods for the sustainable management of tropical peatlands and their integration into strategies at regional and national level.
• Coordinate planning for events, meetings, conferences, and presentations.
• Support close communication with PSC members and AMS.
• Coordinate and prepare project work plans related to work area 1 and 2.
• Track progress of the project and prepare periodic progress reports.
• Support the achievement of deliverables of the project, including supervision of consultancies.
• Advanced degree in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, Environmental Studies, or any appropriate related field.
• Fluent written and spoken English, knowledge of regional languages, especially those of ASEAN countries.
• Minimum 10 years of experience with administering and managing projects, in particular with international organizations and donors including large-scale projects that require coordination with various partners.
• Experience with/in
o in natural resource management especially, in the ASEAN region
o policy advice, project development and implementation of environmental projects,
o capacity building of local partners and providing assistance on interventions focusing on environmental management
• Demonstrated skills in problem solving, planning and the development of policies and procedures.
• Familiarity with natural resource-based business development and operations, plantation management, public and private sector finance and investment (blending); empirical socio-economic research.
• Knowledge of peatland ecosystems and familiarity with peatland restoration and management technologies and relevant international best-practices would be an advantage
• Willing to travel in AMS (ASEAN Member State) countries.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
• Strong knowledge of results-based management principles and approaches;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills;
• Excellent time management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently
• Strong team building and networking qualities.
• Willingness to learn and/or improve skills as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of Sustainable Use of Peatland and Haze Mitigation in ASEAN (SUPA) programme
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 14th, 2019 with subject line SUPA – RA.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified