Post Title : Disaster Management (DM) Coordinator for American Red Cross
Post Level : Coordinator Level – K (based on experience)
Contract Duration : 12 months with possibility of extension
Base of assignment : Jakarta with up to 50% travel required
Reports to : Country Representative (CR) Indonesia, Timor Leste and Pacific
The American Red Cross helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises through mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. We are a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
Currently the American Red Cross has several disaster preparedness and organizational development programs funded through USAID/OFDA and private philanthropies in Indonesia and Micronesia and expects to open new programming in Timor-Leste. We are exploring other growth opportunities in our current countries of operation. The American Red Cross collaborates with the Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) and Micronesia Red Cross (MRCS) who are our local implementing partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Representation and Program Development
- Develop strategies and program initiatives in collaboration with PMI, MRCS, AmCross, donors and partners;
- Provide extensive input and technical support to project proposals and program design;
- Coordinate effectively with PMI, MRCS, AmCross management, partners and technical sector colleagues and consultants;
- Represent AmCross on behalf of the CR at internal and external meetings, technical and coordination meetings, ceremonies and Red Cross Red Crescent functions;
- Network and establish functional relationships with key stakeholders, government agencies, NGOs, and colleagues movement-wide;
- Present AmCross activities and or carry out discussions on behalf of AmCross when required;
- Support the CR with the preparation of program documentation, assessments and studies as required;
- Participate in senior management group meetings to ensure the CR and other staff are updated on key program and operation issues and support needs;
- Support the CR to institutionalize Disaster Management guidelines and policies as developed by AmCross, Movement and external entities as the UN and local authorities;
- Responsible for overseeing all AmCross DM projects and staff;
- Provide inputs as required to strategic planning process, achievement of activity targets and required modification of program objectives
- Ensure quality project management skills are applied to all aspects of funded initiatives that includes, but not limited to, applying best practices in program design; monitoring of project implementation; ensuring financial compliance with good budget management; ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation; and timely reporting and relevant analysis;
- Responsible for decision-making in overall project implementation, particularly related to budget and implementation issues;
- Ensure the terms of project agreements are complied with by all partners;
- Effectively implement initiatives with PMI and MRCS by complementing their existing capacities and providing directed oversite and support where needed;
- Identify and develop AmCross and partner capacity building requirements;
- Provide periodic, accurate, and professional (narrative and financial) progress reports to management and other stakeholders as required;
- Ensure professional administrative and logistics support is given to the AmCross programs;
- Keep abreast of disaster management and preparedness issues, knowledge and tools, as well as climate change initiatives, find ways to incorporate such initiatives where relevant to programs;
- Document and share lessons learned with AmCross, IFRC, PMI and partners as necessary;
- Contribute to knowledge sharing, producing documentation for case studies and lessons learned;
- Conduct field visits to project sites on a regular basis for monitoring, provision of hands-on support and quality assurance;
- Support access to reference materials, promote on-line training resources, co-facilitating technical trainings and delivering technical presentations during training events and other meetings.
- Directly manage two (2) Disaster Management Project Managers and support, as needed, Micronesia based Disaster Management Program Delegate;
- Ensure staff are oriented on program strategies, expectations, and own roles and responsibilities;
- Ensure all staff have the competencies and support to effectively complete own objectives and tasks as well as provide technical support to PMI;
- Supervise and coach staff and promote a learning environment;
- Be mindful of staff wellness and induce a culture of transparency, problem solving, and teamwork;
- Identify and select appropriate skills development opportunities that would enhance staff capacity.
- A degree preferably from a reputable accredited university in Social Science, Disaster Management, Environmental Protection and/or relevant field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred;
- At least 7 years’ progressive management experience working as a professional in the Disaster Management field particularly community resiliency and community based DRR, at least 5 years of which should be in Indonesia;
- Experience studying, training and working outside of Indonesia preferred;
- 7 years plus experience with program design and project management; ability to design and manage all stages of disaster risk mitigation, preparedness, recovery and rehabilitation projects;
- Demonstrated success in proposal writing and securing funding and analytical report writing;
- Experience identifying and establishing institutional capacity building initiatives, particularly for local partner organizations;
- Experience collaborating with government agencies, international organizations and working through local implementing partners;
- Excellent skills in budgeting and financial management, problem solving, conflict resolution, advocacy, and stakeholder coordination;
- Experience in donor/partners relationship management. Must have experience with USAID or USAID/OFDA funded projects;
- Proven field work experience in disaster response operations or similar contexts.
- Fluent in English and Indonesian (written and spoken) required.
- Advanced computers skills (Windows, Spreadsheets, Word Processing);
- Understanding of and/or experienced with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement preferred
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae in English no later than June 20th, 2018 to email@example.com . Place the job title in the subject line and include your name in all application files. Include in your application your monthly gross salary requirements in IDR and at least 3 references.