NZMATES – Programme Summary
The New Zealand – Maluku Access to Renewable Energy Support (NZMATES) programme aims to accelerate renewable energy (RE) development to improve access to energy on Seram and surrounding islands in Maluku province. The five-year programme is funded by the New Zealand Government Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and is implemented by renewable energy company Infratec Ltd. in partnership with Mercy Corps Indonesia. NZMATES is working towards promoting and accelerating the identification of renewable energy projects and increasing their attractiveness and viability, social and environmental assessments, technical considerations, and triggering and facilitating investment and funding from government, private sector, or other donors. NZMATES has partnered with and collaborates closely with PLN, EBTKE, Dinas ESDM, and BAPPEDA on increasing the use of renewables and improving energy access through grid-connected and off-grid RE projects.
The NZMATES Team is based in Ambon and provides support to fill gaps in knowledge, resources, and research, and ensure that projects are aligned with the Government of Indonesia and with community development objectives. The proposed support for RE projects includes assistance with project identification and appraisal, technical and social assessments, finance matching, and project design to strengthen long-term sustainability. NZMATES also intends to enhance local public and private sector capacity and offer opportunities for direct training, technical exchange programmes, and interaction between Maluku educational institutions and NZ renewable energy specialists.
NZMATES is a uniquely flexible program which is designed to respond to the needs and priorities of partner organizations and changing realities on the ground. Work plans and program activities are not pre-defined but are developed collaboratively with partners through a 6-monthly planning cycle.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Daily management of the finance officer(s) and the assistant finance officer;
- Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer;
- Manage the month-end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub journals and all supporting documentation in all country offices;
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including setting up and maintenance of the new project accounts, regular back-up of files, etc;
- Review sub journals and upload data to the general ledger;
- Prepare revenue recognition entries and another final closing journal entries;
- Enter, post and maintain filing of monthly journal entries;
- Prepare month-end balance sheet account reconciliations;
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ;
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded;
- Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc;
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ;
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Responsible for the reception, answer telephone calls, receive and register incoming mail, and welcome visitors;
- Ensure visitors and staff traveling to the field are aware of and respect security policies, especially with regards to life jackets and boat travel and no travel out of town after dark;
- Organize YMCI operating license renewal with local government when needed, and related tasks;
- Managing rental of office and ex-pat housing as well as utility management for these premises;
- Ensure telephone and internet access for all staff;
- Manage office supplies;
- Supervise office security guards and manage their rotation schedule;
- Supervise office cleaner;
- Maintain a filing system of admin-related documentation;
- Provide administration support to the Programme Manager, Assistant Manager, and Project Officers;
- Responsible for office maintenance and general upkeep of facilities;
- Supervise cleaning and security staff, engage and identify any tasks or support services from staff;
- Maintain an inventory of stationaries and make sure to have the necessary office supplies.
- Manage the use and maintenance of MCI cars and motorbikes, ensuring they meet MCI operational and safety standards;
- Track vehicle use and fuel consumption;
- Ensure MCI vehicles have required insurance and other paperwork in order;
- Organize rental of cars as needed, ensuring that rented cars meet MCI operational and safety standards;
- Ensure that both MCI and rental drivers meet MCI standards with regards to following traffic regulations and MCI security policy (e.g. no driving out of town after dark);
- Supervise MCI drivers and manage their work schedule;
- Ensure good use and maintenance of IT assets, including modem, computers, printers, satellite phones, etc;
- Maintain assets register for the Ambon office.
- University Degree, technical degree, or equivalent experience in finance, admin, business or similar field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in financial management, administration and/or related fields in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred;
- Experience working in socio-economic development, energy access or environment sector preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Experience working in Maluku province, especially remote areas, and understanding of local context;
- Strong communications skills, networking, and experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Experience engaging, networking, and communicating with government officials;
- Strong familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Willingness to travel occasionally to field locations on Seram Island to scope site locations;
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software;
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel;
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
The vacancy will be closed 30 June 2020 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.
Human Resources Department
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia