The Forests and Climate Change Program (FORCLIME) supports the Government of Indonesia in its endeavour to mitigate the effects of climate change through forestry sector reform, capacity development and implementation of best management practices for sustainable forest management and biodiversity conservation. Field-based activities are being supported in selected districts of the provinces of Papua, West Papua and Central Sulawesi to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (“REDD” activities) and develop a forest-based bioeconomy. FORCLIME is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ (German International Cooperation) with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry as the Program Executing Agency.
The Programme’s overall objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forest sector while improving the livelihoods of Indonesia’s poor rural communities in Eastern Indonesia. To achieve this goal, the Programme team assists the Indonesian Government and provincial authorities in designing and implementing legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation and sustainable management of forests, at local, provincial and national level. Support to mobilize climate finance for forest resource management are a feature of the programme, providing decision-makers with experience of how REDD can be implemented “on the ground”.
The Provincial Coordinator Papua and Technical Advisor on Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) will fulfil a key role in the project team and will contribute to the overall objectives of the FORCLIME programme. The incumbent will be accountable to FORCLIME 4.0 for the overall coordination of the project activities at the provincial level; for the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the services provided and the activities carried out. The incumbent will directly work with the provincial project teams, in providing coordination and support to project planning, implementation and monitoring at the provincial levels. She/He will be the focal point for communication to the participating partners, national organizations, and others concerning the implementation of the project at the sub-national level.
Within this context, She/He will engage in supporting Strategic Area Manager (SAM) activities within the forestry administration reform and climate change related policy, Forest Management Unit (FMU), community forestry, NTFP development, and human capacity development in Papua Barat Province. The position is based in Jayapura and focuses on local level implementation and coordination on provincial level and in the pilot districts–Jayapura and Merauke.
These responsibilities include:
- In close coordination with Strategic Area Manager and Papua Coordination, manage activities to the achievement of programme objectives under FORCLIME strategic area “Policy”, FORCLIME strategic area “FMU” and FORCLIME strategic area “HCD”.
- Advice and support the Provincial Forestry Services/project partner in (1) strategic planning processes and establishing a legal and political framework for community-based forest management; (2) harmonization of national environmental and forest legislation with the special legal status of the provinces of Papua Barat; (3) the implementation of national and regional regulations (e.g. on climate protection through forest conservation (REDD+), biosphere reserves, regional nature conservation initiatives.
- Advice and facilitate the Provincial Forestry Services/project partner on new financing mechanisms for forest conservation/climate protection (REDD+, Green Climate Fund (GCF) Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS), ecological fiscal compensation, etc.).
- Advice and support partner cooperatives on the development of the legal framework for market access for sustainable forest products/Benefit Sharing Mechanism. This includes the marketing of forest and non-timber products (e.g. medicinal plants, coffee, cocoa, ecotourism)
- Advice and facilitate FMUs on the development of data bases (forest inventory, socio-economic data) and on the development of management and business plans.
- Advice and facilitate partners cooperatives on participatory zoning in FMUs and protected areas, taking into account the indigenous (Adat) communities.
- Advice and facilitate the partner on cooperation between national and international universities, research institutions and regional and local Forestry Services.
- Advice and facilitate partner cooperatives on dialogue between traditional (Adat) communities and FMUs and the implementation of social forestry.
- Supervise the implementation of financing agreement (local subsidy) with local institutions, consultants, grantees, interns and NGOs di Papua Barat region.
- Reporting and documentation of project results as well as review other documents concerning the progress of collaborative programs to the Strategic Area Manager.
- Management & Coordination
- Supports the management and administration of FORCLIME Programme activities in Papua Barat in adherence to GIZ policies and procedures.
- Ensure the FORCLIME Programme activities in Papua Barat are coordinated for effective implementation of the project.
- Represent the project particularly for the stakeholders at the provincial and district level to do policy advice on highest level.
- Coordinate, supervise and contribute to the preparation and implementation of project activities in line with strategic and annual working plan.
- Coordinate joint activities and other technical cooperation related FORCLIME Strategic Area and other relevant partner institutions in the region.
- Coordinate activities supported and implemented by international and national consultants work at the provincial levels.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in coordinating and conducting evaluation the results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation at the provincial, district, and community levels.
- Contribute to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports to supports M&E of FORCLIME activities.
- Lead the junior advisor in preparing the budget and activity plan and in monitoring the implementation of events and consultants or grantees at district level.
- Professional advisory services
- Advise partner institutions on order identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provide technical input related to the improvement of forest policy processes such as KPH development, Hutan Adat/social forestry, NTFP development and REDD+.
- Contribute to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/program activities in ensuring the evolvement of FMU development, Hutan Adat/Social Forestry and NTFP development.
- Deal with the design (term of references), preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the overall objectives of the FORCLIME programme/activities, including performance evaluation.
- Develop and organizes quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives related to the participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation processes involving local communities and develops concepts for public service provision for local communities under the evolving KPH System.
- Participate in identifying needs for capacity development (including system/policy level, organizational and individual level) at the provincial level and in districts in line with programme objectives.
- Providing support and technical assistance for the capacity building on budget planning and monitoring of budget lines and expenditures at the province and district level
- Develops networks with local governments, local NGOs, villages and other stakeholders to support FMU development, Hutan Adat/Social Forestry, NTFP and environmental services.
- Providing support and technical assistance for updating of FORCLIME strategic action plans, operational plans and annual work plans according to work progress, requirements of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry as well as provincial authorities (keeping in mind the special autonomy of Western Papua) and developments in the Indonesian forestry sector
- Contribute to continuous synchronization of FORCLIME Intervention strategic area “Policy” and FORCLIME strategic area “FMU” and FORCLIME strategic area “HCD”.
- Assist in project activities at the provincial level related to gender mainstreaming considerations.
- Assist the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and Papua Coordinator in planning and coordinating project monitoring and evaluation.
- Networking and cooperation
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
- Establish network of contacts (NGO, Academia, civil society) in the provinces of Papua Barat and maintain communication and inform them on working progress of FORCLIME activities.
- Communicates and channel local interests and efforts from Papua Barat, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of FORCLIME.
- Coordinates and supports activities of other GIZ projects especially APCC.
- Liaises with staff and implementers of other donors activities in Western Papua and identifies cooperation areas.
- Supports project leader in smooth partner relations.
- Knowledge management
- Compiles relevant information on the topic of forestry and ensures knowledge transfer including lessons learned documentation
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Monitors and coaches the implementation of the M and E System on local level.
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Assists with research activities and studies on forest policy issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Facilitate exchange and identify potential cooperation with other FORCLIME project site in Palu/West Kalimantan, other GIZ projects in Papua Barat (APCC) and government partners (MITRA BANGHUT) on the utilization of data and information of project-related activities.
- Prepare documentation materials such as photos and video footages for project-related activities.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Undertakes frequent visits to the field activities in project sites to ensure FORCLIME partner activities are proceeding as planned (in accordance with GIZ requirements).
- Supports the provision of logistics for FORCLIME staff and visitors.
- Accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips.
- Stay abreast of developments in global and Indonesian approaches for forest and climate change issues, as well as Hutan Adat and special autonomy of Papua.
- Subject to discussions with the project leader, advisor may be allocated for additional tasks and other duties for shorter periods.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in forestry/Natural Resource Management or other relevant academic fields.
- Experience in forestry, community development and REDD+.
- Experience in FMU development.
- Women are encourage to apply for this position.
- Persons with a residence in tanah Papua are preferred candidates.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience on work related to forestry/natural resource management, and Masyarakat Hukum Adat/social/anthropology.
- Existing working relations with Tanah Papua.
- A minimum of 3 (three) years professional experiences in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong managerial and organisational competence;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- Good Knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia;
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- Intimate local knowledge about Western Papua
- Good facilitation skills and communication skills;
- Able to work independently and with limited resources or support.
Duty Station: Manokwari
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Strategic Area Manager 2 (Papua Coordinator)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on January 22th, 2021.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: FORCLIME 4.0 – PC Papua Barat
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.