Indonesia’s impressive socio-economic development over the past two decades has brought with it a substantial negative impact on the environment. The continuing lack of urban infrastructure leads to widespread congestion, excessive pressure on electricity and water supplies and causes significant environmental impacts and further increased of emissions due to pollution in urban areas. The profound need for further policy reforms and increased investment in urban infrastructure to improve the provision of public services, reduce pollution and reduce CO2 emissions will be medium-term development plan for the years 2020-2024.
Against this background, the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the Indonesian Ministry for National Development Planning (Bappenas) agreed to launch the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative in the framework of the bilateral government negotiations on 01.and 02. 10.2019. As part of the initiative, an additional EUR 2.5 billion will be made available for subsidized loans via the German Development Bank KfW for investments to promote environment- and/or climate-relevant infrastructure in Indonesia (Urban Public Transport, Solid Waste Management, Water and Wastewater Management).. GIZ has been commissioned by BMZ with the implementation of the project Green Infrastructure Development (GID) as a Technical Cooperation assignment complimentary to the Financial Cooperation. In this context, the project aims to strengthen the Indonesian Government’s approach to the coherent identification and development of investment projects in the fields of support for the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative.
To this end, the planning agencies of selected provincial governments, under the coordination of Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) and the Committee for the Acceleration of Priority Infrastructure Delivery (KPPIP) under Coordinating Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Investment (CMMAI) and the Coordinating Ministry of Economic Affairs (CMEA), in close coordination with key infrastructure financing institutions, will be supported in project development and implementation in the areas of future-oriented, climate-friendly transport turnaround, implementation of the national waste and marine waste strategy as well as in the area of climate and environmental protection in municipal of urban infrastructure.
The first stage of implementation will take place at the following provinces that have been selected by the Steering Committee namely West Java, Central Java, East Java and Bali.
To ensure smooth implementation of the Green Infrastructure Development (GID), GIZ will recruit 1 (one) qualified Indonesian candidates for the following position: Provincial Advisor East Java
The Provincial Advisor will have important roles in ensuring smooth coordination with stakeholders at provincial level; for the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the services provided and the activities carried out. The incumbent is expected to work closely among others with Provincial, Regency, and Municipal Governments, relevant agencies at sub-national level such as Development Planning Agency, Public Works and Housing Agency, Transport Agency, and Environment and Forestry Agency as well as business and private sector, academia and civil society stakeholders. The position is envisioned to be in Surabaya, respectively, with necessary travels within the respective province.
The responsibilities include:
- In close coordination with the GIZ and CMMAI GID project team in Jakarta, she/he will serve as the focal point for communication to the participating partners, national organizations, and other stakeholders concerning the GID project implementation in the respective province.
- Engage and maintain positive and effective working relationships with key officials and policy makers at the provincial, regency, and municipal levels.
- Support the development of provincial level work plans and, upon approval, manage and support implementation and monitoring of activity.
- Understand the key operational challenges of the project at the provincial and local levels and apply this understanding to ensure the development and implementation of a context-appropriate strategy in engaging with the stakeholders at provincial, regency, and municipal levels.
- Oversee the operations team and ensure operational support to events and activities implemented at the provincial, regency, and municipal levels.
- Management & Coordination
- Ensure effective implementation of all GID-activities in East Java respectively.
- Represent the GID project to provide policy advice particularly for the stakeholders at the provincial, regency, and municipal levels.
- Coordinate, supervise, and contribute to the preparation and implementation of GIZ-supported project activities in line with strategic and annual working plan.
- Coordinate joint activities and other technical cooperation related to outputs and other relevant partner institutions.
- Coordinate activities supported and implemented by international and national consultants and facilitates the integration of the consulting teams in the provincial and local partner structures
- Support the Results-Based Monitoring Advisor in coordinating and conducting evaluation the results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation.
- Contribute to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports on all GID activities.
- Support the GIZ and CMMAI GID Team in Jakarta in preparing the budget and activity plan and in monitoring the implementation of events and consultant assignments.
- Professional advisory services
- Advise partner institutions in order identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provide technical inputs related to GID.
- Contribute to prepare and implement the coordination process, joint project activities to ensure the implementation of GID.
- Deal with the design (Term of References), preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the overall objectives of the GID project, including performance evaluation.
- Develop and organize quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives related to the participatory planning and monitoring processes involving relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in identifying needs as well as providing support and technical assistance for the Capacity Development in line with the project objectives.
- Develop contacts and networks with relevant parties at provincial, regency and municipal levels including but not limited to Development Planning Agency, Public Works and Housing Agency, Transport Agency, and Environment and Forestry Agency as well as business and private sector, academia and relevant civil society stakeholders.
- Providing support and technical assistance for updating the GID Plan of Operations and Capacity Development Strategy, including the contributions by the involved partner organizations.
- Contribute to continuous synchronization of GID interventions in the fields of Solid Waste Management, Urban Water Management and Urban Public Transport.
- Assist gender mainstreaming in GID activities at the provincial, regency, and municipal levels.
- Assist the Results-Based Monitoring of the GID.
- Networking and cooperation
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners; and cooperates with provincial, regency, and municipal governments including but not limited Development Planning Agency, Public Works and Housing Agency, Transport Agency, and Environment and Forestry Agency as well as business and private sector, academia and civil society stakeholders in the Green Infrastructure environment.
- Communicates and channels local interests and efforts from the relevant stakeholders as well as encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the Green Infrastructure Initiative.
- Supports the Principal and Senior Advisors to ensure smooth cooperation with partners.
- Knowledge management
- Compiles relevant information on the topic of Solid Waste Management, Urban Water Management and Urban Public Transport and ensures knowledge transfer including lessons learned documentation.
- Contributes to the development of technical concepts, guidelines, manuals, and procedures.
- Monitors the implementation of the Results-Based Monitoring System.
- Draws up reports and presentation materials.
- Assists data and information collection on Solid Waste Management, Urban Water Management and Urban Public Transport.
- Prepare documentation materials such as photos and video footages for project-related activities.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at request of the GID Team.
- Undertakes frequent visits to the fields.
- Supports the provision of logistics for the GIZ and CMMAI GID Team and relevant stakeholders.
- Accompanies and guides relevant stakeholders in connection with field trips.
- Stay abreast of developments in global and Indonesian approaches for Solid Waste Management, Urban Water Management and Urban Public Transport.
- Subject to discussions with the Principal and Senior Advisors the Advisors may be assigned to additional tasks and other duties for certain periods.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Economics/Business, Social Science, Development Studies, Urban/Regional Development or other related academic fields.
- Professional working experience in the area of urban/community infrastructure development and profound knowledge of the regulatory and institutional setup in Indonesia.
- Substantial working experience in development organisations (international and/or bilateral agencies, consultancies, development banks.
- Women are encouraged to apply for this position.
- A minimum of 5 (five) years professional experiences in relevant areas.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong managerial and organisational competency.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Good Knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Good facilitation skills and communication skills.
- Able to work independently and with limited resources or support.
Duty Station: Surabaya
Joining Date: ASAP
Direct Supervisor: Senior Advisor of GID
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to email@example.com by April 14th, 2022 with subject line GID – PA EJ please choose one of preference.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.