Simavi – A healthy life or all
Simavi is looking for an experienced an inspiring Project Officer
Good health is the basis of everything. It enables you to develop yourself socially and economically, take matters into your own hands and pursue your dreams. With good health, you can look after yourself and your family and lift yourself out of poverty. That is why Simavi works towards a healthy life for all. To achieve a healthy life for all we work to ensure that disadvantaged people, especially women and girls, in low- and middle-income countries practice healthy behaviours based on their own free and informed decisions.
Together with local communities, the private sector, knowledge institutes and governments we address Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) as well as the basic need for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)- because we believe that these are two crucial factors that determine good health and well-being. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We are a member of the Watershed Alliance, a member of the GUSO (Get Up Speak Out) Alliance, and take part in many more initiatives and alliances.
The Project Officer PROPOPI is responsible for the daily implementation of Simavi’s activities within the FDW-PROPOPI Project in Bandung, West Java – which is a joint project between PDAM Bandung, Vitens Evides International, TU Delft, and Simavi. The objective of the project is to provide access to drinking water to currently unconnected communities in the city of Bandung.
Simavi is responsible for the community participation component of this project, and to support the local government and PDAM as well as the low income consumers of PDAM using the approach of Water Safety Plan or Rencana Pengamanan Air Minum (RPAM) at consumer level as the entry point. The approach will also be related to Pillar 3 of STBM 5 Pillars approach.
The Project Officer PROPOPI reports to the Country Representative (CR) Indonesia based in Jakarta, supported by the Programme Officer based in the Netherlands. The Project Officer PROPOPI will work from the PROPOPI project office at PDAM Bandung and coordinates/collaborates with the other project partners’ staff assigned for this project.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
1. Project implementation
• Responsible for the daily implementation of Simavi’s activities within PROPOPI.
• Executes Simavi’s work according to plan in coordination with the other project partners, and adapt as necessary in consultation with the CR and PO.
• Manages Simavi’s local project budget.
• Organises workshops and other capacity building activities for local government, PDAM, and local Community-Based Organisations (CBOs) on RPAM and community mobilisation.
• Assists the CBOs and monitors their activities mobilising the communities.
• Monitors progress of the project on the basis of visits and discussions with relevant stakeholders.
• Ensures timely and quality reporting on the project to Simavi headquarters.
• Acts as the main point of contact for the partner organisations, Simavi Indonesia country office and headquarters in relation to PROPOPI.
2. Partnership management and external communication
• Maintains active and pro-active communication with the other project partners involved.
• Represents Simavi in workshops, meetings, or other events in Indonesia related to PROPOPI, together with the CR.
• Promotes PROPOPI Project in Indonesia whenever possible and relevant.
Knowledge and Experience
• Minimum of five years of relevant working experience in the field of community mobilisation or local development.
• Bachelor Degree in social development studies, environmental engineering, water resources management or other relevant fields.
• Practical experience in implementing community development and capacity building activities, preferably in the WASH or RPAM sectors.
• Practical experience with and knowledge of managing a project budget.
• Practical experience in working with local government institutions.
• Practical experience in working with a consortium of project implementing partners.
• Sound knowledge of the current developments, research, best practices and policy direction in the Indonesian WASH sector, and especially in the areas of STBM, RPAM, hygiene promotion, environmental programming, drinking water and programme integration with health and education.
Skills and Competencies
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English as well as Bahasa Indonesia to convey complex and technical issues in a clear, concise manner. Ability in Sundanese is an advantage.
• Strong project management and organisational skills.
• Facilitation/training skills desirable.
• Confident to work independently and take initiative yet also able to work within a team.
• Ability to question and challenge people in a constructive manner, but also to work with diplomacy and creative problem solving techniques when interests and opinions differ.
• Pro-active attitude and is capable to operate in a flexible and pioneering environment.
• Comfortable in a wide range of cultural and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behaviour with a diverse range of people.
• Computer skills such as spreadsheet, e-mail, database management and word processing.
This is a local staff position and therefore for Indonesian nationals only.
Location and starting date
Based in: Bandung, Indonesia.
Preferred starting date: a.s.a.p.
What do we offer?
1 year contract (fulltime) with possible extension and good primary and secondary conditions. Gross monthly salary will be between IDR 15,000,000 and IDR 17,000,000 million Rp / month depending on qualifications of the selected candidate.
How to apply?