The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is globally headquartered within the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL Southeast Asia (J-PAL SEA) is one of seven independent regional offices based around the world hosted at local universities. J-PAL is a pioneer of using randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty.
J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economics and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI) is studying interventions that are specifically targeted to women to re-enter or enter the workforce after being away for a period of time. These interventions are aimed to address the skills mismatch, information frictions and childcare arrangement, which are postulated as the most persistent barriers preventing these women to participate in the labor market. J-PAL SEA is currently conducting a pilot randomized evaluation that includes a baseline and endline study to measure the effects of the interventions on enhancing women’s labor potential and work readiness.
J-PAL SEA seeks qualified applicants for Short-Term Consultant positions to support J-PAL SEA team in implementing and monitoring the intervention for this project.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research and promoting the use of evidence in policymaking. In collaboration with the respective team, the Short-Term Consultant will support the implementation and monitoring of the intervention for this project. A Jakarta-based Manager and Associate will guide and supervise the Short-Term Consultant in his/her various tasks.
The Short-Term Consultant is expected to work in DKI Jakarta as field visits to several areas in DKI Jakarta are necessary.
Main responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Support the Research Associate in the intervention preparation, including but not limited to monitoring pre-piloting activities, identifying areas for improvements, and conducting desk research,
- In coordination with the Associate, monitor the implementation of intervention as well as ensure that the activities meet the required standard and are aligned with the research design,
- In close coordination with the Associate, maintain effective communication and coordination between the research team and implementing partners.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences (International Relations, Politics, Communications, etc.), public policy, math, statistics, or related technical fields.
- Experience in project management or monitoring.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English.
- Proven management and organizational skills.
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience in conducting quantitative research.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with Randomized Control Trials (RCTs).
- Familiarity with monitoring activities related to training development & implementation, data collection, and production of information packages.
Note on Work Authorization: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before May 26, 2023 to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Short-Term Consultant”
Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, diploma, academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.