The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is globally headquartered within the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL is a pioneer of using randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL Southeast Asia (J-PAL SEA) is one of seven independent regional offices based around the world hosted at local universities. J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economics and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI) seeks qualified applicants for Short-Term Consultant positions to support J-PAL SEA team in developing and implementing research in Indonesia, disseminating research findings, and support research-related capacity building activities.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research and promoting the use of evidence in policymaking. In collaboration with the respective team, the Short-Term Consultant will support the development of new projects/initiatives and implementation of the project for which they are hired. A Jakarta-based Manager and Associate will guide and supervise the Short-Term Consultant in his/her various tasks.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to the team (Managers, Principal Investigators);
- Prepare project reports (project summaries, project journals, and meeting notes).
Short-Term Consultant – Policy, Training and Communications
The responsibilities of the Policy, Training and Communications Short-Term Consultant include, but not limited to:
- Assist the conduct of background research and exploratory studies on various socio-economic topics;
- Assist the development of materials for monitoring and evaluation workshops, including conducting preliminary research, modifying case studies from the global J-PAL knowledge base, and designing lecture decks;
- Assist in organizing meetings and coordination with partners;
- Coordinate with other J-PAL SEA’s staffs in hosting potential seminars, workshops, and training as a part of policy outreach and evidence dissemination;
- Support in writing materials that “translate” economic research and other J-PAL messages into policy outreach and communications, including reports, articles, op-eds, blogs, and evaluation;
- Assist in the development of materials for monitoring and evaluation workshops, including conducting preliminary research, modifying case studies from the global J-PAL knowledge base, and designing lecture decks;
- Assist in expanding our network of researchers and practitioners through monitoring of research paper publications.
Short-Term Consultant– Research
The responsibilities of the Research Short-Term Consultant include conducting early background research, ensuring activities are implemented with fidelity to the research, and dissemination of the research findings.
- Assist the team in designing questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercises;
- Support the team in maintaining relationships with partner organizations (e.g. donors, implementing partners, and survey firms);
- Help the team in implementing the field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with partners;
- Supervise data collection and data-entry and ensure the good quality of the data at each of these two stages;
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis;
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners.
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences (International Relations, Politics, Communications, etc), public policy, math, statistics or related technical fields.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa and English.
- Proven management and organizational skills.
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience in conducting qualitative research.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with RCTs.
- Sufficient knowledge on quantitative skills, including knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before July 30, 2021 to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Short-Term Consultant”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.