The Programme Specialist contributes to implementation of the UNFPA Indonesia Country Programme in Jakarta and is under the overall supervision of, reports directly to the Representative. S/He is part of an inter-disciplinary country team
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Specialist contributes to the implementation of the UNFPA Country Programme, in the context of the ICPD Programme of Action and UNFPA Strategic Plan as well as national development processes, frameworks and UN reform.
Key results expected of the Programme Specialist include:
- Assistance in advocacy and positioning of ICPD in national policy dialogue; and
- Support to resource mobilization efforts by the country office
The primary activities of the Programme Specialist are:
- Initiation and maintenance of Strategic Partnerships, Policy Advocacy Development and Implementation on ICPD
- Resource Mobilisation, including with new partners
- Knowledge Management
As the Strategic Partnerships/Resource Mobilization Programme Specialist, he/she will ensure support to the programme units for enhancing ICPD by working with relevant staff and coordinating across relevant programme units to ensure that the programme needs are met.
The Strategic Partnerships/Resource Mobilization Programme Analyst advances the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment responding to changing substantive priorities of Governments. The Strategic Partnerships/Resource Mobilization Programme Analyst facilitates and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society.
Internal contacts include the Representative, the Assistant Representative, the Policy/Advocacy Programme Analyst, the CO’s programme/technical team, other divisions/branches at HQ, the RO, and counterparts in other country offices. External contacts include strategic partners such as government, other UN agencies, NGOs, private sector, philanthropists, civil society, academic institutions and networks etc.
You would be responsible for:
STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS, POLICY AND ADVOCACY
- Support the CO in positioning of the ICPD Agenda, including in crisis and post crisis situations, through the identification, initiation, development and maintenance of strategic partnerships, including national, regional such as ASEAN, and global
- Support scanning of the national environment and its implications on UNFPA in the country with emphasis on ICPD and the relevant SDGs
- Assist in policy dialogue and advocacy with Government, parliamentarians, civil society, private sector, philanthropists, academic institutions to further the advancement of ICPD and the SDGs
- Engage in networks and partnerships building at the national, and subnational where relevant, level around issues of UNFPA’s mandate for the achievement of the SDGs, including partnerships for blended financing
- Develop, regularly update and coordinate implementation of the Country Office Resource Mobilization Strategy
- Monitor the programme cycle and implementation of country programmes in the areas of advocacy, resource allocation and utilization and identify the need for resource mobilization in the various programmes of the CPAP
- Undertake mapping of the country for potential strategic partners and identify opportunities for resource mobilization and co-financing;
- Liaise with donors at the national level
- Develop proposals with National Programme Officers in areas of potential partnerships
- Liaise with Resource Mobilization Branch on the issues of resource mobilization and donor reporting, reviews and comments as necessary on co-financing Agreements, proposals and reports to ensure quality and compliance with UNFPA procedures and donor requirements
- Work closely with Humanitarian Programme Analyst on mobilizing necessary funds during humanitarian crises, including providing inputs to Inter-agency Country Consolidated Appeals,
- Foster innovation for an open exchange of state-of-the-art programmatic innovations in partnership with relevant CO Programme/Technical Specialists:
- Contribute to CO identification and assessment of innovation in each technical and programme area;
- Oversee and coordinate knowledge management, including repository of knowledge products, across the office and liaise with Knowledge Management/Sharing staff in the APRO and HQ Programme Division.
- Support identification of opportunities or lessons learned/best practices
- Consolidate CO documentation on lessons learned/best practices and ensure that these are incorporated into the UNFPA knowledge sharing system;
- Liaise with APRO to ensure that state-of-the-art, global technical and programming knowledge and lessons learned/best practices are available for use to improve the effectiveness of UNFPA programmes;
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Representative.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in international relations, Public Health, Journalism, Media and/or communications, sociology, demography, gender, economics, international development, public administration, management or other related field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of development and policy relevant to population and development, sexual and reproductive health, youth and gender
- Substantive knowledge on ICPD i.e. population and development, sexual and reproductive health, youth and gender
- Experience in programme/ project management including experience in large multi-sector projects, designing and appraising proposals and actively liaising with relevant and potential project partners;
- Experience in building strategic partnerships and resource mobilization
- Experience in programme and/or technical assistance with the UN System
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required
Other Desirable Skills:
Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical abilities, sound judgment, liaison skills, negotiation skills, administrative and management skills, strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Providing conceptual innovation to enhance/strengthen programme effectiveness
- Generating, Managing and Promoting the use of knowledge and Information
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
UNFPA Work Environment:
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.