The Programme Specialist oversees project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. You will lead the programme team and collaborate with the Country Office’s operations and administrative support staff.
You will be under the overall guidance of the Director and Representative, and the direct supervision of the Assistant Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Specialist advances the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment responding to changing substantive priorities of Governments. The Programme Specialist facilitates and coordinates technical advisers and experts and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies and civil society. S/he contributes to UN systems coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint common system initiatives.
The Programme Specialist oversees the work of the programme team as well as consultants, advisors, and experts and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. S/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate.
Internal contacts include the Representative, Assistant Representative, the CO’s programme/ technical team. External contacts include other UN agencies in the country, and counterparts and partners in Country programme activities, including international NGOs, experts etc.
You would be responsible for:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, the Programme Specialist oversees the formulation and design of the country programme and its component projects in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures. Oversees achievement of programme results by ensuring appropriate policies and procedures are applied by programme team, and appropriate monitoring and oversight mechanisms and systems are established and implemented.
- Reviews the political, social and economic environment relevant to reproductive health, and pursues opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Assesses implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution and ensures appropriate implementation.
- Oversees project implementation, establishing collaborative partnerships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs, and addressing training needs of project personnel.
- Ensures the creation and documentation of knowledge about current and emerging, Reproductive Health issues, by the programme team through the analysis of programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and uses this knowledge for information sharing and planning future strategies.
- Participating in advocacy and resource mobilisation efforts of the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Advanced degree in health, population, demography and/or other related social science discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities;
- Experience in programme/ project management including experience in large multi-sector projects, designing and appraising proposals and actively liaising with relevant and potential project partners;
- Proven experience in coordinating/managing a multi-disciplinary team of staff, experts and consultants;
- Field experience is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN system is an asset.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, rental subsidy, education grant, home leave, health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.