About Mercy Corps Indonesia
Mercy Corps Indonesia (MCI) is a local Indonesian non-profit organization, which implements humanitarian and development assistance programs throughout the country. MCI’s mission is to empower people in Indonesia to become healthy, productive, and resilient communities. Resilience means an ability to recover form or adjust easily to misfortune or change.
Managing Risks through Economic Development (M-RED Indonesia) is a program that operates primarily in Palu in Central Sulawesi to elaborate programming in the so-called Disaster Risk Reduction “DRR-Livelihoods Nexus” by developing and implementing Disaster Risk Reduction activities that simultaneously promote local economic development and generate income. In close collaboration with the Provincial and District Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) the program works with vulnerable smallholder farmers in two sub districts, namely Lindu and Kulawi in Sigi district to promote livelihood interventions that are more resilient against floods, landslides, droughts, soil erosion and the effects of climate change. M-RED promotes best practices in community-based Disaster Risk Reduction (CBDRR), while taking a Market Systems Development (MSD) approach by providing bundled services to the most vulnerable smallholder farmers to leverage economic incentives for risk reduction outcomes. The program has a research and learning component to evaluate the relationship and effectiveness of the “nexus” model to achieve impacts on resilience capacities and responses, and on both the economic and risk reduction impacts as well as drawing on the wider MRED lessons’ learning in the region (Nepal & Timor Leste).
Program Coordinator (PC) – palu
General Position Summary
The Program Coordinator for MCI will oversee the management and coordination of all MRE-related project activities and expenditures to ensure successful delivery on MRED’s commitments as reflected in the project agreement, operational plan, and budget. The coordinator will work with the Program Manager; DRR Focal point, Advocacy Focal Point and operational teams to monitor implementation progress and adaptively manage project activities and resource allocation in keeping with project goals and targets. The coordinator will serve as the principal (day-to-day) liaison with partners, and will facilitate effective communications and decision making between the two organizations on all project management matters. The coordinator will be responsible for preparing high quality reports as necessary to meet project reporting requirements. The coordinator will provide sound analysis and make recommendations to Program Manager on project related matters.
This position will be based in Palu in Central Sulawesi with regular visit to the field in the target villages where the environment is largely stable but the living conditions may be rudimentary.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Together with Program Manager, develop working knowledge of the MRED Program, and project progress, challenges, and accomplishments based on a review of project documents including: MRED Strategy, Operational Plan, quarterly reports, strategy documents, annual work plans for Years 1 – 3, and project budgets.
- Build strong and collaborative relationships with project teams and assistant. Provide oversight, direction, and ensure coordination of project teams to implement annual work plans and deliver high impact results. Ensure that all activities are being executed, are fully budgeted, and are funded
- Monitor and assess implementation progress, identify barriers and constraints, and work collaboratively with teams to devise solutions.
- Facilitate team planning and assessment meetings to assure sound integration across work streams and achieve cross-learning.
- Maintain and strengthen a high-functioning and collaborative working relationship with partners
- Identify key programmatic and management issues, engage with the Management Team and senior staff, and develop sound responses and positions.
- Manage the flow of information and communications with MRED team including project reporting, communications materials, branding, and success stories, monitoring and evaluation, and budget execution.
- Interact with all relevant stakeholders, with emphasis on major government partner institutions
- Bachelor Degree and /or Master Degree in Disaster Management, Social Community, Economic Agriculture or other relevant fields or study
- Degree in relevant subject matter or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of 5-7 years experiences in program management and implementation within an INGO or relative environment
- Have strong livelihood background.
- The ability and desire to grow individually and professionally.
- Demonstrated experience building highly motivated teams.
- Considerable experience in developing and implementing strategic and tactical plans
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytic and excellent writing skills
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesua is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
How to Apply
The vacancy will be closed on 18 March 2022 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.
Human Resources Department
Mercy Corps Indonesia