Fairventures is looking for a
Program Assessment Evaluator for the 1 Million Trees Project
About Fairventures Worldwide
Fairventures Worldwide FVW is a German-based international development organization that drives large-scale forest landscape restoration. FVW partners with communities to develop and test site-specific solutions, ranging from reforestation with fast-growing tree species to non-timber forest products and agroforestry. FVW aims to restore ecosystems and create livelihood opportunities for local communities, while contributing to the mitigation of climate change and creating added value along the tropical-timber value chain.
1 Million Trees
FVW opened the 1 Million Trees (1MT) project in 2015. 1MT was aimed at reforestation in Central Kalimantan through the promotion and distribution of fast-growing lightwood timber and NTFPs. The project was administered by FVW and its partner: The Borneo Institute (BIT). FVW and BIT are looking for a Project Assessment Evaluator who will look at the first five years of the project (2015 – 2020) and evaluate successes, failures and impact. This project is an internal evaluation that FVW and BIT are ordering for a number of reasons:
- FVW and BIT want to evaluate the content of programming to help deliver projects that grow good forests for farmer-partners in the future.
- FVW and BIT want to accurately report successes and challenges to provide transparency for partners and donors.
- FVW and BIT want to encourage a culture of openness and honesty. FVW and BIT aim to be organizations that celebrate wins and analyze losses to grow stronger.
The guiding principles of the research project are as follows:
- Transparency: FVW/BIT are interested in a fully-open evaluation. FVW/BIT want to understand the success and failure of the 1MT project. FVW/BIT want a constructively critical evaluation. FVW/BIT will empower the evaluator to offer factual and truthful findings.
Confidentiality: This is an internal evaluation being requested by the management of FVW/BIT. This is not for external publication. The evaluator will be contracted with 100% confidentiality and the results of the study are not to be shared with anyone other than the FVW/BIT Management.
|The evaluator will submit a 15-30 page written analysis of his/ her findings. |
Questions to be addressed
|The evaluator will deliver a methodology document that explains exactly how the following was conducted: |
Deliverables are to be written in English. Interviews and FGD transcripts can be documented in Bahasa Indonesia or in Bahasa Dayak without translation.
All candidates must have the ability to interview farmers in Bahasa Indonesia and point plus if candidate interview farmers in Bahasa Dayak. Candidate proposal must explain language proficiency and plans for interviewing farmers in Bahasa Dayak when necessary.
Schedule and Payment Installments
|October-November 2022||Field Work||None|
|December 2022||Draft Workshop: FVW, BIT|
Draft deliverables circulated 1 week before the workshop. Recommendations are made to improve final deliverables.
|January 2023||Final deliverables workshop||20%|
The ideal candidate has the following experience:
- Experience in all stages of large-scale project evaluation.
- Experience leading interviews and FGD with farmers and farmer groups in Central Kalimantan, or a relevant area of Indonesia.
- Ability to interview and moderate in Bahasa Indonesia and in Bahasa Dayak.
- Ability to coordinate and work constructively with the FVW/ BIT teams in Central Kalimantan to facilitate farmer introductions and logistics planning.
- Ability to spend a long period of time in the field with basic conditions, living with project beneficiaries in FVW base camps.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and present findings in a concise and professional format.
FVW/ BIT will cover all costs for this assessment. The budget will be fixed with applicant individuals and organizations based on the quality of the proposals submitted. Budgets submitted should be detailed and broken down and include the daily rate for field and desk days.
Qualified individuals or teams should send a statement of interest to
A Statement of Interest should include:
- The CV of the team leader and other key actors
- A brief description of the research plan
- A general budget organized in chapters
- The timeframe that the team is available
- Any questions from the applicant
18 July 2022
The search will close as soon as a selected candidate is contracted.