The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The bilateral project “1,000 Islands – Renewable Energy for Electrification Programme Phase 2” (REEP2) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in July 2020 and will be implemented between January 2021 and December 2023. The project builds upon the ongoing project REEP, which will phase out on 31st December 2020.
REEP2’s aims to support Indonesia to improve the institutional, regulatory and technical conditions for achieving the policy target of 23% of renewable energy in the energy mix in 2025 at the national and regional level.” This objective is to be achieved through three areas of intervention, clustered in three outputs:
- Output 1 aims to improve the regulatory framework for promoting decentralized RE by means of adapted or new regulations.
- Output 2 pursues the goal of introducing decentralized RE technologies in PLN-internal planning processes as alternatives to conventional power generation technologies.
- Output 3 aims to promote the expansion of RE by introducing the previously unused concept of load shifting, especially in small island grids, through private sector participation
REEP2 is implemented jointly with the political partner, the Directorate General for New and Renewable Energies and Energy Conservation (Direktorat Jenderal Energi Baru Terbarukan dan Konservasi Energi, DJ EBTKE) under the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (Kementerian Energi dan Sumber Daya Mineral, KESDM). It further works closely with KESDM’s Directorate General for Electricity (Direktorat Jenderal Ketenagalistrikan, DJ Gatrik) as well as the state-owned utility PLN, in particular on Output 2. Within Output 3, the project will work with the private sector to develop and apply innovative RE technology and business models.
REEP2 will be implemented by GIZ with a team consisting of several Output advisors, a Project Lead, and the Senior Liaison Officer of the Energy Programme. REEP2 will be embedded in the larger GIZ Energy Programme, and work in synergy with other existing energy projects, in particular the “Clean, Affordable and Secure Energy for South East Asia Programme” (CASE) and the project “Strategic Exploration of Economic Mitigation Potentials through Renewables” (ExploRE).
In close cooperation and coordination with the Project Lead, the Senior Liaison Officer, seconded technical advisors and in coordination with the local and international consultants, drive the implementation of technical advisory under Output 2 of REEP2 with the aim to improve the capacities of the national electricity supply company PLN at national and regional level in the three target regions (Sulawesi, Bangka-Belitung, and NTT). This entails:
a. Implementation of power system planning measures
- Support the power system planning with high shares of RE across large grids (Sulawesi main island grids) and their interconnection including the optimization and increased utilization of renewable energies
- Support techno-economic and social assessment (job opportunities) and options for RE-based Industrial Development in Sulawesi, for example within industrial zone complexes with large mineral processing and smelting processes (nickel), target at selected PLN Wilayahs as well as Dinas (ESDM, Bappeda,etc.) and private sector players
- Support analysis to demonstrate interconnection of various small sized distributed grids within targets areas NTT (likely Sumba, Timor), including RE resource identification and optimization, storage valuation and assessment, post-penetration system stability and mitigation, as well as project identification
b. Implementation of power operation and variable Renewables (vRE) integration measures
- Support a technical study on grid management with high shares of vRE, including procedures on system operation, vRE Forecasting to Realtime Operation
- In close coordination with Output 3 advisors, provide advice for load-shifting opportunities utilizing dispatchable RE and productive use
c. Implementation of RE project engineering measures
- Coordinate the development of guidelines on capacity expansion planning, vRE project FS, vRE testing and vRE O&M for island grids, aimed to improve the capacity of PLN Wilayah as well as local project developers in developing PV and wind projects.
2. Capacity Development for PLN.
In close cooperation with the Capacity Development lead:
- Support the development of a capacity development strategy for Output 2 (as part of the project wide capacity development strategy)
- Coordinate with PLN and regulators in identifying additional capacity development needs with regards to power system planning and operation as well as reviewing and assessing the RUPTL
- Contribute to the development of curricula and syllabus in areas of grid integration, power system planning and power system operation, oversee the work external consultants and support coordination between the consultants and PLN Pusdiklat.
- Provide technical inputs to further develop and implement capacity development measures in the area of grid integration, system planning and operation for PLN and regulators (DJ Gatrik and DJ EBTKE).
- Support the dissemination and development of trainings materials to introduce developed planning guidelines to the target group (PLN Wilayahs, local project developers), to conduct training and peer learning on island planning and hybrid design
- Support development of information and training materials for the grid operator for pilot grids on the integration of vRE
3. Support to Output 1 “Policy Advise”: Technical advice for Regulatory Framework
In close cooperation with the policy advisors under REEP2:
- Support policy advisors in Output 1 by providing technical support with regards to the development of regulation or technical code regarding power system planning, RUPTL assessment and review, grid operation and vRE grid integration.
- Link power system planning with policy advocacy, e.g. by supporting the development of policy input papers aiming to increase the utilization of RE, which can feed into provincial and national planning documents and energy development plans (RPJMN, RUKN, RUKD, RUED, RUEN, RPJMD), and can further be used for policy dialogue purposes
4. Management and Coordination
In close cooperation with the Project Lead and the Senior Liaison Officer
- Support annual operational planning for REEP2 by preparing inputs for activities, and contribute to budget planning for these activities
- Develop technical Terms of References (ToR) for contracted third parties (e.g. external consultants and/or service providers)
- Supervise and manage contracted third parties according to agreed deliverables as stated in ToR
- Monitor project progress, assess and review technical reports and documents concerning project progress, determine bottlenecks and recommend alternative courses of management action to the Principal Advisor
- Conceptualize, prepare and implement workshops, trainings, and study tours on subjects that are related to REEP2 project’s key performance indicators
- Assist in developing and submitting proposals for further development initiatives
- contribute to the result-based monitoring system for REEP2 by collecting data and reporting against project indicators (progress reporting), as input for annual reporting towards the partner and the donor
5. Networking and Cooperation
In close coordination with the Senior Liaison Officer
- Develop and maintain close contacts with key implementing partners on the following topics:
- Regulators: DJ Gatrik, DJ EBTKE
- power system planning and operation: PLN Pusat and PLN Wilayah
- private sector cooperation: IPP, project developers, technology providers
- legal and regulatory framework issues with regards to the target regions: Dinas (ESDM), PEMDA (e.g. Distamben, Bappeda, Sekda) and other relevant ministries
- Develop and maintain contacts with other relevant stakeholders such as education and training institutions (PLN Pusdiklat, RE Academy in Makassar etc), R&D institutions, finance institutions, associations, NGOs and donors that are working in the same target regions and possibly also with PLN on power system planning and operation
- Develop and maintain information exchange between REEP2 project and other international projects and/or working groups related to power system planning and RE grid integration, in the target regions
6. Knowledge management and dissemination
- Stay abreast of developments in global and Indonesian approaches for renewable energies (including hybrid) and grid integration
- Prepare presentation materials such as brochures and power-point presentations as outputs from pilot project results or other related activities
- Provide inputs to and develop ideas for knowledge products to be developed jointly with the communications unit of the energy programme / the Senior Liaison Officer
7. Other duties / additional tasks
- Subject to discussions with the Project Lead and/or Senior Liaison Officer, the Advisor may be allocated additional tasks and other duties for shorter periods.
- The Advisor shall be prepared to work in different GIZ offices in Jakarta or in regions on regular schedule and to work on REEP2 project related issues as well as cross-program topics
- Science orientated bachelor or master’s degree in either electrical engineering, environmental engineering, chemical engineering or mechanical engineering comparable specialization with good understanding of technical and economic aspects of renewable energies (including hybrid) and grid integration
- The ideal candidate for power system planning and grid operation with high share of vRE would have the following skillset:
- Skills in technical evaluation of electric power systems including power transmission, distribution and generator management
- General understanding of grid-impact of variable RE systems to the grid.,
- Experience in design of RE and storage systems
- Understanding of economic feasibility calculations in renewable energies (including hybrid) and grid integration applications
- Mastery of energy modelling and optimization software (preferable for power electric) as well as grid simulation software.
- Knowledge in electrical measurements / electrical installation
- Good working knowledge of IT, communication technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Very good communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia, including speaking and writing
- Interest and sufficient knowledge in major issues of renewable energy and grid integration in Indonesia and international
- at least 3 years prior working experience in energy-related private sector and/or PLN is advantageous
- Strong network across renewable energy sphere in Indonesia, in particular for PLN & PLN Wilayahs but also project developers, EPCs, etc.
- Regional experience or prior work in a global organization/event is preferred
- Insight into the International Development Cooperation work
- Experience in events preparation, coordination and organization
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Focused, proactive and positive working attitude
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners
- Aware of social and intercultural sensitivities, flexible and possess a sense of diplomacy
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Availability to travel within Indonesia for short-term project visits on short notice
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: 19th October (asap)
Direct Supervisor: Senior Liaison Officer, Energy Programme
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September, 2020 with subject line REEP2 – PSP
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.