The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab seeks a Policy Associate to support its mission of promoting evidence based policy by contributing to the design and execution of J-PAL’s policy outreach andproject development work, capacity building work. The Policy Associate will be based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI), Jakarta.
Regional offices are where the heart of J-PAL’s policy outreach and capacity building activities occur. Regional policy staff have the opportunity to help take the highest quality of academic research and translate it into action on the ground. Regional offices are housed within major economic research institutions around the world, giving policy staff access to an international network of top economists. Policy staff collaborate across regional offices and with J-PAL’s Global Office at MIT. Regional staff will develop expertise in the development challenges facing their region, opportunity to go to the field to assist research projects or development and interact regularly with policymakers
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Conducting stakeholders mapping, literature review, and identifying policy issue in assigned sectors according to J-PAL SEA outreach priorities;
- Assisting in the preparation of materials for J-PAL’s policy outreach work, including preparing background notes, drafting briefs or memos, and creating presentations;
- Synthesizing research papers into policy products such as J-PAL evaluation summaries, policy memo, powerpoint, blogs, or other J-PAL policy products for policy audience with a clear, accurate, and non-technical language;
- Presenting evidence from J-PAL evaluations to policy audience in a private engagement or a workshop format;
- Organizing outreach events such as policy conferences, evidence workshops and seminars involving researchers and policymakers;
- Following the direction from senior management, building and maintaining relationships with key partners in governments, NGOs, foundations, and multilateral aid agencies in the region.
- Building the knowledge of the assigned J-PAL SEA priority sectors including understanding the relevant policy actors and policy context in the region, and identifying potential policy windows which might require evidence to inform policy;
- Supporting Principal Investigators (J-PAL Affiliates or invited researchers) in mapping potential partners, conducting desk research, and engaging with government or non-government partners to explore potential research collaboration;
- Managing communication between Principal Investigators and government or non-government partners during the process of project development.
- Supporting stakeholder engagement and partnership development to promote J-PAL SEA training activities;
- Taking part as a teaching assistant in J-PAL SEA training activities.
- Providing support in onboarding new staff;
- Helping to organize J-PAL SEA policy and communication events;
- Contributing to build effective management practices in J-PAL SEA’s policy team.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Assisting Policy Manager in conducting monitoring and evaluation to answer donor’s requirement.
The ideal candidate should have strong writing and communication skills, ability to remain highly organized despite ambiguity, interest in working with the senior management of J-PAL SEA, and passion for international development make you an ideal candidate for the Policy Associate.
- Education: A Master’s degree with strong academic record preferably in economics, public policy, international development, other social sciences, or a related field, with a strong technical understanding of quantitative research. Well-qualified Bachelor’s holder candidates with significant related work experience will also be considered. A strong interest in development policy as demonstrated by coursework and/or study or work experience is a plus.
- Experience: This position requires minimum 1-2 years of relevant experience for master’s degree holder or 2-3 years of relevant experience for bachelor’s degree holder. Experience in managing multi-stakeholder relationships and quantitative data analysis skills (e.g., Stata) is a strong advantage.
- Analytical thinking: Able to display analytical thinking in writing, executing tasks, synthesizing academic paper into policy audience, and discussing project direction with Manager and Principal Investigators.
- Communication: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills to translate findings from impact evaluations into policy lessons for policymaker and public audience. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and visual creativity in presentation.
- Time Management: Proven ability to handle several different tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines. A willingness to work hard, be self-motivated to learn and displaying initiatives will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Willingness to travel: Position may require travel throughout the region to meet with policymakers in government agencies, NGOs, foundations and international development organizations as well as follow-up work to promote research projects and other policy and capacity building initiatives
- Languages: High-level of proficiency (fluent or native) in both Indonesian and English.
Note on Work Authorization: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application before May 31, 2022 to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Policy Associate”. Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic diploma & transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Short-listed applicants will be asked to complete a policy analysis and a written exercise and may subsequently be called in for a virtual interview.