About PT ABT
PT Alam Bukit 30 (ABT) manages a 38,655 Ha ecosystem restoration concession (ERC) in Tebo District, aiming to both protect and restore rainforest landscapes, and support the development of regenerative business models in partnership with local communities. The work area of PT ABT is a former IUPHHK-HA / HPH from PT DALEK HUTANI ESA, which ended in 2003. This ERC contains the only natural forest ecosystem of the remaining buffer in the northern Bukit Tigapuluh area outside the boundaries of the national park. However the area has not escaped illegal logging and encroachment activities, especially during the open access period (between end of IUPHHK-HA / HPH until IUPHHK-RE permit).
To secure the long-term future of the landscape, PT ABT must coordinate and develop four critical workstreams:
- Secure the landscape: prevent further forest loss in PT ABT’s ERC through the deployment of rangers using SMART patrolling techniques and coordinate closely with local law enforcement agencies.
- Create community constituents: build long-term relationships with communities within and local to PT ABT’s ERC, through a programme of community development activities, guided by FPIC processes and principles where required.
- Restore the landscape: manage the ERC to meet the regulatory requirements of KLKH (Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup dan Kehutanan), including the establishment of required infrastructure, and restore the forest ecosystem through a programme of natural and enhanced restoration activities.
- Transition from donor to commercial revenue-based funding: develop a portfolio of financially viable business based on the production and processing of non-timber forest products (NTFP). PT ABT, in partnership with the UK Government’s Partnerships for Forest programme (P4F), has developed a pipeline of business models that are being implemented in PT ABT’s ERC.
This is an opportunity to be part of an exciting journey that could change the way rainforest landscape are managed across Indonesia – if PT ABT can prove that it is possible to generate sustainable revenue from intact rainforest landscapes it could unlock a scalable model for the long-term protection of millions of ha of rainforest landscapes across Indonesia.
PT ABT is looking an Operations Manager who is aligned with this vision, and ready to commit to an exciting but highly complex and often challenging role that, if successful, has the potential to be very rewarding both personally and professionally. Ability to learn rapidly and with humility is essential. A minimum 2-year commitment is expected.
Responsibilities – lead the transition of PT ABT from a donor funded ‘NGO’-like organisation to an effective revenue funded business
- Delivering PT ABT’s operational targets across its key workstreams
- Manage team of operational departmental managers, and report to PT ABT CEO
- Lead operational planning cycles and coordination with finance
- Lead preparation for quarterly PT ABT Technical Advisory Group meetings (effectively ABT’s board)
- Department level planning and operational problem solving, including time in the field
- Ensure compliance towards environmental regulations & practices
- Implementation of a structured and robust operational governance system, including:
- Weekly/monthly/annual operational monitoring and reporting
- Clear decision-making escalation principles
- Key operational KPIs at department and company level
- Process for managing operational budgeting requests and reallocation where required
- Document updated processes in PT ABT SOP and policy documentation
- Influence landscape level stakeholders for mutually beneficial landscape level activities e.g. joint-patrols, firefighting, security gate SOPs
- In coordination with PT ABT CEO, build relationships with other BTP landscape concession owners if directly in support of PT ABT operations
PT ABT is looking for dynamic, enthusiastic and resilient candidates, ideally with the following requirements:
- 3-5 years change-management and/or managerial experience in industry, landscape management and/or management consulting
- Comfortable working in the field for extended periods of time
- Strong commercial acumen
- Demonstrated leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Able to effectively communicate (verbal, written, presentation skills) across diverse PT ABT and other stakeholders
- Languages: Bahasa and English (preferred) language skills
- High self-initiative, setting own goals with timely execution
- Strategic thinking and problem solving
- Assertive and able to work across the organization and with multiple functions
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Working knowledge of agricultural product and processes
How to Apply
Please send your Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com before 20 February 2020